Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old May 15, 2005, 4:12 PM   #1

Hey,

The question is do these lenses come with the respective soft cases and lens hoods listed? Various websites list different things for the cases and hoods, some with, some without.

EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM:

EW-83E Lens Hood

LP1319 Soft Case

EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM:

EW-83F Lens Hood

LP1219 Soft Case

EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM:

ET-86 Lens Hood

LZ1324 Soft Case

Also what filters to get for these lenses? I was looking at Canon Regular and Circular Polarising 77mm, but would appreciate any others or different brands recommended to get.

Also I think I have a pretty good range here, but would it be worth getting an EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM? Any other lenses to cover missing range?

Thanks Rob

P.S. Looking for the highest quality avaliable so ignore the money.
roblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 15, 2005, 4:45 PM   #2
Administrator

Rob:

You'll probably havea better chance of getting useful answersconcerning Canon Lenses in the Canon Lenses Forum.

So, I'll move this thread there for you now.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2005, 6:01 PM   #3

sorry to get on your nerves but if you read the title i said there was no response from that forum.... thats why I posted it here...

Rob
Old May 15, 2005, 6:17 PM   #4

Hi roblo,
Sorry did not spot your post in the other forun.

I do not know what vendor you are looking at, but with the canon lenses I have purchased I did get a hood, and end caps, but no soft-case.

I did get hoods, end caps and cases with all the Sigma EX lenses.
As well as tripod collars for the lenses that need them, I think that is optional for the canon 70-200

Peter.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2005, 12:54 AM   #5

I own the 24-70L and the 70-200L IS. They both come with a lens hood (big ones I must add). The 70-200L comes with a very nice case. It is mid-way between a hard shell and a soft-cloth one. In that you can still compress the case, but with some effort. It has a strap too so you can hang it over your shoulder, although the strap is a bit thin. It would probably hurt your shoulder after a while. The case is big enough to fith the lens with the tripod colloar, and the lens hood (reversed) on the lens.

I honestly don't quite remember if the 24-70 came with anything to pack it in. I think it came with one of those soft, felt inside, sacks with a string to close it. I never use it though. I keep it in my padded camera bag.

Check out www.bhphoto.com. They usually list what a lens comes with.

As for filters. The bests generally are the Hoya Super HMC PRO1 series, or the other brand is B+W. I own the former, but if you read up on this these two brands come out on top.

For the 10-20mm wide angle (does it even take a front filter?) You probably want a thin filter to reduce vignetting. In that case it might not come with a front-thread, which means your lens cap won't fit anymore.
At least both the 24-70 and 70-200 take 77mm filters, thus you only need one polarizer for the two.

Finally, for some suggestions for longer focal length lenses, see http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...26&forum_id=65

Hope this helps,
Barthold
barthold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2005, 3:50 AM   #6

Hey,

thanks that was really helpful!! I checked B&H's site but im a brit and many websites listed all sorts of things. Anywho thanks again

Rob
Old May 17, 2005, 2:13 PM   #7

PeterP wrote:
Quote:
As well as tripod collars for the lenses that need them, I think that is optional for the canon 70-200

Peter.
Only the Canon EF 70-200 F4L does not ship with a tripod collar. The F2.8 versions do.

Barthold
barthold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2005, 3:29 AM   #8

roblo wrote:
Quote:
Hey,

thanks that was really helpful!! I checked B&H's site but im a brit and many websites listed all sorts of things. Anywho thanks again

Rob

Try

http://www.parkcameras.com

I get a lot of stuff from them and they are in the UK. I'll agree with barthold about the 70-200 lens and it's accessories. Don't have the others so can't comment!

Carl.
CarlsPhotos is offline   Reply With Quote