Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Apr 20, 2005, 5:21 PM   #1

Alright, how's everyone doing? I am going to start working like a dog this summer, and for what? To pay off my Canon 300D, AND hopefully purchase a new zoom lens.

This is what I've learned on these boards, dcresource.com's, drpreview's, and fredmiranda's. People have varying opinions. =o) LoL, I knew this already.

Let me state:

1. I am looking for non L lenses... I cannot afford that quality right now.

2. I do not have a problem with Sigma, or Tamron, as long as the lenses have gotten good reviews, and stack up resonably well.

3. I would appreciate samples if anyone owns a great lens and wants to show off, BUT there's a stipulation. My college blocks pbase.com and deviantart.com so if you're stuff is hosted there, I can't view it. My email address is always available if you want to email me a sample or two.

4. I have the Canon Original 18-55mm Kit lens.

5. I am looking for a 70-200mm or 80-200 mm zoom lens. 3.5-5.6, or lower if you can find a good model and price.

6. I prefer to buy, or see prices from online retailers like b&hphoto.com, adorama.com, dbuys.com, buydig.com.

7. I work for my colleges international magazine (freelance, free work, unpaid!) but experience. I have been published now, internationally because of this opportunity and that's all I ask. The chance to grow as an artist!

8. I love taking wildlife shots, thus the 200mm minimum zoom. These seem to perform better than 70-300 versions. I can hopefully get 1.4x teleconversion adapters later. I also take photos for my college basketball teams (male and female), so speed is an issue. I will be investing in a Sigma 500 something or other flash unit. I read that it's quite good, and powerful (highly needed) and a lot cheaper. I also take photos of flowers, and such... I love taking candids, so I will be getting a 50mm Canon 1.8f lens soon too, but those are cheap, and I know all about those.

9. I am forever in all of my fellow forum members debt! Thank you for helping out a full time college student, full time new father ( http://www.quantumdefect.com/tlmille...n/jordan32.jpg ) she's 3 months this up coming sunday. =o) And my pride and joy. Plus I work, when work gives me the hours...

10. THANK YOU ALL!!!

-tlmiller10
tlmiller10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 20, 2005, 5:26 PM   #2

http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/s...t=40#poststart

This is what I'm looking at right now... plus it's in my price range... which I forgot to state. =o)

Around 300-350.00 dollars MAX!

-tlmiller10
Old Apr 20, 2005, 8:36 PM   #3

Here's a few Canon lenses for you: http://www.bobatkins.com/photography...00dlenses.html

Other interesting things about Canon lenses: http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Canon-Lenses/

AlpineMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2005, 9:08 PM   #4

I have a 20D and I use the Tamron 28-75 XR DI as my "walk-about" lens.

I find the zoom range very useful, without feeling like I'm zooming from "here to eternity".

As for a "long" telephoto, I'm considering the Canon 70-200 F/4 lens, which can be bought at B&H right now for about $550, which sounds pretty reasonable for an "L" lens.

On your 300D that should equate to about a 300mm focal length on the long end of the zoom. With a 1.4 teleconverter you could incrase that to over 400mm.

You could cheap out and try to buy a cheaperzoom but I doubt you'd be happy with the sharpness or the saturation.

Try looking at examples at the www.pbase.com website. Just click on Cameras, Canon, then zoom to the bottom and look at samples of each lens.

It should be pretty obvious to tell which are the good or great quality zooms, and which are the cheapos that are only bound to disappoint the discerning photographer.

-- Terry
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2005, 9:18 PM   #5
NHL

I second tlmiller10 for the Tokina - It's an extremely well design lens for the price - all metal construction, internal focus, and parafocal (ie unlike Canon's varifocal)!
http://www.light-chasers.com/Content...a%2024-200.htm
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2005, 10:17 PM   #6

Would anyone recommend this tonika over the 70-200 Sigma?

Charlie
Striderxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2005, 11:35 PM   #7
NHL

Striderxl wrote:
Quote:
Would anyone recommend this tonika over the 70-200 Sigma?
The Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 EX is a much better lens because of the 'bokeh' - but not in the same price range as the Tokina

It's about the same price as the Canon 70-200 f/4L (+ the extra ~$100 tripod collar), but is faster at f/2.8 which is $400 less the Canon f/2.8L non IS - A much better value, I have one:

... beside you'll need two lenses to cover the 24mm to 200mm range of the Tokina
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2005, 11:45 PM   #8

[email protected] wrote:
Quote:
I have a 20D and I use the Tamron 28-75 XR DI as my "walk-about" lens.

I find the zoom range very useful, without feeling like I'm zooming from "here to eternity".

As for a "long" telephoto, I'm considering the Canon 70-200 F/4 lens, which can be bought at B&H right now for about $550, which sounds pretty reasonable for an "L" lens.

On your 300D that should equate to about a 300mm focal length on the long end of the zoom. With a 1.4 teleconverter you could incrase that to over 400mm.

You could cheap out and try to buy a cheaperzoom but I doubt you'd be happy with the sharpness or the saturation.

Try looking at examples at the http://www.pbase.com website. Just click on Cameras, Canon, then zoom to the bottom and look at samples of each lens.

It should be pretty obvious to tell which are the good or great quality zooms, and which are the cheapos that are only bound to disappoint the discerning photographer.

-- Terry
I appreciate you stopping in and commenting and helping. But I cannot goto pbase.com as stated in my original post. =o( I can't search... I can't compare... my hands are tied.

-tlmiller10
Old Apr 21, 2005, 3:06 AM   #9

Then go to an Internet cafe.
HiltonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2005, 12:54 AM   #10

HiltonP wrote:
Quote:
Then go to an Internet cafe.
LIterally, I have no time to do that. I'm in classes from 7:30 AM to 3:00 PM, grab a bite to eat, off to work until 10:00PM, then home to practice piano, trumpet, study, do homework, and eat again and head to bed.

Did I mention helping my wife with our 3 month old daughter and play with her?

That's the regular days... on Sundays, and Wednesdays, I have church which I'm heavily involved in since it's my "calling" in life to be in the ministry.

So it's just not feasable for me to goto an internet cafe. I have no time to waste, any time I do have extra is taken up by computers, games, and photos.

-tlmiller10