Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old May 13, 2005, 3:11 PM   #11

Just a couple of points :!:

As are Canons non-L :-)

wburychka wrote:
Quote:
Sigma's low end lenses are generally disappointing.
Canons L lenses will not last forever :!: I have had malfunctioning L series lenses from Canon, as well as EX series from Sigma. Some were repairable, others it was more cost effective to write off and replace.
Though you are probably correct for most people, they will last a long long time. My equipment does see some hard use, and gets banged around a fair bit.

Quote:
There is a piece of advice given to me by an old professional photographer. I ignored it, and I fully expect you will too, but here it is anyway: "Only buy Canon L-series lenses. They'll cost you a lot more, but they will last forever and you can be certain that they will be sharp. Any other lens is a crap shoot."
:-) :G :lol: :blah:

Peter.

Quote:
BTW, you can tell real pros from wannabees by how they refer to Canon L lenses. The pros refer to them as "L lenses" or "L series lenses". The wannabees call them "L glass".
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2005, 7:26 PM   #12

PeterP wrote:
Quote:
Canons L lenses will not last forever :!: I have had malfunctioning L series lenses from Canon, as well as EX series from Sigma. Some were repairable, others it was more cost effective to write off and replace.
Though you are probably correct for most people, they will last a long long time. My equipment does see some hard use, and gets banged around a fair bit.
Those words were not mine...I just repeated the advice of the old pro. I don't bang mycameras and lensesaround. I treat them like the expensive cameras and lenses they are. As a resultmy Nikon 50mm F1.4 and 135mm F3.5 that I bought in 1968 and 1969 are still in top working condition, as is the Nikon F I used them on (including several months in Vietnam, when I carried the Nikon F and 50mm everywhere). On the other hand, I have a Vivitar 28mm F2.5 that I bought in 1973 and retired less than five years later when parts started falling off.

Of course, all that gear is obsolete in the digital world, but if I were still shooting film, it would still take excellent pictures. The point is that high quality equipment, properly maintained, will last a long time. Cheap stuff may not.
wburychka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2005, 4:34 AM   #13
NHL

Guys

You can sort any images by lenses here: http://www.photosig.com./go/photos/b...ing-d&id=28176

... and then you have objective data in the MTF: http://www.photozone.de/3Technology/mtf.htm

o EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 II

o Sigma 18-125mm F3.5-5.6 DC

The blue traces on Canon are when the lens is stopped down to f/8
Sigma red/green are wide opened
... So compare the red/green against the Canon's black traces (sagittal/meridional) which clearly indicate that the Sigma is a good deal, and better in both sharpness and range
-> Anything else from any forum are just subjective crapshoot!

BTW - Any real pros want to compare this against Canon 'L' lenses @ the wide???

o EF 17-40mm f4.0L USM
NHL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2005, 12:35 AM   #14

That is why I said for most people they would last a very long time :-).

For me they are tools, with a deprecation of 3-5 years depending on how the accountant handles them. If they last longer Great! If the don't, it gets a bit annoying but insurance and warranties (Sigma EX line is 7 years!) take care of replacements.

One of the changes with Digital I have to force myself to remember and it seems to be important now, is to put the end caps on the back of the lens when dropping it into a bag. With film it did not matter much, but with digital the dust can become an issue.

:-) I still have an old Yashica 124G TLR in perfect working order; that is as old as I am, and I am not is such good shape anymore :-)

Peter.

wburychka wrote:
Quote:
Those words were not mine...I just repeated the advice of the old pro. I don't bang my cameras and lenses around. I treat them like the expensive cameras and lenses they are.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2005, 9:08 AM   #15

has anyone tried the Tokina 28-80 at-x f/2.8? i have read a lot about them on the internet, but wanted to hear some personal experiences with the lens. I'm considering buying one for my XT. Mainly, how does it compare to Canon's 28-135IS and Tamron's 28-70?
apkim1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2005, 9:54 AM   #16

PeterP wrote:
Quote:
:-) I still have an old Yashica 124G TLR in perfect working order; that is as old as I am, and I am not is such good shape anymore :-)

Peter.

Ditto for my Penatx MX , It´s not as old as I am, but close to.

Ciao, Wolfie

wolfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2005, 1:41 PM   #17
Super Moderator

tokina's 28-80 2.8 is a rock solid lens.. its built like a tank and is definately one of the best 28-70/80 2.8 lenses made.. from those that i have talked to that have it, it gives the canon L version some serious competition optically.. i would say its at least equal optically to the tamron and is superior to the 28-135..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote