Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Apr 21, 2005, 5:26 PM   #1

I can't seem to find anything on the net about it.

Any insight appreciated

mupmup is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 21, 2005, 6:34 PM   #2
NHL

Because it belongs in the museum???
http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/8917/eflenses.html :idea:
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2005, 6:49 PM   #3

I assumed because I could not find anything about it that it was an older lens...........but thanks for pointing it out.

So apart from the obvious...does anybody else know anything about this lens???
mupmup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2005, 8:12 PM   #4

Maybe your thinking the Canon 70-200mm F/4 lens?
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2005, 2:58 PM   #5

According to the Canon Museum, the EF 70-210mm f/4 was one of the earliest EF lenses.

Quote:

Marketed
May 1987

Original Price
56,600 yen

Lens Construction (group)

Lens Construction (element)

No. of Diaphragm Blades

Minimum Aperture

Closest Focusing Distance (m)

Maximum Magnifcation (x)

Filter Diameter (mm)

Maximum Diameter x Length (mm)
75.6 x 137.6

Weight (g)
Ewok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2005, 12:58 PM   #6

I have this lens. Canon EF 70-210 F4. Purchased new about 18 years ago before USM I think. Solid lens and reasonably sharp. My only grip has been that the zoom will move if pointed downward, you'll have to hold it. I can't remember what I paid for it at Ritz Camera but it could not have been more than $150 at that time.

Don't use it much anymore since I use the EF 70-200L F4.
Ctrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2005, 7:37 PM   #7

This is one of the earliest EF lenses. It was based on the design of the old manual focus FD 70-210mm F4, which was one of the best consumer level zoom lenses ever made, by Canon or by anybody else for that matter. The auto focus versionhas a slightly cut down architecture,so it is slightly less of a lens than it's famous ancestor but it is still sharp and contrasty with good colour balance, particularly in the middle range of apertures and focal lengths. Even though it is "cut down" it is still large by modern standards - much heavier and longer than the EF 70-300 for example. This meansthat atripod is needed more often than for an equivalent modern lens.

The main advantages of this lens are: it is parfocal, that is, it retains its focus when it is zoomed. It has a fast f4 maximum aperture which is also constant through the zoom range, it is very solidly built, it has a true macro capability, and it has optical quality which is better than the average at the consumer end of the range, even if it is not quite up to L series standards. It certainly kicks the butt of rubbish lenses like the modern consumer level Canon 80-200s

Its disadvantages are: it is heavy, autofocus is loud and slow by modern standards, it uses the very old fashioned push pull zooming which is great on manual focus lenses, but not on auto focus, it has no built in lens hood, and no bayonet fitting for an external one (you can use screw in ones)and it is old. Age means that many examples are a bit worn, and the zoom will move under the influence of gravity. Also, most purchasers of this type of lenses these days probably want a slightly longer reach.

Because it is a consumer end lens, most of the ones bought have not had a lot of use, so they are quite easy to find in good condition. Getting one is a cheap way of getting a quality telephoto which is quite fast. When buying one, make sure you distinguish it from its successor which was a 70-210 with an even more cut down architecture and a variable aperture (3.5-4.5 from memory). This later lens partially solved some of the weight and handling issues of the 70-210 f4 but was always a bit of a comromise and didn't last long on the market.
Kelvin Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2005, 7:40 PM   #8

One more disadvantage of this lens: the front element rotates while zooming making the use of polarizers awkward, though not impossible.
Kelvin Wright is offline   Reply With Quote