Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Apr 30, 2005, 11:51 PM   #1

Hey all - New to the forum, shopping for my first "starter lens" for my Rebel XT...

So I see Ritz has a Quantaray 18-125 DC, and it looks EXACTLY like the Sigma. I ma considering ordering my camera from Ritz, and am pretty set on the Sigma 18-125 as my first lens (and not my last by a long shot...) So I asked Ritz customer care if their Quantaray 18-125 DC was manufactured by Sigma. First, I'll provide a link to the lens, then Ritz's response. Basically, they say it is manufactured by Sunpak, not Sigma...

Quantaray 18-125 DC:

http://www.ritzcamera.com/webapp/wcs...1022%3Bc914962

Sigma 18-125 DC:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=324385&is=REG

Ritz Camera Customer Service email:

To: [email protected]; [email protected];
[email protected]

Subject: Re: ritzcamera.com : Thanks for the reply. Please clarify, however. I asked if the Quantaray 18-125 DC lens was manufactured by Sigma, and you said: "They are manufactured by Sunpak and leading name in lens manufacturing". Not only is that not correct English, it doesn't make any sense. Please clarify and confirm for your response. For the Quantaray 18-125 DC lens (Which is identical to the Sigma 18-125 DC lens), is this lens manufactured by Sigma? And if so, is it the same quality as the standard Sigma lens? Please answer both simple questions clearly. Thanks again.

Chris M.
www.millertechservices.com

ANSWER:

We are sorry for the inconvenience caused.

This is in response to your question regarding Quantaray lenses and sigma lenses.

We would like to confirm that the Quantaray 18-125 DC lens is same as the Sigma 18-125 DC lens in terms of quality and standards.

However they are manufactured by different manufacturers. Quantaray lens is manufactured by Sunpak whereas Sigma lens is maunfactured by Sigma.

Please feel free to get back to us for further assistance.

Sincerely,
Robert Hopkins
Customer Service
www.RitzCamera.com

...Can these two clearly identical lenses be manufactureed by different manufacturers?

ChrisDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 1, 2005, 6:32 AM   #2
NHL

ChrisDM wrote:
Quote:
...Can these two clearly identical lenses be manufactureed by different manufacturers?
I don't know, but I've seen clearly identical minivans 'manufactured' by Nissan and Ford, but they have different warranties
... ditto with some compact cars from Toyota and GM, or sport coupes from Mitsubishi and Chrysler/Daimler.

-> It's been done on all kinds of thing including the iPod's from both HP and Apple - Why not on lenses. Ask them who cover the warranty service or repair, which is reflected in the price of the products :?
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2005, 9:39 AM   #3

looking just like it doesnt mean anything.I work in NYC and see a ton of watches that look like Rolexs,see ton of sunglasses that look like Oalky and so on.They evem say those names on them and they are some great deals on them too.LOL

My opinion is for the extra $20 buy the better name brand.Remember that not to long ago that Sigma use to be the Sunpack compared to Cannon.Sunpack makes a nice tripod but dont know if they make a nice lens yet.

Charlie

PS - I am a newbie too and have bought a Sigma lens and like it so far.
Striderxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2005, 1:05 PM   #4

Yeah, I guess they could be manufactured from different sources... What is strange though is that Sunpak also labels its own products extensively, including flashes and tripods of course, and conversion lenses and filters. But what I can't find is an actual lens (not including teleconverters) with the Sunpak name on it. If they actually do make lenses and brand their own products, why wouldn't they do this with lenses? They don't even say that they make lenses on their own website...

I was actually hoping that this "Quantaray" 18-125 DC was a rebranded Sigma lens, as I plan to but my XT from Ritz, but I will just buy the Sigma elsewhere.
Old May 3, 2005, 2:02 AM   #5

I can tell you for a fact that the Quantaray lenses are indeed Sigma Lenses.

In regards to the distribution part of it.. they may be distributed via Sunpak, as Ritz deals A LOT with Sunpak in terms of third party items (batteries, albums, tripods, accessories), so that is a possibility. But the actual lens itself isa Sigma.
Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2005, 8:47 AM   #6

Mayhem wrote:
Quote:
I can tell you for a fact that the Quantaray lenses are indeed Sigma Lenses.

In regards to the distribution part of it.. they may be distributed via Sunpak, as Ritz deals A LOT with Sunpak in terms of third party items (batteries, albums, tripods, accessories), so that is a possibility. But the actual lens itself is a Sigma.
I'd have to agree with you. They are identical. I wish Ritz customer service would have just said so... I would have bought my lens from them if they had. Unfortunately, they probably didn't even know who made it.

It reminds me of being frustrated whenever I shop for retail camera equipment and having to explain things to the salespeople...

Do you think it might be a Sigma "second", or any other quality less than the actual Sigma branded DC 125?