Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Apr 26, 2005, 11:36 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
VictorEM83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 156
Default

If I was to light up a very big dark space one flash comes to mind Metz 70MZ-5 :G
VictorEM83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2005, 12:56 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
BoYFrMSpC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 339
Default

Heyo, that's awesome, I never thought that type of thing was possible! That's so cool!
BoYFrMSpC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2005, 5:18 AM   #13
NHL
Senior Member
 
NHL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: 39.18776, -77.311353333333
Posts: 11,547
Default

VictorEM83 wrote:
Quote:
If I was to light up a very big dark space one flash comes to mind Metz 70MZ-5 :G
Yeap - I would agree if you have to be mobile like covering a wedding...

In practice however this is like an IBM mainframe: powerful and BIG (weight more than camera + lens combined). It's even fan cooled! :-) :lol: :G

... but not as flexible as a bunch of smaller and faster PC's networked together like several slave flashes working in conjunction with one another, such as the EF-500 DG Super's which will then recycle faster.
-> Can you do ratio or FEC control on a group of slaves for example with the Metz??? :idea:




BoYFrMSpC wrote:
Quote:
Heyo, that's awesome, I never thought that type of thing was possible! That's so cool!
IMO it'll be way cooler if Canon would let their users make use of the built-in flash as the Master like on the Minolta and Nikon's cameras...

The way it is setup now, one needs to buy at least an ST-E2 (which costs as much as another Sigma) or use another flash such as the 550/580EX/EF-500DG Super as a Master to control the Slaves... :evil:

NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2005, 2:41 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
VictorEM83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 156
Default

NHL hence why I havent made a buy yet I have a list of gear I want/need they are a flash setup, a 24-70 F2.8L, A 85 F1.2L, A 135 F2.0L, a 16-35 F2.8L, a laptop, Kodak 1400 printer or other dye sub printer, and finally the 20D or current model camera at that point.

I have currently been renting the 550EX for now because its only $5 per day and that includes a fresh set of 4 lithium batteries and thats not a bad deal in my book.

Alas I need my own flash so my debate is the 2 - 580EX's with ST-E2 wireless transmitter for $1,000 at BHphoto and/or the Metz 70MZ-5 for $750.

See the Metz would be great for sports that I cover where setting up flashes isnt an option and I dont have any good lighing. On the other hand like you said with the Metz you do lose out on some features such as wireless flash setup.

Okay say with football: a nite game with my F2.8 lens the camera set at at ISO 400-800 would a 580EX add the extra light required to get a good shot from 150 ft away or would I need more lighing power than the 580EX can provide?

Its all questions I will have to work with and try some stuff out with any advice?
VictorEM83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2005, 10:21 PM   #15
NHL
Senior Member
 
NHL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: 39.18776, -77.311353333333
Posts: 11,547
Default

VictorEM83 wrote:
Quote:
I want/need they are a flash setup, a 24-70 F2.8L, A 85 F1.2L, A 135 F2.0L, a 16-35 F2.8L
Theses lenses are overkill for flash setup - you have plenty of light why use such fast lenses? The defocus is controlled by the background material, and the 135mm will be too long (at least for an indoor shoot)!



Quote:
Alas I need my own flash so my debate is the 2 - 580EX's with ST-E2 wireless transmitter for $1,000 at BHphoto and/or the Metz 70MZ-5 for $750.
You have two different shooting situations: :?
1. The Metz will be better for the reach because of the narrow beam at the tele
2. Whereas two 580EX will be better for the wider coverage
3. Why get an ST-E2 when a Sigma 500DG Super can act as a controller too for the same cost and also be a flash?
FYI - 3 Sigma's are priced less and perform the same as all the above and the Master can do FEC where the ST-E2 can't (ie no group C control with the ST-E2) + you gain an additional flash!



Quote:
Okay say with football: a nite game with my F2.8 lens the camera set at at ISO 400-800 would a 580EX add the extra light required to get a good shot from 150 ft away or would I need more lighing power than the 580EX can provide?
The 580EX Guide Number (GN) is 58 @ 105mm, ISO-100 in meters, and if you convert to feet it's 190 then.
Since the GN = distance x f-stop -> At f/2.8, ISO-100 the range is 68ft, ISO-400 will be too short (only 136ft), but ISO-800 will do it since your max distance will then be 194ft with one 580EX
(of course you have to worry about ambient light with such a high ISO...)
BTW for 1/2 the price one Sigma (GN=50) can also do it since it's max distance is 167ft @ ISO-800
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2005, 3:24 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
VictorEM83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 156
Default

Good advice, I havent had the time to do the math, and figure out the exact range of each flash with each lens at each ISO. I hate to use anything over ISO 400 so the Metz may be my only option. Because this fall with football 200mm will still be pretty short so I am looking at a 300mm lens or a TC to get me that range, the thing is that cuts me a f/stop or two(1.4x or 2.0x)with the TC but that may be my only choise at that point and without the extra light I will have to use ISO 1600 and that would really limit me.

Alas my my dad suggested for me to buy the 2-580's and the ST-E2 and mount the two 580EX's with a modified version of the new canon L bracket that mounts the 580EX's on the side so I have a flah on each side of the camera thus doubbling my effective flash hence no need for 2 different flash setups.

Plus with the ST-E2 I get much better low light focusing due it its infrered beam and sensor so I can be prefocused with out preflashes and then get the shot without eating up my batteries as fast.
VictorEM83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2005, 3:34 PM   #17
NHL
Senior Member
 
NHL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: 39.18776, -77.311353333333
Posts: 11,547
Default

VictorEM83 wrote:
Quote:
Alas my my dad suggested for me to buy the 2-580's and the ST-E2 and mount the two 580EX's with a modified version of the new canon L bracket that mounts the 580EX's on the side so I have a flah on each side of the camera thus doubbling my effective flash hence no need for 2 different flash setups.

Plus with the ST-E2 I get much better low light focusing due it its infrered beam and sensor so I can be prefocused with out preflashes and then get the shot without eating up my batteries as fast.
You can still do the same with the 500DG Super's the two Sigma's mount where the 2 580EX go on the L bracket and the 3rd would go where the ST-E2 goes

The Sigma also project a low-light infrared beam, so you can still prefocus without any preflash!!! The pre-flash alas would go, but so does the 580EX when the real burst come along - The Sigma does not work any differently... It is commanded by the camera, the difference is those few hundreds $$$ :G
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 3:45 PM.