Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Apr 21, 2005, 3:51 PM   #1

I would like to buy a XT, but I'm not sure if I should get the kit lens or just the body and get another lens some place else. I was reading a review on dpreview and they said that the kit lens was crap and that you should save yourself some money and buy a better lens. Supposedly it gave them a lot of ghosting, but I have heard from a few other people that the kit lens is really good. I'm not sure what to do. I have a telephoto (75-300mm), but I would like to have a wide angle as well. Are there any other lenses that are better then the kit lens for around $100 (USD) The budget is a little tight so would it be better just to go with the kit lens for now? I'm kind of confused about all of this :O.
Thanks
Jon
Minolta_nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 21, 2005, 7:09 PM   #2

Out of all my time looping around here, I don't think you'll find a wide lens as cheap as the 18-55... The only cheap one I can think of is the 50mm 1.8 , but I wouldn't consider it as a wide lens, especially for the XT.

I hear the 18-55mm is decent for a kit lens around $100. Steve posted up some sample pictures mostly with the 18-55mm.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2005_...t_samples.html

He mentions when he uses a different lens beneath a certain picture. (Most of the race car pictures are with the 70-200mm /2.8 L I think). I guess it's up to you whether you like the quality you see out of those pictures.
BoYFrMSpC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2005, 12:32 AM   #3

It seems like the kit lens does OK stopped down a little, so for $100 its not a bad deal. However if I were you I would save the $100, and put it towards a little better lens (maybe just the sigma 18-125, which would give you some more reach).
KM_krazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2005, 5:27 AM   #4

Like the Canon 50 f/1.8 its really a no brainer choice if your budget is an issue. Its not the best in terms of build quality and there surely are sharper lenses out there but, for the price, its really really hard to beat.

I would advise you to go with it and test it out. Its so cheap (in the kit) that it just makes sense. If you dont like it you can sell it. Sure, you will loose money but I am confident you will find it acceptible wide open and pretty good stopped down a bit.

Also, get the 50 f/1.8 too if you dont already have it. I have one (a Mk I with metal mount) and I love it.
Bilbo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2005, 12:02 PM   #5

KM_krazy wrote:
Quote:
maybe just the sigma 18-125, which would give you some more reach.
It doesn't look like a bad lens I was just wondering about its sharpness. No, I'm sure its not gunna be as sharp as an L, but how is it?

Bilbo99 wrote:
Quote:
Like the Canon 50 f/1.8 its really a no brainier choice if your budget is an issue... I would advise you to go with it and test it out. It's so cheap (in the kit) that it just makes sense... Also, get the 50 f/1.8 too if you don't already have it. I have one (a Mk I with metal mount) and I love it.
I was looking at the 50 f/1.8. I figure it will be a great lens to take hiking even if it is prime, because if I bust it then it's not too much of a waist. So you think I should go with the kit to start with? I might do that and the just get an L once I have the money.

Well thanks for the replies everyone! I think I might just go with the kit I could always use it as a "throw away lens", because Steve's pictures with it don't look bad at all.
Jon
Minolta_nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2005, 8:59 PM   #6

The shots in this gallery were my first and second day with the RebelXT and kit lens. Some improvement to be made for sure, but these pics are pretty sharp I think:

http://www.pbase.com/chris_miller/first_xt_shots
ChrisDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2005, 9:28 PM   #7

Minolta_nut wrote:
Quote:
KM_krazy wrote:
Quote:
maybe just the sigma 18-125, which would give you some more reach.
It doesn't look like a bad lens I was just wondering about its sharpness. No, I'm sure its not gunna be as sharp as an L, but how is it?
I have heard its a little better than the kit lens for optical quality, if that is true or not I don't know :-)
That would give you 28-200 equiv, rather than 28-80 of the kit lens.
then again, its $200 more
KM_krazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2005, 11:12 PM   #8
NHL

KM_krazy wrote:
Quote:
I have heard its a little better than the kit lens for optical quality, if that is true or not I don't know :-)
That would give you 28-200 equiv, rather than 28-80 of the kit lens.
then again, its $200 more
You don't have to 'hear' it from anyone... :idea:

There's all kind of pictures sorted by lenses on PBase and here: http://www.photosig.com/go/photos/br...ing-d&id=28176

... and of course if anyone bother to check the MTFs, theses compact 'digital' lenses have more resolutions than many 'L', even if they feel like 'budget' plastic :-)
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2005, 11:13 PM   #9

I have the 20D with the 18-55 kit lens. It got me through for the first few months, but I knew as soon as some cash came in I would be getting something better.

You do not need to spend the money on an L lens as there are quality alternatives. I am about to get the Sigma 24-70 EX. It is f2.8 through the entire range and the MTF charts as well as the sample images from this lens prove it to be a real competitor to the Canon L (if not actually superior in some ways), and at a third the price with a 4-times-longer warranty, lighter and shorter, and a lens hood and case included, it's about as close to a no-brainer as you can get. It does take an 82mm filter so factor that into the price.

I will keep the 18-55 as my walk about when I want more compact size and less weight. When it comes to quality images, the Sigma will live on the camera.

Another thing to consider is that if you are going to be changing lenses on a digital SLR then you will probably want to invest about anothr $80-100 for a cleaning kit- special brushes and swabs to clean the sensor cover. You won't need it right away, but eventually you will need it.

Why spend the $100 for the kit lens if it isn't what you need? The SIgma can be had for as little as $370 on E-bay from a US dealer with a Sigma US warranty. That's only an extra $270 for a wider-range, faster lens.

And there are other lenses as well, so it depends on what you need. Since you "appear" to be coming from the Z2, it will be hard to get use to a smaller zoom range. There just aren't quality lenses in the 20x range. If you aren't real concerned about some softness in the images there are a few 18-200 'economy' lenses that are OK for snapshots, but I would not consider them to be high-quality lenses.

Just my $.02 before taxes.

Randy G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2005, 11:59 PM   #10
Super Moderator

do check out NHL's link above if you need any proof of what a great bargain the sigma 18-125 is..

i mean you can pick this baby up for 250$$.. so if you buy body only, you are basically upgrading for 150$$.. that covers alot of ground from wide angle to zoom for not alot of money.... plus internal focus, included lens hood..

check out the mtf's here if you need any further proof..

http://www.sigma-photo.com/lenses/le...mp;navigator=6
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote