Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old May 15, 2005, 11:36 PM   #11

Sorry to be late responding, I've been out of town. I use no filter on the 60mm. The vignetting is very slight and I only noticed it wide open when shooting resolution charts. I really don't see in normal pics.
Humrme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2005, 1:41 PM   #12

I would be interested to hear you findings on the resolution charts.

How did the lens perform?
Wes@eospix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2005, 7:30 PM   #13

The 60mm is very very sharp. Actually I think sharper than my 50mm f/1.4 at f/2.8 which is a highly regarded lens. This 60mm is a very fun lens because it's great at portraits and macro and it's light and compact. Sharpness is uniform from center to edges and as I've said, only very slight vignetting at f/2.8 which is not unexpected and really not noticeable except when shooting something with a light homogenous background. Highly recommended.
Humrme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2005, 7:59 PM   #14

Very sharp. Fantastic lens.

Here's a section (corner) of a pic I made the day I got the lens:

handheld, jpeg straight from the Rebel XT with no processing except cropping. Lighting from a table lamp = lens wide open.

Attached Images

mgipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2005, 8:42 PM   #15

You can getthe 105 Sigma 2.8 DG Microfrom Abes of Maine for $369.00. I am also getting a micro lense and I went to my local camera shop today,and everyone knows I like Sigma equipment,and I tried this lense out for about an hour. I would not pay 100 dollars for this lense. It was very slow focusing. Not very sharp and noisy. The auto focus on this lense is useless. This should be a manual focus lense only. I really like and stand by my Sigma lense collection but this lense will never be in it. Just my opinion from 1 hour of hands on use.
arowana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2005, 4:21 PM   #16

ok guys help me out these lense can also be used for regular photography rather then macro?

1texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2005, 6:18 PM   #17

1Texan --

Yes. The EF-S 60mm Macro is a good portrait lens. Can be used for general shooting, but you'll find the AF a little slower than other general purpose lenses.

--M
mgipe is offline   Reply With Quote