Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Apr 16, 2005, 12:33 AM   #1

I purchased a "Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 USM" lens from Amazon but I think I got the non-USM version. How can I tell the difference?
lfdiaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 16, 2005, 8:13 AM   #2
NHL

FYI - there's actually 4 versions: http://www.camerahacker.com/Canon/18-55mm.shtml

You have to hold the two lenses side by side, the ribbing on the zoom ring is longer for the USM... beside it's only a micro-USM so that's only a 'bragging' right - not much different to a micro motor only (both are quiet) as opposed to a true ring USM
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2005, 2:37 PM   #3

Is there ANY advantage of the USM version vs. non-USM versions? I bought the Digital Rebel w/o the kit lens thinking that the USM lens would be even a slight improvement over the kit version. Now that've spent about $30 bucks more for what looks to be the kit lens I feel cheated. Is there a way to tell the model by the serial number?

BTW, thanks for the info.
Old Apr 16, 2005, 9:53 PM   #4
NHL

lfdiaz wrote:
Quote:
Is there ANY advantage of the USM version vs. non-USM versions?
Yes - the 'true' USM allows full-time manual AF overide, but I don't know if this apply to your micro-USM or not... Did you try to manual focus the lens without sliding the AF/M switch?
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2005, 10:30 PM   #5

It's not a USM version. Though the item's description on Amazon specifies USM, the vedor, Abe's of Maine, has some comments specifying that the lens is not USM, I should have been more careful. Crap. But on a positive note, the Digital Rebel is a great camera, it's orders of magnitude better than my previous digicam, a Minotlta Dimage 5.