Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Apr 11, 2005, 9:31 AM   #1

I know this might be the wrong place for this question, but I have exhaused all my search options....

When the effective focal length is adjused by the sensor size (1.6 in the case of my future 20D) does the image I see through the viewfinder indicate this?

More simply, am I going to be looking at a 50mm image and taking a picture of 80mm?

If so, any suggestions how to teach my eyes to switch back and forth from the Elan 7 to the 20D?

Thank you,

Will Pelletier
The Mighty Kiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 11, 2005, 9:50 AM   #2

Will,

As far as I know "what you see is what you get" :-) With my 20D, I reckon I see in the viewfinder pretty much the image that the camera is going to take (less a few % as most slr viewfinders rarely show the complete frame). This was the same with my old eos film body.

Of course if you use the same lens on a 1.6 crop dSLR and on a full frame film body, they will show you different things in the viewfinder. I have found that I pay less attention to the focal length (actual or equivalent) of my lenses and go on what I see in the viewfinder.

Not sure if this answers your query :?
PhotoEcosse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2005, 10:04 AM   #3

Yes, that was exactly what I was wanting to know - ie. does the exact same lens appear to be different throught the viewfinder. (I never pay attention to focal length either, and do not want to start.):-)

Thank you for your prompt response.

Will
The Mighty Kiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2005, 11:17 AM   #4

It's exactly the same focal length you see. That's the idea of a slr. You see the picture the same way it will be taken.
Iceseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2005, 9:30 AM   #5

My understanding, though, is that the 20D viewfinder is about 95% of what you actually get. Otherwise the above comments are correct

dcl2q is offline   Reply With Quote