Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Apr 29, 2005, 6:37 PM   #1

I just got a Sigma 18 - 200 DC lense. I got it mainly as a potential replacement for my Canon 28 -200 USM Lense. I do a lot ofinexpensive event photography (low income clients) and I usually end up using the 28 - 200 Lens instead of my Sigma 28 - 70 2.8 EX lens because of the large zoom range of the Canon. I recently broughta Canon 70 -200 F4 L but it's wide end of only 70mm caused me to miss some critical shots. It also made it difficult to decide when to switch Lens because it's such a stellar performer compared to most non L lenses. Since I mostly work alone, Ihave to sacrifice some quality for convenience.

First impressions is that it's definitely not an L lense or EX lense in terms of build. It's amazingly compact for it's zoom factor. It's quite noisy compared toHSM or USM lenses. It also a bit slow in low light conditions. I'll take a few portraits with it during an upcoming event and compare it with some shots taken with the 70 - 200 F4 L and the Sigma 28 - 70 F2.8 EX.

I have one question for anyoneowning this Lense. What's the largest apeture your camera show at maximum zoom? The specs say 6.3 but the camera says 5.6. I have a 20D with the latest firmware updates. The rep at the camera store said that this was okay. It showed the same 5.6 reading on the 20D at the store. Is it possible that the lense is defective? I have 4 days to return it.

Bill
wsandman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 29, 2005, 7:52 PM   #2

Wish I had some answers for you, but all I have are questions...

re: the Sigma 24-70 2.8; Can you comment on the focusing speed and focusing sound/noise level? As well as compare it to the 18-200?

Also, since you own both, can you make some coments (or post some samples) comparing the 24-70 to the 18-200? A couple of pairs of images taken together- same place/time/focal length/aperture/camera would be most appreciated.. Or even a link to a webpage where you posted them would be just as good!

I ask becasue these two lenses are on my "gonna' buy one of 'em soon" list for different reasons, obviously-zoom range vs. aperture.

THANKS!
Randy G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2005, 9:33 PM   #3

Randy,

I don't have the 24 - 70, I have the 28 - 70 Sigma lense. It'squicker focusing than the 18 - 200. Since it's a 2.8 maximum apeture lense, the focusing is also supposed to be more accurate with the 20D. The 18 - 200 makes more noise than any other lens I have. Maybe it will loosen up and the noise will be less and the focusing a little quicker. I will post some images from my upcoming events on my website in the next two to three days. Unfortunately they will be small and they probably won't really show the true differences between the lenses. Remember the Sigma 28 - 70 F2.8 is older than the Sigma24 - 70 F2.8 and did not get quite the same ratings for quality. I found that under ideal lighting conditions it producesvery good,slightly cooler photos than the photos I get with my Canon 70 - 200 F4 L lense. I hope the Sigma does well because it will definitely be my walk around lense if it does. If I had a Sigma 24 - 70 F2.8, I don't think I would have purchased the Sigma 18 - 200 DC lense. The 28mm on a 1.6 multiplier camera just isn'twide enough. I usually have to use three lenses to handle all the different situations at most events. Now I hope to have just one. The question I hope toanswer tomorrow is whether or not the quality is something I can live with. I also need to find out why a lense that is spec'd out at 6.3 at maximum zoom isshowing an apeture of 5.6 at maximum zoomon the 20D.

Bill
Old Apr 29, 2005, 10:34 PM   #4

If your getting 5.6 vs 6.3 at max focal length, wouldn't that be a good thing?
Humrme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2005, 11:19 PM   #5
NHL

wsandman1 wrote:
Quote:
I also need to find out why a lense that is spec'd out at 6.3 at maximum zoom is showing an apeture of 5.6 at maximum zoom on the 20D.
-> Because the camera is set for 1/2 stop (i.e. the default)
f/6.3 is only a 1/3 stop from f/5.6 so the camera rounds it down

This happens all the time with the Sigma 50-500 f/4-6.3
... Can anyone see the difference between f/5.6 and f/6.3 when the camera is stopped down???
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2005, 11:40 PM   #6

good point NHL
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2005, 12:52 AM   #7

NHL,

I did a quick check. The camera is set to 1/3 increments. I can select 6.3 in the A/V mode. I'm using it out tomorrow.I'll have my other lenses as backup and for comparison purposes.

Thanks,

Bill
Old Apr 30, 2005, 7:17 AM   #8
NHL

wsandman1

You're welcome!

FYI - This lens is also an excellent alternative:
http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/s...t=40#poststart

1. It is very well built (all-metal) of Hoya famed
2. Is a full-frame which means it's even better on a cropped 20D/XT ! (... and you can grow with it when update to a full sensor)
3. It's a parafocal - extremely difficult to design in such a wide range zoom:
"The AT-X 242 AF is what is commonly referred to as a parafocal lens, meaning when focus is achieved at a telephoto focal length, it is possible to zoom back to a wide angle and maintain focus on the subject."
-> You can track action shot @ the wide and not lose focus when zoomed in !:idea:
Old Apr 30, 2005, 8:03 AM   #9

NHL Wrote:
Quote:
1. It is very well built (all-metal) of Hoya famed
2. Is a full-frame which means it's even better on a cropped 20D/XT ! (... and you can grow with it when update to a full sensor)
3. It's a parafocal - extremely difficult to design in such a wide range zoom:
"The AT-X 242 AF is what is commonly referred to as a parafocal lens, meaning when focus is achieved at a telephoto focal length, it is possible to zoom back to a wide angle and maintain focus on the subject.
Quote:
This seems to be an execellent alternative. Especially with the ability to zoom in and focus at full magnification and then back off to the desired framing. The 18 - 200 DC is my first digital (cropped) lense. I probably won't get any more real soon because of the possibility of going to a full frame.
Old Apr 30, 2005, 8:40 AM   #10
NHL

wsandman1 wrote:
Quote:
This seems to be an execellent alternative. Especially with the ability to zoom in and focus at full magnification and then back off to the desired framing. The 18 - 200 DC is my first digital (cropped) lense. I probably won't get any more real soon because of the possibility of going to a full frame.
Aaah - but this is what the Canon cheerleaders 'forgot' to tell you: The Tamron/Sigma 'digital' lenses will work on a full-frame/film camera (albeit not as optimum) - The EF-S with their shorter retro-focus are just expensive paper weights on a full-frame! :-) :lol: :G

Let's buy another round of Canon lenses everyone... :idea: