Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Apr 8, 2005, 10:34 PM   #1

Iam very new at The dslrand was wondering what are the best lenses there are forit.Always seem like i am getting money but i am not to sure what to buy.

i am looking for a good macro lense or to shoot far away shots if anyone can help tht would be cool l:?

ozzy1134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 11, 2005, 3:21 PM   #2

I think that you are being very general, which is why it is hard to answer your question. I have the 17-85 EF-S lens, which has a macro function, which works quite nicely, I still think there has to be about a foot between you and the subject (I am at work now and my camera is home). If you just want a good macro lens, by itself, I think the 50mm f1.8 has a macro function and it is like $80 or cheaper. Another question is, what does this mean, "or to shoot far away shots". Does this mean you want a telephoto lens (shooting from far away bringing the subject muchcloser to you), or are you looking for a wide angle lens?My 17-85mm lens, on the telephotoside is equivalent to 136mm which is telephoto, but you can get 300mm lenses which is equivalent to 480mm, it depends on how telephoto you want to go.
Nancy Gabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2005, 3:55 PM   #3

An additional question. What do you want to shoot that's 'far away' - wildlife, sports, scenery? This will control how 'fast' the lense needs to be (i.e. what it's aperture value(s) are). It would also be good to know what your budget is. What you want to shoot and how much you can spend will help people provide more detailed feedback.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2005, 8:29 PM   #4

ozzy1134 wrote:
Quote:
Iam very new at The dslrand was wondering what are the best lenses there are forit.Always seem like i am getting money but i am not to sure what to buy.

i am looking for a good macro lense or to shoot far away shots if anyone can help tht would be cool l:?

Here's a nice review of a few Canon lenses: http://www.bobatkins.com/photography...00dlenses.html
AlpineMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2005, 4:40 AM   #5

Hi, I'm also new and I was just wondering if people thought the EF-S 17-85mm lens justifies its cost...

I mean, I'm planning on purchasing the Rebel XT (new to dSLR), but I was looking at some of the sample pictures from Steve's review of the XT and I was really impressed with the picture taken with the 17-85mm lens (it's the picture with the upclose shot of a guy in a racer car). I could definitely notice a quality difference over the other pictures with the 18-55mm lens.

But then when I looked up the price of the lens... :O
A heck of a lot more than the default lens...

I don't really plan on pulling a batman when it comes to lenses (yanking out a right lens from my trusty gadget belt in order to get the "best shot" - okay, lame metaphor...), so I will generally stick to one lens for probably +95% of the time. But I was wondering if that lens really justifies the huge difference in cost :?:

Now that I notice it, how come there are no lens reviews in this website? :shock:

But I don't know... am I the only one questioning the price? Maybe I'm just too new to SLRs...

P.S Sorry if it seems like I'm taking over your topic, but this seems like a good thread for the lenses aimed at the XT... Oh yeah, and is the 50/1.8 lens worth buying? I went to that link posted above, and the guy kept talking about this $80 lens and saying to get it but I don't know what he's talking about... is it really a whole new lens?
BoYFrMSpC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2005, 7:08 AM   #6

I got my XT when they first came out and I got the 50/1.8 and it does take very sharp pictures. But the times when you'll use it are limited, I would think. It's not very wide angle but it's suitable for taking portraits and small group shots. I also got the EF 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 II as my general purpose lens because it gives me more range. (This lens cost $220 from B&H Photo.)

I agree with you on not wanting to change lens' all the time which is why I went with the EF 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 II. I'd like a faster lens for low light situations but have not made up my mind yet on what to get.

Mark

mrcoons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2005, 8:18 AM   #7
TC3

Am getting an XT soon. The kit lens is fine for now while i learn how to conquer the camera. Am also getting the Sigma 70 - 300 APO super macro which is cheap and has decent image performance. After 3 or 4 months i will know better about what lens range i will use most and only then am i gonna spend good money on a decent lens. Whereever you buy make sure they have a decent returns policy so you can have no probs exchanging if you are not happy with what you get

Am also planning on getting the Sigma 30mm f1.4 when it comes out.

Tony
TC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2005, 11:15 AM   #8

Wow, thanks.

A lot of my pictures at the moment are portrait shot anyway, so I'll definitely get the 50/1.8 lens.

But, I was also wondering about the 3rd party lenses. I know the main plus in them is the price but I am worried about their compatibility with the actual body...

Yes, yes, Sigma or Tamron will tell us their lens is specifically made for "so-and-so" and there should be no problems. But for some reason I think there has to be SOMETHING there that's missing...

An example is having a Canon printer and camera. They have that "pic bridge" or whatever it's called so all you have to do is hook up the camera to the printer and bingo: printing commences.

So my question boils down to: can 3rd party lenses really sync with the actual bodies to its absolute potential use?

Maybe it's just my lack of SLR-experience kicking in again... But I just don't want to buy an expensive camera and then get a lens that cannot deliver - I don't really mind spending that much money if the product is significantly different than the 3rd party products.

Also, as I was traversing over a few of these third party lenses, I saw a couple of people talking about the noise of the focusing. I was wondering if this what makes the lenses so much cheaper... Currently I have a P & S olympus stylus 410 (Pics are generally good), but for those of you who don't own one, this is one noisy little bugger. So in my purchase of the XT, not only would I want the camera to be insanely faster (which I already know is...), I'd also like it to be very....well...not noisy...

...quiet! ~ that's the word I'm looking for! :O

So I'm hoping to get one of those ring USM that's rumoured to be extremely quiet... So that's one big thing for me when getting a lens, thanks to Olympus :blah:

And for those that have an XT already: I think I saw somewhere that the camera, itself is a little noisy when taking a picture... is this true?

*prays for it not to be... :?:

Well, I don't mean that very tiny *click* noise like the ones in the P & S I mean like... the film-SLR type of noise with the insanely loud, *CHA CHINK* noise...

:|
BoYFrMSpC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2005, 11:28 AM   #9

I would not describe the XT as noisy, not at all. My lens is a USM and it is virtually silent.

Mark
mrcoons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2005, 12:38 PM   #10

mrcoons wrote:
Quote:
I would not describe the XT as noisy, not at all. My lens is a USM and it is virtually silent.

Mark
I believe the noise he is referring to is the shutter. I know my 20D has a pretty loud shutter (again reminicent of old film SLRs) - not sure about the XT though.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote