Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Apr 9, 2005, 9:27 PM   #1

:? You guys always come through for me. I don't know how to pack my camera and lenses. I am looking for a pack system that might convert from a backpack to a shoulder strap, have enough room for a couple cameras, 4 med. large lenses, smaller lenses and gear. Need to be able to carry my tripod with it, and stuff for a days activities in the field. It will go on canoe trips, kayaking, hiking trips and hang around in the car. It will be carried into buildings and around places for quick trips.
I looked at a regular backpack, but don't know how to pack the lenses and gear for protection and accessability.
Am I asking too much?
Please share your ideas with me.
Golfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 9, 2005, 9:40 PM   #2

Hello,

The backpack i use on hiking in the woods for wildlife shots is the Canon 200EG Backpack. I can pack a camera body with a 70-300mm lens attached, and up to 4 lenses. Here is what i currently carry in mine:

Canon Digital Rebel w/ Tamron 75-300mm Lens Attached
Canon FD 400mm Lens with Converter for EOS
Canon FD 50mm f/1.8
Vivitar Flash
Quantary 70-300mm Macro Lens
Tamron 28-80mm

I also use the pouches for batteries, small table top tripod.
Adorama Beanbag
Extra lens caps.
iPod Photo 30GB
Memory cards.
Plastic bags for camera rain gear.
Planters Trail Mix (in case i get hungry)
and other misc. things

I got this backpack on e-bay for only $44.95 USD which is VERY cheap for a photo backpack. Currently doing a search for this backpack will only turn up a few results. So i would buy one if you can find it on there. I give it 5 stars.

-Travis-
tswen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2005, 11:02 PM   #3

Canon backpack can be had here http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...onics&n=507846

This will most likely solve your delima http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/184681/0

davedeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2005, 8:39 AM   #4

I have always recommend lowepro bags. They make everything from full backpacks for 600mm lenses to a backpack/fanny-pack system that gives you room for cloths above and camera gear below (but that sounds too small for what you want.)

Could you please list your equipment that you want to carry?

One of the big advantages of the LowePro bags is they care a lot about how it rides on your back and shifting the weight from your shoulders to your waist. I know that once I stap on my backpack (A PhotoTrekker, one of their largest) with my 600mm & other stuff in it I don't notice the weight soon thereafter. It really works that well.

There website is really good, letting you look up bags by type, family, and more:
www.lowepro.com

All the LowePro bags that I have experience with can strap the tripod either underneath, directly on the back or on the side.

A word of warning, though. I generally hear that they design their backpacks for a "normal" frame. If you are tall (over 6') you might not find them as comfortable. A better bag choice is this company:
http://www.kinesisgear.com/
They put similar effort into making their bags to be functional and comfortable.

If there is a pro photo store near by, I would suggest you bring your stuff over and try out some bags. Fill up the bag and wear it around the store. If they look at you really funny, don't give them your business. This is really the only way to tell if the bag is right for your frame or not.

Eric

ps. Damn. I just went to their web site and they changed the layout/style. I dislike it now. The page to start from is this one:
http://www.lowepro.com/Products/

It's must easier to browse the products from their then the 20-questions style of guiding you towards the products you want (at least, it is for me.)
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2005, 6:50 PM   #5

:cool Thanks guys for your replys. The canon pack is going to be too small I'm afraid as it doesn't leave much room for other things on the trail, such as, a s snack, water, and those other necessities.
Eric; I have been looking at Lowepro which may be the best way to go. My equipment includes, 20d, 100x400, 50mm, 70x200, 17x85, 1.4 TX, 2 TX, filters, beamer, ND filters, 10x22, soon a 120x300, tri pod & misc, camera gear. Would like some room for camp gear as well. Perhaps some room for a future big lense 500 or 600. I'm not a big guy, 5'11", 170 on a good day so they may fit fine.
I could leave some of this behind, but the idea is to have what I need when I need it, LOL.
Have been looking at the Trekker size packs thinking it might be best to just get a big one. No place to look at them here.
My other thought was a regular back pack, but I can't figure a good, safe, way to pack equipment, so I can easily get to it.
You opinions are most appreciated.
Golfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2005, 10:00 PM   #6

Trust me, you really don't want to carry all that stuff. If you like to hike (I think I've seen some shots of your in the wildlife section here) what you describe will be heavy. Hike/walk around for an hour and it will feel much heavier.

For example, you probably don't need both TCs if you carry the lenses you have now. The 100-400 won't autofocus, and you should probably switch to the 100-400 from the 70-200 instead of adding a TC to it (if you do, then why even carry the 100-400?) The Better Beamer folds up really small, don't worry about that. If you bring the 120-300 (that is the f2.8, right?), don't bring the 100-400, just use a 1.4TC. It will be longer and faster. And the higher shutter speed will probably be worth more than the slight drop in quality.

Very, very few bags can take the 600mm. I should know, I've got one. You can get a dedicated bag, but that won't carry anything else. A few of the really big LowePro bags will, though. The downside is that unless you remove the lens hood, you'll probably loose the ability to fill the lowest compartments in the bag. It's just too wide. So you won't be able to carry as much. One advantage of those bigger bags is that you can rest the camera over your shoulder (on a tripod) and on the bag. This transfers weight to your waist, which makes it easier to carry. Still, it is damn heavy. Sure, 12 lb. doesn't sound like much, but it is when you walk around with it for awhile.

I have the original Pro Trekker AW. They now sell a second-edition model that I assume is as good or better.

http://www.lowepro.com/Products/Back...ker_AW_II.aspx

I like it a lot. There isn't a huge amount of room for other stuff, but you can wear a fanny-pack in front for some extra stuff. If you don't use all the compartments then you can put food and stuff in those. There is a set of pockets between the cover for the gear and the outer shell. So that is where I keep batteries, my better beamer, a granola bar, sun screen and other things. But they do make a even bigger bag.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2005, 7:13 AM   #7
NHL

eric s wrote:
Quote:
If you bring the 120-300 (that is the f2.8, right?), don't bring the 100-400, just use a 1.4TC. It will be longer and faster. And the higher shutter speed will probably be worth more than the slight drop in quality.
Eric has a point - I usually leave my camera bag in the car...

This is the main reason why I picked this 120-300 f/2.8: you can have a 17mm zoom in one pocket and the two TCs in the other (they stacked up and fit inside only one of the included case) - You can cover all the way from 17 to 600mm with this set-up and still be fast(literally) and nimble - ie no bag required!!!

In fact it's the only lens I use most of the time - yes even for landscape:
http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...286768#p286768
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2005, 9:21 AM   #8

NHL wrote:
Quote:

Eric has a point - I usually leave my camera bag in the car...

This is the main reason why I picked this 120-300 f/2.8: you can have a 17mm zoom in one pocket and the two TCs in the other (they stacked up and fit inside only one of the included case) - You can cover all the way from 17 to 600mm with this set-up and still be fast(literally) and nimble - ie no bag required!!!

In fact it's the only lens I use most of the time - yes even for landscape:
http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...286768#p286768

NHL would you mind breaking it down for a noob... your setup sound inviting, which lenses and TCs are you using to cover that range (17-600mm)? I am all into figuring out how to not carry a bag.
:-)
Old Apr 12, 2005, 10:50 AM   #9
NHL

davedeal wrote:
Quote:
NHL would you mind breaking it down for a noob... your setup sound inviting, which lenses and TCs are you using to cover that range (17-600mm)? I am all into figuring out how to not carry a bag.
:-)
Sure - Two TCs (1.4x + 2x) stacked on top of another is about the same size as an 18-125mm (or a 17-85 IS USM) which you can easily fit in either side of your vest pocket.

And then a Sigma 120-300 f/2.8 can become (no one else makes one):
o 170-420 f/4 with a 1.4x TC
o 240-600 f/5.6 with a 2x TC

... but the best part about this lens is in its 'bokeh' - a 300 f/2.8 at short distances has less DOF than my 85mm f/1.2L (or even a 50 f/1.0) - next to nil, and still be fast enough for most shots. You can basically 'crop' out the entire background with it
Attached Images

NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2005, 11:47 AM   #10

Cool! What are you using for the WA? 18-125?