Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Apr 21, 2005, 2:40 AM   #1

Hey

So, apparently, there's a huge variety when it comes to taking portrait pictures. But I would like to be able to get shots of people in motion as well as posed shots. I know a larger aperture would help but I was also wondering if there's a specific apeture setting where the background is blurry, "enough".

For instance, I'm looking at the Canon EF 28mm/1.8 USM to cover the wide angle I'll need for group/body shots and the aperture for fast shots (and the USM for silence ).
BUT if I happen to change my mind, what aperture should I be looking for when it comes to speed and "bokeh" level?

I was also wondering if a prime lens will actually be able to cover all types of portrait shots, since a lot of people suggest the ~50mm for the 1.6x, but which is generally good for head & head/shoulder shots. Is it better just to go with a zooming lens? But I notice their aperture is a lot lower (3.5+) unless if you really feel like dishing out $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.
BoYFrMSpC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 21, 2005, 6:22 AM   #2
NHL

BoYFrMSpC wrote:
Quote:
I was also wondering if a prime lens will actually be able to cover all types of portrait shots, since a lot of people suggest the ~50mm for the 1.6x, but which is generally good for head & head/shoulder shots. Is it better just to go with a zooming lens? But I notice their aperture is a lot lower (3.5+) unless if you really feel like dishing out $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.
Have you look at the Tamron 28-75 XR DI or the Sigma 24-70 EX? Both f/2.8 (at a 1/4 of Canon cost)???
http://www.pbase.com/fstopjojo/24702875
http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...27&forum_id=65

Why 'limit' yourself to just L? :idea:
1. You can get much better value elsewhere
2. There are excellent lenses which Canon (or Nikon) does not make - Macros, 100-300, and other ranges...
3. Most if not all Canon zooms are varifocal in design - not very convenient for following action shots
4. Don't limit yourself to just IS lenses either - you can take a snapshot in the dark, but one really needs good lighting for remarkable and memorable images !
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2005, 9:35 AM   #3

So I take it that f/2.8 is enough for motion-shots and bokeh?

And that I should be going to zoom to cover all types of portraits?

:?:

I'm not really limiting myself, but the thing is I see people complain more about a "bad" copy of a 3rd party lens than they do about Canon lenses and I'm afraid I won't be able to tell the difference whether it's actually a good copy or not. (being that this will be the first lens I will buy). The only thing's I will probably be able to notice is something extremely obvious. (e.g. a crack in the glass ):O

And I also don't have anyone around me that's into SLRs so I can't get a second opinion while I'm in the store (and I'm omitting a salesperson for obvious reasons ):roll:
Old Apr 21, 2005, 11:10 AM   #4
NHL

That's a lot of "insurance" premium to prevent from getting a 'bad' copy - Wouldn't it better off buying several non-L with the same $ amount and get extended warranties on all the lenses and returned them anytime (even if you accidentally drop them) ???
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2005, 4:33 PM   #5

Good point. :shock:

But still... Now I'm looking for a zoom, right? I didn't realize lens picking can be such a pain. Just when I thought a prime lens would do...