Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Apr 19, 2005, 10:22 PM   #1

I just picked up the Canon 17-85mm IS and it looks like a keeper. So now I am planning to pick up a hood (and filters) however every major retailer seems to have the hood (EW-73B) on backorder with no definate date for restock. Has Canon quit making this item? Can anyone suggest a good alternative?

thx

DD
davedeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 20, 2005, 1:42 AM   #2

I bought one a few weeks ago locally, but why would canon have stopped making a hood for a lens that came out like 6 months ago?
Spec3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2005, 8:55 PM   #3

There definitely was an initial shortage of this hood, but I think most of the major vendors have stock now. Have you tried B&H and Adorama?
Pinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2005, 9:05 PM   #4

Pinto wrote:
Quote:
There definitely was an initial shortage of this hood, but I think most of the major vendors have stock now. Have you tried B&H and Adorama?
Unfortunately both BH and Adorama still show backorder as well as amazon and JandR. I found some on ebay shipping from Hong Kong, thinking of giving them a try.

I was mainly wondering if there were decent hood alternatives or if everyone just picks up the manufacturer specific ones.

thanks,
DD
Old Apr 22, 2005, 5:00 PM   #5

Seem to be plenty in the UK. Got mine from Purdy's.
Mike162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2005, 5:54 PM   #6
NHL

... May be they should learn from Sigma hey - The hood (and the case) is included in the purchase price :-)

How much is that hood again for a $600 lens???
My EX lens even come with a leather lens cap extra! :blah:
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2005, 8:21 PM   #7

They punish the the budget buyers, L lenses come with nice case and hood.

FWIW I first purchased the sigma 18-125, based on comments on this board, but I found it "cumbersome" feeling. Couldn't quite put my finger on it but it seemed lower quality and slower (focus) than the canon. I have read many of the debates on here over these two lenses and would agree that the sigma is a good value, however IMO the Canon seems to be more comfortable to use.

Next on my list is the Sigma 12-24mm. Love the WA.

How badly does using a hood inhibit the function of a polarizer filter? I have read conflicting theories (suprising huh?)
Old Apr 22, 2005, 9:39 PM   #8
NHL

davedeal

The 18-125 is Sigma 'budget' lens at less than 1/2 the cost of the 17-85mm with more range I might add

You will see a much better built in the 12-24mm which is an 'EX' - Sigma 'Pro' line. The 12-24 also has HSM which is as fast and quiet as the Canon's ultrasonic... Only problem though is that lens uses a rear filter -> the front hood really does'nt matter then since it won't be in the way :-)
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2005, 12:51 PM   #9

normancamera.com has the EW-73B hood for the 17-85is. It's $29.95 and shipping's about $5. I called to check stock today May 2 and they have a number of them on hand.
hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2005, 3:24 PM   #10

My thanks to hbillsmith. Been looking for this hood and just bought it at Normancamera. By the way, I've owned the Sigma 18-125 and the 17-85 IS. Both good lenses but the 17-85 is much sharper and has IS which is a good thing. The Sigma has slow and loud AF and doesn't quite lock in on the focus. Much too soft in comparison.
Humrme is offline   Reply With Quote