Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Apr 16, 2005, 9:26 PM   #1

I recently saw this product on Henrys.com , so I'm guessing it's finally out. I was wondering if anyone has already purcahsed it or tried it out in a store. The articles talking about it say it has potential for a portrait lens and I'm thinking about this one... Obviously not the best of reasons to get this...

wait...why should I get this, then? :?:
I hardly use macro... but 50mm 1.4 doesn't have a ring-type USM (or does it? - I'm a noise fanatic)... it's so stupid when it comes to the price difference of the standard kit EF-S to the NEXT least expensive EF-S lens (which is this one for "only" several hundreds more)...

But anyway, I (and probably a few others) would still be interested on how this lens performs.

Experience is there to Share!
BoYFrMSpC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 16, 2005, 10:02 PM   #2

BoYFrMSpC wrote:
Quote:
50mm 1.4 doesn't have a ring-type USM (or does it? - I'm a noise fanatic)...
It does not have ring USM, but it doesn't seem any noisier than my 85mm 1.8, which does have ring USM. The 50 1.4 is the only non-ring Canon lens that has full-time manual focus.
Ewok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2005, 2:53 PM   #3

I have already posted this on another thread but it looks like I should have posted it here..

I managed to get my hands on one of these yesterday.

Being new to Macro, I guess I have a lot to learn but my first impressions are, it is a great little lens.

I have put a brief description of my first impression and a few sample images here:

http://www.eospix.com/reviews-18.html

I am quite pleased with the Bee (Bug). Let me know what you guys think.
Wes@eospix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2005, 1:02 AM   #4

The picture of the bee looks awesome.

It looks like (in addition to your other pictures) the macro works great. Why not try other things with the lens like portrait (a lot of articles talk about how it can be good for portraits) in addition to other stuff.

A good factor (for me, anyway) to buy a lens is if it has versatility .
BoYFrMSpC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2005, 7:02 AM   #5

I will try and get some more pictures up soon.

I have managed to update the review, so it now has more detail and shows the resolution test chart but I will not be able to get any portrait shots until the weekend.

Work is just taking up, too much time.

Here is the link to the updated review.

http://www.eospix.com/reviews-18.html

I will let you know when I have something more.

I did take this at the weekend while out looking for bugs. Not sure if it shows the lens at it's best but I think it's a nice picture. (I guess it shows the autofocus is fast enough)

http://www.eospix.com/gallery-view-album-MSwildlife.html

Old Apr 20, 2005, 1:05 PM   #6

Has anyone else got hold of one of these lenses yet?

I have tried a couple of macro shots with the on camera flash, but the light seems a little harsh. Has anyone used this lens with the Canon 580 or the Sigma 500 flash guns?

Here is a sample with the on camera flash.

http://www.eospix.com/modules.php?se...view_photo.php

If so, willthe 7 degrees of down tilt allow the flash gun to illuminatea subject just 4 inches away from the lens?

If not would a small softbox spread the light enough?

I have added a sample using the on camera flash, to the sample images, if anyone wants to see what it looks like.

Please let me know if it works, before I go out and buy one.

Thanks.

Old May 3, 2005, 2:23 PM   #7

Well I guess I will have to answer my own post.

I borrowed the Canon 580EX at the weekend and tried it with the lens.

It seems to work OK with the lens just 4 inches from the subject, provided you use the built-in diffuser. I tested it down to F22 and the flash gun provided plenty of light.

It also showed a definite improvement over the built in flash (not so harsh).

I would still like to know if anyone has tried a softbox attachment with either the canon or sigma guns.

Old May 9, 2005, 10:27 PM   #8

I picked up this lens today and it's great! The macro is excellent and the lens is very sharp. There is slight vignetting wide open but only noticeable when shooting charts. It's very sharp at 2.8 (much sharper than my 50mm f/1.4 at 2.8 ). Very impressive. I may just sell off the 50mm.
Humrme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2005, 11:56 PM   #9

IMHO: you are better off with a "SIGMA 105MM F2.8 EX DG CANON MACRO", it is slightly more expensive, 699$ at Henrys, 679$ at DownTown Camera.

The Sigma lens has a longer FL so you get a bigger working distance with it in macro mode and it is full frame so it can grow with you to other cameras.

Peter.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2005, 2:41 PM   #10

Quote:
There is slight vignetting wide open but only noticeable when shooting charts.

Humrme, I must admit I haven't noticed the vignetting. What filter have you got fitted. It might be worth trying some test shots without the filter to see if that is causing it.