Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Apr 11, 2005, 5:55 AM   #1

A question for someone new to Macro photography.

Which lens would be best on the Canon 20D for doing Macro photography of flowers?
Canon EF-S 60mm F2.8 Macro USM
Canon EF 100mm F2.8 Macro USM
agiaccio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 11, 2005, 7:50 AM   #2
NHL

Both would do
but I would go with the non EF-S, in case you want to migrate later... (also you're only using the best center part of that lens!)

Also FYI - http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...76&forum_id=65
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2005, 3:18 PM   #3

I've got the 100mm and love it. The EF-S lens may not be out yet so you'll have trouble getting info on it. You probably won't go wrong with either. You might want to decide which focal length would fit better in your lens group. I use the 100mm macro for a lot more than just macro shots.
hkrautter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2005, 7:11 AM   #4

I have the 100mm f/2.8 and a 25mm Extender and LOVE THEM!!
mdbassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2005, 8:10 AM   #5

I use a 30+ year old (50mm f/2.0) Zeiss lens on my 20D with an adaptor ring. It focusses only between 13" and 17" from the subject but the results are breathtaking. A watch face will fill the image area.

I have no auto focus and aperture is set manually too, but the image quality would give an L glass lens a run for its money.

Cost was £0 too so you can't beat that

Something to think about it you are on a tight budget
Paul(UK) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2005, 8:29 AM   #6

You can't beat the optical quality of a Zeiss lens.! Nothing much on par with them and what a deal!! Good job!!
mdbassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2005, 2:02 PM   #7

the reason i go for the longer length of the 2 is for working room. i have a 0x crop and a 1.3x crop cameras and just recently purchased the sigma 150mm 2.8 which was brought to my attention by NHL.

this working distance allows for easy use of reflectors and flash (light control)without crowding your subject. setup on a rail you can make excellent adjustments in focus and control you DOF. better too.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2005, 5:22 AM   #8

I would consider the Sigma 105mm f/2.8 EX DG ($359 @ www.sigma4less.com) and the Sigma 150mm f/2.8 EX APO Macro EX DG HSM ($539 from Sigma4less)

I bought the Sigma 150mm from Sigma4less and it is a fantastic lens. The HSM AF is superb. Quite, fast and accurate. Its also built like a rock. Very solid and rugged. Fit and finish is awesome.

I would put this lens up against any Canon. The Sigma 105mm is also supposed to produce awesome images but the AF is slower and the build quality is not as nice as the Sigma 150.

Some folks have issues with buying 3rd party lenses and I did at one point also. When I started comparing lens features and pricing it was clear to me that the Sigmas were better values. Just my opinion however.
Bilbo99 is offline   Reply With Quote