Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old May 18, 2005, 10:44 AM   #1

I traded in my D-Rebel kit for the XT bodywhen it came out and now I need to purchase acouple of lens' and a flash. I'm debating over the Canon 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM, 75-300mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM, and 580EX or the Sigma 18-125mm f/3.5-5.6, 70-200mm f/2.8 EX HSM, and EF-500 DG SUPER. The problem is, is that I'm one of those types of people who have to have everything matching...I can't get around it and change either, so I have to either get all Canon, or all Sigma. I'm also going to get a teleconverter for which ever tele lens I choose (1.4x for the Canon or a 2x for the Sigma). I'm photographing a wedding in August and Ialso shoot a decent amount of indoor events in which a nice and lens and flash is needed.and I also do a lot of sports photography (Soccer, and Track and Field). The prices of the two combo'sare pretty close, I just need to decide which one. I'm new to photography so any advice and/or help would be greatly appreciated!:-)
SlapNTickleJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 18, 2005, 11:11 AM   #2

Also, has anyone heard anything about Sigma coming out with a 50-200mm f/2.8 lens? I read something that might have hinted toward that in Pop Photog. It'd be nice to have a 18-50mm f/2.8and a 50-200mm f/2.8 combo!
SlapNTickleJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2005, 7:25 PM   #3

You need to choose lenses based on your most demanding application. I would go with faster lenses so the Sigma line would be your only choice. IS is great but how much will you need to stop down the lens to get sharp picures with the Canon lenses you have chosen? According to reviews in Fred Miranda and Bob Atkins, the 70-300 has to be stopped down to f8-f11. The Sigmas will probably yield good results at f4 (again, according to reviews). There is too much overlap in your sigma choices. This will add a couple of hundred dollars, but the 18-50 f2.8 and 70-200 f2.8 would be better - you really wouldn't miss the 50-70 gap.

But I don't understand your statement that everything has to match if you have a Canon body and you are willing to mismatch with Sigma lenses/flash. If you are willing to break your rule there, why don't you just get acceptable equipment according to your budget and needs?

You need to use the search feature near the top of the page for this forum and learn more about the lenses. dpreview.com also has a very active canon lens forum. Again, use the search feature along with using google.

I hope that you are not the main photographer for the wedding. New body, new lenses, new flash, and being fairly new to slr photography is not a good combination unless you are just walking around taking candids.
ttmatsu is offline   Reply With Quote