Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Apr 15, 2005, 2:10 AM   #11

I have the 50mm/1.8 and the 17-40L and for portraits I would say the picture quality is the same. The 17-40L of course adds the zoom, but it's slower and the picture quality is no better. You can spend more if you like. I use the 17-40L for landscapes and it is great.
hkrautter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2005, 4:55 AM   #12

egartin . . . Don't be misled by the Canon 50mm f1.8 MkII's price of $70. It is a stunning little lens and perfectly capable of outperforming lenses costing 5x or even 10x as much. It is an excellent focal length for indoors, and fast enough to allow you to take photos without needing to use a flash (if you bump up the ISO to 800 or so).
HiltonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2005, 12:02 AM   #13

I have a question that may seem kind of rediculous to some users, but what type of portrait shots would the 50mm 1.4/1.8 be best for (for the 20d and rebels)? Yes, I get that you can blur the background (yippie), but I mean in terms of face shots, face + shoulder shots, full body shots, group shots, etc. Because I'd like to take a lot of portrait shots, too... just all different types, so I was wondering if the "scope" of the 50mm's expertise lies in only one distinct section.
BoYFrMSpC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2005, 12:10 AM   #14
NHL

The 50mm with the 1.6x becomes the optimum focal lenght (~80mm) for a head/shoulder shot - Like you've found out outdoor a shallow DOF can isolate a subject from its background which brings the attention to the subject, instead of the distracting background...

Indoor however one would close the aperture down to have more details and control the lighting with strobes - the defocus is then made by the various 'painted defocus' backdrops

-> for full body/group shot a 50mm may be too tight indoor with an APS size sensor camera - you might want a much larger studio (with lots of lights) :G
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2005, 12:49 AM   #15

NHL wrote:
Quote:
-> for full body/group shot a 50mm may be too tight indoor with an APS size sensor camera - you might want a much larger studio (with lots of lights) :G
Aw, nuts. Really?...Nuts... I really wanted to settle for a small lens to be my general lens :sad: . Time to look for another usm lens with lower mm and high aperture. But unfortunately, I can't drag the people to the studios with lots o' light :-)

But if anyone has any suggestion for an all-rounder portrait lens, that would be cool.
BoYFrMSpC is offline   Reply With Quote