Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Apr 7, 2005, 9:29 PM   #1

Hello all. I am new to this forum not to mention photography. My first digital camera was an Olympus DC320L that I purchased about 8 or 9 years ago. Last year I bought a Canon S400. I really liked the size of the camera for vacations and using it to take pictures of my children.
In December I purchased the Canon Digital Rebel 300D with the 18-55 lens kit. I want to purchase a lens for the Rebel mainly to take portraits of my children. I was wondering if anyone could make a good suggestion for the type of lens I should purchase. I would like to keep the cost under the $200 range if possible.
Also, what else do I need to take a good portrait? What camera settings for the Rebel does anyone recommend for taking a good portrait?

Thanks in advance for any information.

Eric
egartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 8, 2005, 12:21 AM   #2
Super Moderator

the 70$ canon 50mm f1.8 is a wonderful portrait lens for the price, and is made even better than before with the 1.6x crop factor of the digirebel and the likes.. so i would probably have that one high on my list as a starter portrait lens..

i would also invest in an external flash if you do not have one already.. sigma's 500 dg super is a great value at 200 dollars ( i know this from experience) .. or you can get canon's 420ex for a little more (less features though)...

that along with a nice tripod should give you a good start..

enjoy, dustin
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2005, 10:03 PM   #3

Okay lets bump my budget up to ~$500 US. Can I get a good portrait lens for this amount?

Thanks,

Eric
Old Apr 13, 2005, 10:18 PM   #4

The Canon 50mm he mentioned is actually an awesome lens, either the 1.4 or 1.8. This lens is absolutely used by pros all the time - dont let the low cost throw you off.

Camera settings are hard to give you, depends on what you want to accomplish and your lighting conditions.

Since you will be handholding the lens probably, set your shutter speed to 1/90th or 1/60th and set an aperture to F8 or F11. Assuming you have decent light, that should get you started.

Will you be shooting off a tripod?
CDesperado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2005, 9:36 AM   #5

Please be advised before youread this I am a heretic andmay be stoned by fellow forum memers for this advice. I actually use the automatic settings (Gasp!) on my Digital Rebel from time to time.My wife got great results with the Portrait setting on her Canon A70 beforeI bought the DRebel and I like much of what I have taken that way withthenew camera as well. At worst, the Portrait setting shows what your shot looks like at ISO 100 under your lighting conditions. If you don't like what you see, you have a good starting point to change the exposure to suit your taste.

I don't own a Canon 50mm lens but my brother and othersI know haveused them on 35mm cameras and always found them excellent values for the money. Just focus very carefully - manually is better than automatic in this case. At f1.4 or 1.8, there isn't much depth of field so your focus has to be right on. A sharp nose and blurry ears makes for a poor portrait.
ADSchiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2005, 10:41 AM   #6

CDesperado wrote:
Quote:
Since you will be handholding the lens probably, set your shutter speed to 1/90th or 1/60th and set an aperture to F8 or F11. Assuming you have decent light, that should get you started.

Will you be shooting off a tripod?
F8/F11 for potraits? Am I missing something here?

egartin - The canon 50mm f1.8 is a nice start. If you got a bit more to spend, then do look at the 85mm f1.8, which works out good for potraits on 1.6x bodies.
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2005, 11:16 AM   #7

I was just thinking for someone who doesnt understand apertures, F8 will ensure he gets everything in focus. I made some wide assumptions here... but...

A beginner, shooting multiple people on different focalplanes, probablyagainst a specific backdrop/background like an indoor fireplace or an outdoor fountain.

I doubt he is going to be in the creative/artistic mode yet, so yeah, I'm thinking start out at F8 or F11 as a starting point. As he grows more comfortable, he can expand from there.

He just wanted a starting point, at least, that's how I interpreted it.

CDesperado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2005, 5:35 PM   #8

Yes, I will be shooting from a Tripod.
Old Apr 14, 2005, 8:32 PM   #9
NHL

egartin wrote:
Quote:
Okay lets bump my budget up to ~$500 US. Can I get a good portrait lens for this amount?
Here's the other extreme - http://photo.net/photo/nikon/300-2.8.html :blah:
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2005, 11:26 PM   #10

NHL wrote:
Quote:
egartin wrote:
Quote:
Here's the other extreme - http://photo.net/photo/nikon/300-2.8.html :blah:
Easy now. Nice lens but I think I will hold off for now on the Nikon 300 2.8.