Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old May 16, 2005, 3:41 PM   #1

I was about ready to order my canon 20D with 17-85mmbut here I go again on the lens choice- Is 17-85 mm a good choice for all in one lens?

I was looking for a hood for this lens and came across this review

http://www.enotalone.com/photo/B0002Y5WXO.html

which really upset me since I am going to spend $650 on it. Should I go for the Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 or a similar one from sigma instead?

I do want to take good portraits during daylight and also want a wide angle for landscape. I liked the wide angle of canon but is F2.8 across the entire zoom that important. ...Please advice..

Has anyone used both?
WannabePro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 16, 2005, 4:44 PM   #2

I am not sure if this helps but I have the 17 - 85 and find it to be a good all rounder.

The IS works well and is useful in low light.

Here is a link for a review and some sample images.

http://www.eospix.com/reviews-19.html
Wes@eospix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2005, 12:07 PM   #3

Thanks Wes, that helps. I am more inclined to get it than not. There is not good alternate choice out therefor midrange. I would have liked it to be brighter f2.8 or f4.0 but I believe that increases the lens cost and also makes it very bulky. I really need an easy to carry around lens and this fits the bill.
WannabePro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2005, 12:26 PM   #4

Yes, I guess we would all like f2.8 but unless you want to pay the extra then we will have to live with the IS instead.

I think you would be pleased with it. Why not find one in your local store and try it out before you commit yourself.

It is a usefull zoom range and the IS rocks (it does tend to drain the battery though).

Wes@eospix is offline   Reply With Quote