Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Apr 30, 2005, 5:01 PM   #1

Has any one used this lens? I've been looking for a Sigma 100-300F4 but haven't had any luck. This one keeps being recommended by local stores. It would be used on a Rebel XT. Costs about the same as special ordering the Sigma.

Thanks

//jim
killdeer0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 30, 2005, 7:21 PM   #2

I just got this lens a few days ago. I spent a lot of time researching online to find reviews that would support this purchase. There certainly is a considerable difference of opinion out there. I also have a 70-200L f/4 which I love but it's just a little to big to travel easily and I do a lot of travel. I love the DO. I went today with my 10 year old daughter and we both got some excellent shots. It compares very favorably with my L and the IS really makes a difference for me since I shoot primarily handheld. The build quality is not on par with the L but it's OK. My biggest gripe is that the zoom is heavy out and light in. It almost feels spring loaded, probably due to the weight of the glass. It's compact but weights as much as the L making it feel even heavier. It does have a zoom lock and definetly needs it. Let me know if you would like some samples. Here is a site with a good review that is consistent with my results: http://www.e-fotografija.com/artman/...icle_306.shtml
Humrme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2005, 7:01 AM   #3
NHL

killdeer0007

Instead of asking everyone to recommend you a 100-300 - why don't you ask yourself what are you going to use the lens for?

To me if I want to travel light and shooting landscapes I would definetly pick an EF 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 DO IS USM, the DO design is very discreet but come with some compromises for its compactness which you can pick up from any googling...

If you are after action shots from afar then no IS in the world is going to help especially with a stop slower in the shutter speed department, and if you're after birding then a relatively cheap 1.4x TC can bring the Sigma 100-300 f/4 to a 420 f/5.6 with still excellent results from the links that I posted before. (... which can potentially save you from buying another long lens which you will then have to carry)

It's your end use - no one here can 'recommend' what's right for you. :idea:
It's - will the lens do what you want it to do for that $$$... Clearly they both can!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2005, 9:03 AM   #4

NHL - the Sigma 100-300F4 is the lens I'm most interested in. They only problem is finding one. Local shops will only special order them. They have had no experience with it and can't recommend it for the Rebel XT. That's why Ive been asking so many questions for alternative combinations. I would like to try the lens first because there is no exchange privilege with special orders.

//jim
Old May 2, 2005, 6:27 AM   #5
NHL

Don't they ship international too? - http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...merService.jsp

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=319783&is=USA
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=217722&is=REG
Old May 2, 2005, 5:02 PM   #6

I finally found a store that carries higher end Sigma lenses (locally). Unfortunately they didn't have the 100-300 F4 in stock. They are going to lend me the 70-200 F2.8 with a 1.4 converter. It's about $150 more than the F4. If I like that combination,then I will buy it. Otherwise they will bring in the other one for me. I should be snapping away tomorrow night.

//jim
Old May 3, 2005, 12:47 AM   #7
NHL

killdeer0007

I have the 70-200 f/2.8 EX, and this lens is famous for it's 'bokeh' @ f/2.8, hence it can never equal the 100-300mm f/4 especially when you 'magnify' this 'out-of-focus' effect with a 1.4x teleconverter! :?

-> You should really evaluate this lens without a TC which is more suitable for indoor than the longer 100-300 f/4 meant more for outdoor - Their designs are very close with internal focus and zooming which is similar to most high-end zooms, meaning their lenght stay constant and 'balanced' throughout the whole zoom range. This may not be important to some people, but lenses that 'trombone' in and out tend to s_uck dust into the camera by the vacuum they created more than others - You can clearly see this outcome from the above link:

Old May 3, 2005, 7:30 AM   #8
Super Moderator

kildeer,

The 70-300mm DO is a very versatile lens, and if it suits your needs it comes very highly recommended.

I would suggest if you main interest is wildlife then it's not the best choice, you would be better off with a big fast beast along the lines that NHL favours.

Having said that however it is an excellent all-purpose lens in good light and an excellent landscape lens in all light. It can serve as a decent wildlife lens when married to a camera that has good high-ISO performance, and of course a photographer who is willing to learn its foibles and take some time to get the best out of it.

In my experience it does need extra sharpening either in camera or in photoshop, compared to some other lenses. However as long as you do that it has some excellent qualities. It's chief selling point IMO is the unique combination of high optical quality in an extremely compact package.

Compared to the sigma 100-300 it is less than half the size and weight plus it has the IS which is simply brilliant.

This image was hand-held in very low light: @300mm (*1.6=480mm) ISO3200, f5.6, 1/50s. [And no - that's not a typo the EXIF data is in the photo if you don't believe it!]

To get that shot with the Sigma 100-300 you would need to be carrying a tripod/monopod. And of course at 1/50s you do need to be patient because I have a few shots with a sharp background and a blurred (because of motion) monkey.

The photo above was one shot of a selection I took at the zoo recently:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...93&forum_id=11

I've been getting a lot of keepers with this lens; landscape, portrait and wildlife:

http://vanderwooks.blogspot.com

A lot of discussion in an earlier thread:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...ight=70-300+DO

And finally, to give you an idea of how compact it really is: That's the DO lens on the right, with the green stripe, between the 20D and the 17-85.
Attached Images

peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2005, 8:40 AM   #9
NHL

peripatetic

At 300 f/4 you'll be @ 1/100s (instead of 1/50s @ f/5.6) all else being equal:
-> One may get a higher % of keepers this way... (because of motion) :-) :lol: :G

but then with my big fast beast the 120-300mm @ f/2.8 EX, I can then freeze any thing in its track from sunrise to sunset (i.e. EV-10) :idea:
http://home.earthlink.net/~terryleed...s.htm#lowlight

... and have a nicer 'Bokeh' to top it off! :blah:
Old May 3, 2005, 8:48 AM   #10
Super Moderator

Can you really get sharp hand-held images @300mm & 1/100s?

Impressive!!

Go on - put up a picture of the beast next to the camera & the point will be clear I think.

Heck - I certainly wouldn't claim that the DO is as good a lens, not by a fair margin. But I had the DO on my 20D slung around my neck for 6 hours with no ill-effects. Betcha you can't do that with the beast. :-)

Also I think perhaps you tend to overstate the bokeh issue just a bit on long lenses. At 300mm the DOF is pretty shallow anyway.

Attached Images

peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote