Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Apr 13, 2005, 11:38 AM   #1

I'm considering buying an Digital Rebel XT (EOS 350D). I shoot ina variety of situations, currently using a prosumer with a 6x zoom lens. If I upgrade to a DSLR then I want a general all-round lens with good zoom.

I've been looking at the Tamron 18-200mm Di II which was launched recently. Does anyone know where there are any English review of this on the Internet? Has anyone used one and can tell me their opinion? Are there any other lenses available which cover a similar range?

Gary
garywood84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 13, 2005, 1:03 PM   #2

I have not found any reviews, but from most I have read, it isn't good.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/top...7624/0#1619330

They talk about it some there with links to some photos. The Sigma 18-125 is rated very good by most everyone, and the 18-200 has just come out. There is a Japanese review a few posts down in this forum that is basically just some pics with all 3 lenses. So far, the talk of the Sigma 18-200 is pretty good but no serious reviews of it yet. There is about $150 difference between the Sigma 18-125 and the 18-200, so that may tell you if you should maybe wait. You can get the 18-200 from B&H last I looked.

I am holding out for a few more samples and reviews of the 200 but I have about another week or so before I really need to make a decision.

Some of the owners of the 18-125, sure would like to get your take on the Japanese review of the 18-200.
SuperJeffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2005, 1:10 PM   #3

Thanks SuperJeffe.

It's unfortunate that you've seen comments that the Tamron is not good - I've been waiting a while to upgrade because I'd like a DSLR but don't want to have to carry around lots of lenses for general shooting.

The Sigma sounds interesting - I'll have another look to see how that compares in price. TBH, I hadn't looked at Sigma lenses when I'd been looking because I once remember reading an awful review of some Sigma lenses which suggested they gave soft results.

I'll post back when I find out any more, but, in the meantime, if anyone sees any further reviews, please let me know.

Cheers,

Gary
Old Apr 13, 2005, 1:22 PM   #4

SuperJeffe,

Is this the Sigma to which you refer?
http://www.sigma-imaging-uk.com/lens...s/18-200mm.htm

When is it due to be released for sale? (I'm in the UK).

Gary
Old Apr 13, 2005, 3:08 PM   #5

That's it. Not sure in the UK. It just started selling here last week. I think I remember reading somewhere that it would be "weeks" after, not "months". Again, I have no clue. I wouldn't think it would be too long....probably an issue of supply.

Again, there are plenty of threads here that talk well about the Sigma 18-125. Do a search and you will be suprised at some of the comments. If the 18-200 lives up to the quality of the 18-125, it will be a good lense.I will not be dissapointed in the length of the 125 with 1.6x factor. But, if the 200 is the same quality, why not!

The site that I linked to also has some very good user reviews of the 18-125. Click the Reviews button at the top of the page from the link that I posted.

Good luck!
Old Apr 13, 2005, 3:28 PM   #6

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=13016648

This is a very good review. More bad news for the Tamron fans.

Hope it's ok me posting link to other sites......runs off to check the forum rules
Old Apr 13, 2005, 5:01 PM   #7

SuperJeffe,

Thanks for your further replies. I'll check over them and read the reviews you suggest.

I like the idea of having an DSLR but, at the same time, enjoy the convenience of having an all in one camera (I currently use a Fuji Finepix S602Z) that's easy to carry around. The Canon EOS 350D (DR XT) with a lens like the Tamron or Sigma you suggested seems to be like a perfect compromise but it's just a case of making sure that the lens is good enough quality for the standard of the camera.

Factoring in the 1.6x conversion of DSLR to 35mm, the 18-125mm is actually a pretty close match to my S602Z so may suit my needs. I'll read the reviews and then see what info I can find on the 18-200mm version.

The problem then is just going to be paying for it all! :-)

Thanks again for the info. Will let you know what I find.

Gary