Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old May 10, 2005, 1:25 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 175
Default

ttmatsu wrote:
Quote:
He said $500 or less and the 70-200 f2.8 is $750 plus another $150 for the tc. That $500 basically limits him to the "consumer" grade zooms and I think everyone agrees that 200 is too short without severe cropping so the optically wonderful 70-200 f4 L is out. A lot depends on how close to the pier or waterline at the beach the surfers are. I would go with the Tokina 80-400 because it gives you the longest reach of any consumer zoom while staying under $400. Almost all the lower priced zooms will be "soft" on the long end so you'll need to sharpen them. Also, with the 3rd party lenses, the focusing will be slower than with a Sigma HSM or Canon USM lens.

As long as you stick to bright days, you should be able to stop it down and still get a high enough shutter speed.
Thanks for suggesting this.. I've been researching options for weeks and have never seen this lens before.
ChrisDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2005, 6:24 AM   #12
NHL
Senior Member
 
NHL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: 39.18776, -77.311353333333
Posts: 11,547
Default

ChrisDM wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for suggesting this.. I've been researching options for weeks and have never seen this lens before.
There's also this lens around $400: http://www.sigmaphoto.com/lenses/len...75&navigator=3
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2005, 9:05 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 175
Default

NHL wrote:
Quote:
There's also this lens around $400: http://www.sigmaphoto.com/lenses/len...75&navigator=3
[/quote]

There's another one I haven't considered before.. Thanks NHL. I'm beginning to find this forum "friendlier" than another I have been trying to get some help in... Thanks again.
ChrisDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2005, 10:09 PM   #14
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 12
Default

Since money is an issue, just want to point out that none of these lenses, and probably your camera too, are "weather sealed". With sand and salt being blown around, you want to be careful about getting it into your lens as you zoom in and out. Wipe down the barrel of your zoom when you get to your car, wipe your camera body, and clean the front element of your lens (blow to get particles off then use some type of solution, don't just wipe the lens element or filter). I would probably get a UV filter - this is a touchy subject for some people but considering the environment you intend to use the lens in, I'd attach a filter.
ttmatsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2005, 12:13 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 175
Default

ttmatsu wrote:
Quote:
Since money is an issue, just want to point out that none of these lenses, and probably your camera too, are "weather sealed". With sand and salt being blown around, you want to be careful about getting it into your lens as you zoom in and out. Wipe down the barrel of your zoom when you get to your car, wipe your camera body, and clean the front element of your lens (blow to get particles off then use some type of solution, don't just wipe the lens element or filter). I would probably get a UV filter - this is a touchy subject for some people but considering the environment you intend to use the lens in, I'd attach a filter.
That makes sense. I appreciate the advice.
ChrisDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2005, 12:01 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 175
Default

Me again... I just got my XT kit today and the tele lens I went with was the Canon 75-300IS, mostly because I am a big Canon fan, I love IS, and because of this article:

http://www.photo.net/equipment/canon/300_compare/

Basically, it says that if you aren't a pro, the 75-300 IS can produce some decent images with a little photoshop magic. And you don't have to spend $1500.. So, I took the new lens and camera to the corner duck pond tonight and did a little testing of my own. These pics are all at 300mm (where the lens is soft), various apertures, and most with a good bit of that photoshop magic applied. I am happy with the results considering what I spent. I can't wait to go out and shoot some surfers with it...

http://www.pbase.com/chris_miller/75-300_test

As for the relatively slow AF, it definitely is slow when going from short to long range tele, or long physical distances between focus points, but it won't affect my surfing shots. Since the lens focuses quick as long as it is already focused on something near the subject, I will get the shot as long as I prefocus on the wave, etc.
ChrisDM is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 4:55 PM.