Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Apr 13, 2005, 2:31 PM   #1

I plan on purchasing one of the lenses listed in the coming days. I have searched this forum and read many comments concerning both. I also did the same on anoher forum as well.

Current camera/lenses:

10d; 24-85mm; 50/1.8 MK II; 75-300/f4-5.6 (all Canon)

I really don't shoot anything indoors (sports, plays, etc...) that would require the speed of the Sigma but the extra stop never hurts just in case. Since all I have used is Canon lenses I have no experiences with Sigmas. I have also read that thef4L has had issues when used on the 10d; specifically backfocusing/soft on left side of photo. I fully realizethat anyone can receive a defective product at any given time from any manufacturer. With that said it seems theF4 has been troublesome on a rather frequent basis when it comes to the 10d. Basically, I want a "warm fuzzy" before choosing between the 2; I hate the thought of having to send one back!! The extra cash for the Sigma is a non-player as well but just to let everyone know I can't afford the 70-200mm/f2.8 from Canon (wife would kill me). I sold her on the 2 listed on the basis it will help improve gas mileage....LOL!!!

Any help/suggestions/samples will be greatly appreciated.
Don M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 13, 2005, 4:35 PM   #2

I own the Canon 70-200F4/L and consider a great lens. I have even shot indoor basketball and the lens worked great. I moved the ISO settings to 800 on my 20D. I do not hesitate to recommend this fine lens. I also own a Sigma 50-500 (Bigma) lens and really love this lens for outdoor photography.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2005, 4:41 PM   #3

gibsonpd3620,

I am glad to hear it's capable for such events. I have no problem shooting at high ISO with the 10d due to its ability to keep the noise down when high. I will say that is one thing I love with he Canon DSLR's; makes them very versatile.

Old Apr 13, 2005, 5:43 PM   #4

This link is of my 20d and 70-200 lens.

http://www.pbase.com/gibsonpd3620/20d_samples
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2005, 6:00 PM   #5

gibsonpd3620 wrote:
Quote:
This link is of my 20d and 70-200 lens.

http://www.pbase.com/gibsonpd3620/20d_samples

Great photo's!! I do like the lens but the focus issue with the 10d has me a little worried. Of course one can "what if" a topic to death and I guess that's what I am currently doing...LOL!! I shot some photo's of the Colts/Denver playoff game at Indy with my 75-300, indoor lighting of course, and actually got a few good pics. I was in the nose bleed so I didn't get many close-up shots. I was a little surprised that that lense was able to perform "decently"in those condiions. I had to push the ISO up but like I said, that's a non issue with me. I am sure the f4 would have done much better.
Old Apr 13, 2005, 9:16 PM   #6

I picked up a 70-200/f4 L used at my local camera shop. The price was reasonable and I planned to prove to myself that this L stuff was mostly hype and then resell the lens. What a mistake! The 70-200 L is a fantastic lens. It's relatively light and very well balanced on my 20D. Pictures are sharp enough to compete favorably with my 50mm/f1.4. I also bought a 1.4X extender which works great with this lens. I haven't tried the Sigma but you won't go wrong the L. The Sigma also weights a lot more.
Humrme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2005, 3:17 PM   #7

Well, I just placed my order for the Sigma 70-200/f2.8. Wow, I never thought deciding on a lens would be so tough!! I will admitt I'ma bit leary going with the Sigma vs. the Canon but I went with the reviews and most bang forbuck on this one.Somethingtells me that I will inevitablyfind myself in a situaion where the extra stop is needed.Of course I would then bepissed Ichosethe Canon because I wouldn't be able to use it in said situation. Hopefully I will get a good copy with no issues. Wish me luck!! I will post a few pics of wildlife once I get receive it.I just know I will get better gas mileage now....LOL!!
Old Apr 14, 2005, 3:53 PM   #8

Congratulations on your decision. My advice now - DON'T LOOK BACK! Both are great lenses and both have outstanding optics. I have the Sigma and can tell you you will be very happy with your choice. Looking forward to some of your posts.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2005, 5:07 PM   #9
NHL

Ditto - One can always make an f/2.8 lens an f/4, but one can't force an f/4 -> f/2.8
... plus don't forget the better 'bokeh' which comes for free with the faster lens! :-)

NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2005, 6:09 PM   #10

Wow, GREAT pic!! I can't wait till it arrives;it should be here on the 18 Apr.