Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old May 18, 2005, 7:06 PM   #1

Well I tried to find a Sigma 100-300 F4 to try in Calgary but it is the same at all shops - special order. I've decided to go Canon. There is a sale on the 100-400; it is the same price as buying the 70-200 F2.8 USM with the 1.4TC. I'm leaning toward the 70-200 because I take a lot of indoor shots in school gymnasiums and landscapes. In the fall I'll get a 300 F4 (using the 1.4) prime for backyard birds.

Prices being the same, which is the better package?

Thanks

//jim
killdeer0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 19, 2005, 3:03 PM   #2

Quote:
I'm leaning toward the 70-200 because I take a lot of indoor shots in school gymnasiums and landscapes.
Well IMHO the indoor school gym shots pushes things towards the 70-200 2.8. I'm not sure exactly where the 100-400 becomes 5.6 but even 4.0 is too slow for most gymnasiums. So if you don't have another alternative to use indoors (like a fast prime) then the 70-200 plus tc would be a better fit given the 'indoor' constraint. Having this combination myself I will tell you it works good for sports (indoors and outdoors) but it is too short for the birding.

Quote:
In the fall I'll get a 300 F4 (using the 1.4) prime for backyard birds.
By this statement are you saying you are going to buy an additional 300mm f4 lense which you will use with your TC? If that is your point then that is a good thing - that will help address the issue with the above combo being too short.

Just my two cents. Good luck!
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2005, 10:25 PM   #3

Thanks John,

It's a long weekend in Canada this weekend and the store will let me take the 70-200 + the 1.4 for the entire time to try it. I'll take it back Tuesday and just get a new one fresh off the shelf. The 300 will have to wait until I can pay cash.

How's the 70-200+ converter for taking pictures of larger animals (bears, deer, sheep etc)? From a reasonable distance.

Thanks

//jim
Old May 20, 2005, 12:02 AM   #4

You have three days to try that lens; if you are satisfied with it's sharpness why would you give it back and take a new one off the shelf? You might get a bad copy. Of course if the one you try over the weekend isn't sharp then no loss if you take another one.

TG
Trout Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2005, 6:26 AM   #5

It's a rental lens/demonstrator, so unless they give me a discount on the price I'll go for the one in the box. They also have an exchange policy if you are not happy with the quality. If it is good, I'll see if they will part with at a reduced price.

//jim