Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old May 3, 2005, 9:23 PM   #1

I was considering the Canon 28-135 IS USM lens for my 20D as my everyday walk-around lens until I came across a Canon 28-135 IS USM vs Tamron 28-75 f2.8XR Di lens review. I already have the kit lens, the 50mm 1.8, and the Canon 75-300 IS USM lenses. I went ahead and bought the Tamron...it should be here next week. After further research, I came across an excellent review of the Sigma 24-70 f2.8 EX DGlens...supposedly another good lens as well. I believe the Tamron and Sigma are similarly priced. I did a google search for a lens comparison between the two, but I could not find any detailed comparison. Did I make the right choice, or should I have gone with the Sigma?

I've also seen a few comments on "bad" and "good" copies of the Tamron lens. How do I know that what I got is a "good" copy?
AlpineMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 3, 2005, 10:01 PM   #2
NHL

AlpineMan wrote:
Quote:
... I came across an excellent review of the Sigma 24-70 f2.8 EX DG lens...supposedly another good lens as well. I believe the Tamron and Sigma are similarly priced. I did a google search for a lens comparison between the two, but I could not find any detailed comparison. Did I make the right choice, or should I have gone with the Sigma?
FYI - http://www.pbase.com/fstopjojo/24702875
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2005, 11:34 PM   #3
Super Moderator

they are both excellent lenses, enjoy your purchase... actually they are all 3 great lenses, i still love my 28-135 despite wishing at times i woulda got the sigma.. imho you can't go wrong with any....
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2005, 11:44 PM   #4

I just sold my D-70 and bought a 20 D 3 weeks ago. And with my 20 D I bought a 28-300 Tamron lense. That was a mistake. That had to be the worst lense I had ever bought. Not sharp at all at any focal length or aperature. So I returned it and bought a 24-70 sigma lense. Not bad but was noisy and a little slow to AF. Was mostly sharp at all focal lengths at an aperature of f8 to f 16. So I returned it and bought the Tamron 28-75 XR Di and I have to say It is an awsome lense. I have taken more than 1000 photos with it from family groups to landscapes and car races and evry single photo I have taken were keepers. Sharp,in focus and well saturated. I will keep this lense and guard it with my life. I used to come home from shooting pictures and wonder how many pictures I was going to have to delete with my D-70 and now with my 20 D and this 28-75 Tamron I wonder where I am going to find room to keep them all.
arowana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2005, 12:47 AM   #5
Super Moderator

thats odd.. all i have ever heard has pointed to the sigma having the advantage in af speed...
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2005, 6:30 AM   #6
NHL

Hards80 wrote:
Quote:
thats odd.. all i have ever heard has pointed to the sigma having the advantage in af speed...
Again folks just love to blame the equipments instead of their own skills...

http://www.photosig.com/go/photos/br...ing-d&id=17072
http://www.photosig.com/go/photos/br...ing-d&id=17068
... or one could google pBase with the same results
Old May 4, 2005, 1:02 PM   #7

I also read about the Sigma 24-70's slow AF when used with the 20D. Not really sure if its a problem with the lens or a problem with the user.
Old May 4, 2005, 1:17 PM   #8

NHL wrote:
Quote:
AlpineMan wrote:
Quote:
... I came across an excellent review of the Sigma 24-70 f2.8 EX DG lens...supposedly another good lens as well. I believe the Tamron and Sigma are similarly priced. I did a google search for a lens comparison between the two, but I could not find any detailed comparison. Did I make the right choice, or should I have gone with the Sigma?
FYI - http://www.pbase.com/fstopjojo/24702875

Yup...that's the review I saw on the Sigma vs Tamron...not very detailed review/comparison though.

I keep seeing that the Sigma 24-70 EX DG is better built than the Tamron...but, both are very close OPTICALLY. One of my purchasing decision was also based on the fact that Tamron offered a longer warranty...6 years.
Old May 4, 2005, 1:53 PM   #9

You should move to Canada, The Sigma EX line has a 7 year warranty here :-)

Gentec is the Canadian importer distributor for Sigma, stores tend to sell for less
http://www.gentec-intl.com/Default.a...d_id=EX2470DGC

Amplis is the Canadian importer distributor for Tamorn, stores tend to sell for less.
http://www.amplis.com/new/tamron/spaf28-75.html

Peter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineMan
I keep seeing that the Sigma 24-70 EX DG is better built than the Tamron...but, both are very close OPTICALLY. One of my purchasing decision was also based on the fact that Tamron offered a longer warranty...6 years.
[color=black]
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2005, 2:05 PM   #10
NHL

AlpineMan wrote:
Quote:
I keep seeing that the Sigma 24-70 EX DG is better built than the Tamron...but, both are very close OPTICALLY.
Here's the differences:
1. The 'EX' is bigger more like the size of the 24-70 f/2.8 L
2. It's a full frame - you can re-use this lens (and only use the best cropped part for now) on a 1Ds
3. All metal with the EX and there's a useful DOF window
4. Semi 'full-time' overide of the AF by just pulling the focusing ring
5. Give you a full 13 degree more of coverage!
(ie the perspective going from 70-75mm is 'small' as opposed to the dramatic difference between 28mm -> 24mm)

IMO you can't go wrong with either one - It's whatever tickle you
... ditto with the Canon 24-70 f/2.8L if you can afford it :lol: