Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old May 10, 2005, 1:25 AM   #11

ttmatsu wrote:
Quote:
He said $500 or less and the 70-200 f2.8 is $750 plus another $150 for the tc. That $500 basically limits him to the "consumer" grade zooms and I think everyone agrees that 200 is too short without severe cropping so the optically wonderful 70-200 f4 L is out. A lot depends on how close to the pier or waterline at the beach the surfers are. I would go with the Tokina 80-400 because it gives you the longest reach of any consumer zoom while staying under $400. Almost all the lower priced zooms will be "soft" on the long end so you'll need to sharpen them. Also, with the 3rd party lenses, the focusing will be slower than with a Sigma HSM or Canon USM lens.

As long as you stick to bright days, you should be able to stop it down and still get a high enough shutter speed.
Thanks for suggesting this.. I've been researching options for weeks and have never seen this lens before.
ChrisDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2005, 6:24 AM   #12
NHL

ChrisDM wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for suggesting this.. I've been researching options for weeks and have never seen this lens before.
There's also this lens around $400: http://www.sigmaphoto.com/lenses/len...75&navigator=3
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2005, 9:05 AM   #13

NHL wrote:
Quote:
There's also this lens around $400: http://www.sigmaphoto.com/lenses/len...75&navigator=3
[/quote]

There's another one I haven't considered before.. Thanks NHL. I'm beginning to find this forum "friendlier" than another I have been trying to get some help in... Thanks again.
Old May 10, 2005, 10:09 PM   #14

Since money is an issue, just want to point out that none of these lenses, and probably your camera too, are "weather sealed". With sand and salt being blown around, you want to be careful about getting it into your lens as you zoom in and out. Wipe down the barrel of your zoom when you get to your car, wipe your camera body, and clean the front element of your lens (blow to get particles off then use some type of solution, don't just wipe the lens element or filter). I would probably get a UV filter - this is a touchy subject for some people but considering the environment you intend to use the lens in, I'd attach a filter.
ttmatsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2005, 12:13 AM   #15

ttmatsu wrote:
Quote:
Since money is an issue, just want to point out that none of these lenses, and probably your camera too, are "weather sealed". With sand and salt being blown around, you want to be careful about getting it into your lens as you zoom in and out. Wipe down the barrel of your zoom when you get to your car, wipe your camera body, and clean the front element of your lens (blow to get particles off then use some type of solution, don't just wipe the lens element or filter). I would probably get a UV filter - this is a touchy subject for some people but considering the environment you intend to use the lens in, I'd attach a filter.
That makes sense. I appreciate the advice.
Old May 12, 2005, 12:01 AM   #16

Me again... I just got my XT kit today and the tele lens I went with was the Canon 75-300IS, mostly because I am a big Canon fan, I love IS, and because of this article:

http://www.photo.net/equipment/canon/300_compare/

Basically, it says that if you aren't a pro, the 75-300 IS can produce some decent images with a little photoshop magic. And you don't have to spend $1500.. So, I took the new lens and camera to the corner duck pond tonight and did a little testing of my own. These pics are all at 300mm (where the lens is soft), various apertures, and most with a good bit of that photoshop magic applied. I am happy with the results considering what I spent. I can't wait to go out and shoot some surfers with it...

http://www.pbase.com/chris_miller/75-300_test

As for the relatively slow AF, it definitely is slow when going from short to long range tele, or long physical distances between focus points, but it won't affect my surfing shots. Since the lens focuses quick as long as it is already focused on something near the subject, I will get the shot as long as I prefocus on the wave, etc.