Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old May 11, 2005, 12:46 PM   #1

Hi,

I'm going to buy arebbel XTthis summer, and its going to be my first SLR, so i could really use some advice on the lenses.

I'm thinking of buyingXT body with these lenses:

Canon 24-85/3,5-4,5 EF USM and

Sigma APO Macro Super II 70-300 F4-5.6

I'm not a professional photographer, so i really don't need L lenses (and i also dont have the money for them ) But i also think that the kitlens just doesn't do the XT justice. Or am i wrong about this?

So my main question is, do these lenses make a good "starter" package or not? Or would you recommend other lenses?

JjJames
JjJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 11, 2005, 1:22 PM   #2
Super Moderator

why don't you check outthe sigma 18-125 3.5-5.6 dcfor your walkabout/standard zoom.. it is very sharp and will give you more range than the canon 24-85..

http://www.sigma-photo.com/lenses/le...mp;navigator=6

Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2005, 3:03 PM   #3

I had looked at that lens before, but i read that a lot of people find it to be soft, and ,my main concern, slow in AF. Is ths true?

i have also lookes at this lens:

Canon 28-105/3,5-4,5 EF II USM

wich also has a better range.

off course with both canon lenses i lose my wide angle.

I stand a bit sceptical against sigma or tamron lenses, mainly because of my dad, he cant say a good word about third party lenses )

For the telezoom i was also gona pik a canon 75-300, until i read saw this review:

http://www.fotosite.cz/clanky/cl_00080/

i cant read the text but the pictures say more then enough i think.

Old May 11, 2005, 6:01 PM   #4
Super Moderator

the 18-125 will be a bit noisier and slower to AF than the canon usms or the sigma hsms..

you might want to consider getting the higher end rebel xtpackage with the 17-85 f4.0-5.6 usm IS canon lens if you want a little more range on the wide angle.. it is a very sharp lens and will rival many L series.. its got USM for quick AF and has IS for lower light conditions.. you can pick it up 100 bucks cheaper if you get it as a kit with the rebel xt.. that actually may be the best bet for you..

you can find this kit at www.bhphotovideo.com though it is out of stock at the moment..

btw- i think you made the right choice in going for the sigma 70-300 apo, its a great lens for the money..

Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2005, 4:54 AM   #5

Hi,

the 17-85 is, was actually the first lens i looked at, ist indeed perfectly what i need, unfortunatly here in belgium it costs over 600€ and in germany its close to 600€. wich is afcourse a lot af money for a poor student like me

the only kit i have seen here with that lens also includes the BG-E3 grip, but i dont need that. And that kit kosts +- 1500€ and then i dont have a telezoom, and a CF 1GB card. To bad they dont make that lens without the IS, i bet that would make itabout 200€cheaper.

Maybe i going to see if might get my hands on second hand one, although since there pretty new i dont thnk i'll be able to find many, but i can give it a try.

thx for the advice so far, and if anyone hapens to know a good general purpose lens under 400€ be sure to let me know.

JjJames
Old May 13, 2005, 12:21 AM   #6

It's been A week since I bought my XT and I'm still getting use to the transition from P&S to SLR.
I bought the package with the kit lens, mainly because I don't have the additional mula to get a nicer lens.
But I think this lens is actually pretty good. Another thing to note is that you're changing to SLR, so in general,
the pictures will come out better than a P&S, anyway.

However, what I noticed in my one week experience is that the quality of the pictures is mainly going to be based on me.
If you never dealt with iso, aperture priority, time shutter priority, white balancing,etc. in your P&S, I
would suggest that you worry more about getting use to those (first) rather than worry about the performance of the lens.
Because the limitation will be on you, and you may feel that spending hundreds on a lens didn't justify the performance.

Before I got the XT, I was also reading a lot about lenses, but now that I actually got it, you'll realize it'll perform like a P&S if you don't know your stuff.

I halved the dimensions of the original image with photoshop. no crop, no tweaking, just as is. Focus is right at the center of the flower.
The image was captured as a JPEG, no RAW.

This is the only real picture that I liked when I was using aperture priority. A lot of the time, the Automatic features (i.e. macro) ended up being better
(I would say I've taken around 300 pictures so far), so I have ton of practice to go through.

So an advise from a noob is that this is a great practice lens. And as you become one with the XT you'll find out more and more
limitations on the lens rather than you and then you'll appreciate the performance of an expensive lens.

In which you can feel better about spending more mula
Attached Images

BoYFrMSpC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2005, 1:16 AM   #7

Nice Pic

But for the web you might want to size it to about 800*600 just so it fits on most monitors without having to scroll a lot to see the whole image.

Peter.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2005, 5:16 AM   #8

Thx for the pic Boyfrmspc. looks very good

I have thought about it some more, and i will probably go with the kitlens and the sigma 70-300 APO for now, my dad just told me that he has a old50mm 1.8 mark I lying around in our basement, wich i read is very goed lens, so those 3 lenses will most likelysufice for my learning period i think.

Anyway, thanks for all the advice people.

JjJames
Old May 13, 2005, 9:40 AM   #9

JjJames wrote:
Quote:
I'm going to buy arebbel XTthis summer
JjJames,

If you want it in time for summer you might want to order it now. I'm on a three week backorder and some have been waiting longer. Some stores may have it but you'll pay full price.

dale

thatsanicepicture2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2005, 2:31 PM   #10

Yes, you are wrong about the kit lens. Check the next to latest issue of Popular Photography for a test report on that lens. It is a very good lens and an extraordinary value.

Any lens you buy with only 24 or 28mm at the wide end is just not going to be wide enough as an all purpose lens. The Canon 17-85mm would be my first choice, as it is sharp and also has IS. It has some drawbacks, though (you can read about them elsewhere). The 18-55mm lens--at around $80-$100 (US) as a kit--is the best lens value you will ever see.

Sigma's low end lenses are generally disappointing. Their EX series is better, but there is not one in the range you need. I have three Sigma lenses: 12-24EX, 70-300APOII, and 50-500EX. I use the 12-24mm when I need superwide, but that lens needs F13 to be even halfway sharp from edge to edge. My other Sigmas have been superseded by Canon lenses with IS, which I have bought more recently, but I can't bring myself to sell the Sigmas.

Tamron has a new 18-200mm. I haven't seen a test report on it yet, but that is another option if it is sharp.

There is a piece ofadvice given to me by an old professional photographer. I ignored it, and I fully expect you will too, but here it is anyway: "Only buy Canon L-series lenses. They'll cost you a lot more, but they will last forever and you can be certain that they willbe sharp. Any other lens is a crap shoot."

BTW, you can tell real pros from wannabees by how they refer to Canon L lenses. The pros refer to them as "L lenses" or "L series lenses". The wannabees call them "L glass".
wburychka is offline   Reply With Quote