Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old May 1, 2005, 3:43 PM   #1

I have been looking at a Tokina 24-200mm f3.5-5.6 at B&H Photo for 299.99 with a 30 dollar rebate. Gets decent reviews, sharp results for what it is... etc.

But I have a budget of 300.00 dollars. Could I get a "lesser" or 70-300 Sigma, or Canon, AND a 50mm Canon 1.8f Mark II for 300.00 total?

Help me guys... I'm in the US. I'm a member here, dcresource.com and shutterfreaks.com and I'm asking everyone I know help me make these first oh so important first lens decisions. Thanks for the help!

-tlmiller10
Tim
tlmiller10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 1, 2005, 8:13 PM   #2

Depends if you like to change lenses or not, and what you're trying to photograph.

If you think you'll likely be too lazy to change lenses, then it would make sense to get a zoom that covers the range your likely to need.

If you like to change lenses, then probably two lenses won't do it in the long run.

You won't go wrong with the Canon 50mm F1.8. Then it's a question if you want to get a few zooms and/or primes to fill in the other focal lengths you're likely to use.

I stay in the 28m-75mm range for most portait style stuff. I use a fast 50mm F1.4 for low light situations. I just ordered a 70-200 zoom for medium telephoto work.

-- Terry
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2005, 8:56 PM   #3

[email protected] wrote:
Quote:
Depends if you like to change lenses or not, and what you're trying to photograph.

If you think you'll likely be too lazy to change lenses, then it would make sense to get a zoom that covers the range your likely to need.

If you like to change lenses, then probably two lenses won't do it in the long run.

You won't go wrong with the Canon 50mm F1.8. Then it's a question if you want to get a few zooms and/or primes to fill in the other focal lengths you're likely to use.

I stay in the 28m-75mm range for most portait style stuff. I use a fast 50mm F1.4 for low light situations. I just ordered a 70-200 zoom for medium telephoto work.

-- Terry
Well I "need" f2.8L glass, don't we all? =o) Since I do yearbook coverage for my college's basketball teams and other low light or poor light situations. But I think the Tokina 24-200mm will do me extremely well.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/s...t=40#poststart

What do you think?

-tlmiller10
Tim
tlmiller10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2005, 6:21 AM   #4
NHL

tlmiller10 wrote:
Quote:
Could I get a "lesser" or 70-300 Sigma, or Canon, AND a 50mm Canon 1.8f Mark II for 300.00 total?
You could -> but you'll end up with three lenses instead of one for about the same coverage...

FYI - "Extending the focal length range from 200mm to 300mm provides a narrowing of the diagonal covering angle of 3 degrees, 45 minutes while widening a lens from 28mm to 24mm gives you 14 degrees more coverage. The gain is far more visible and impressive than the difference between 200- and 300mm."
http://www.popphoto.com/article.asp?...article_id=309

The 18-200 is another option: http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...37&forum_id=65
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote