Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old May 19, 2005, 6:55 PM   #1

I just ordered the canon 70-200 f4 L this morning from 17photo.com. It was $550.00 with shipping and a discount. My justifacation for buying this lense was its great reviews on image quality and weight. I normally shot stock car racing and football and some of these proceed untill late evening. I shoot only with a Canon 20 D and only hand held. I figured I could bump up the ISO on the 20 D and still get decent shots with the f4 and not have to lug around the weight of an f/2.8. Also my only two options because of lack of funds were the Canon f/4 and the Sigma 70/200 f/2.8. So my question is, did I make the right decision in thinking the canon would preform just as good on the 20 D at f/4 and higher ISO than the Sigma or should I have went with the Sigma f2.8?

Canon f/4

Lighter,faster,better image quality

Or Sigma f/2.8

Heavy,decent optics,2.8
arowana is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 19, 2005, 7:07 PM   #2

I think your lens choice will be just fine. :-).

The below is not quite right though.
The F4 lens is definitly lighter than the F2.8, F2.8 has more glass in it so it is heavier.
The F4 is slower than the F2.8(F2.8 is optically one stop faster) and both have ultrasonic drives so focusing is fast in both.
Image quality is about the same, and both are excellent.

Peter.

arowana wrote:
Quote:
Canon f/4

Lighter,faster,better image quality

Or Sigma f/2.8

Heavy,decent optics,2.8
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2005, 7:19 PM   #3

Sorry. I know the Canon is lighter. By at least half. But my notes on the Canon being faster was credited to all the reviews I have read from so many forums this forum had recomended. Alot of people made remarks( and not just amatures) that the Sigma HSM was a little slower than the Canon USM and also that the Sigma Likes to hunt a lot at 2.8 and is not always dead on in focusing. No reviews that I have seen says the Canon has this problem and its always dead on with blazing AF speed. So if the motor is a little faster and the AF is always dead on then the Canon will be much better for action shots. And I also read that the Sigma was soft at 2.8 and only got sharp at f/4 anyway. Now I know all this is hearsay but 100's of people from 20 or so forums cant be making all this up.
Old May 19, 2005, 10:21 PM   #4

Like I said, I think you made the right choice.

Though here are a few more things to think about.

I do not know which is actually faster, Canons USM on Sigma's HSM, basically same motor, Sigma copied the Canon inards.

The AF is in the camera not the lens, the focusing or hunting is all under the camera processors control.

The Canon 20D's center High Precision focus point only becomes active with a lens capable of F2.8

At F4 there is more depth of field than at F2.8 so more looks like it is in focus. Compared to another lens capable of F2.8 like Canon 70-200 F2.8 it is a draw. When shooting at F2.8 you have to be a lot more accurate on what was focused on, much less margin for error.

Peter.
Old May 20, 2005, 7:18 AM   #5
NHL

I agree with PeterP:

The camera does the focusing and not the lens - so if it hunts, it's the camera. As to how fast the HSM is compare to USM: http://www.naturephotographers.net/mg0600-1.html

Theses features are what you gain for more weight in the bigger glass:
1. @ f/2.8 the 20D high-precision AF sensor is enabled (i.e. it's disabled at f/4)
2. f/2.8 lens give better 'bokeh'
3. A brighter viewfinder makes it easier to 'see' with a polarizer
4. Make the use of 2x TC possible

As to being not as sharp compare it to the MTF's of a similar EF 70-200 f/2.8 L and you'll be surprised - All else check theses images: http://www.photosig.com/go/photos/br...ing-d&id=17307
-> A good photographer has a lot to do with the results, while a poor photographer blame it on the lens!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2005, 7:43 AM   #6

arowana wrote:
Quote:
I just ordered the canon 70-200 f4 L this morning from 17photo.com.
Let us know how 17th street photo does on your order. Stuff like did they call you to up sell and did it come in on time. Stuff like that. I'm trying to keep track of the
good suppliers and the... Others.

You seem pretty sure of your choice so i won't weigh in on that. PeteP and NHL
have that covered and they are the guys I'd ask before i did anything.

Good Luck
dale

thatsanicepicture2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2005, 9:48 AM   #7

I bought the 70-200F4 about a month ago. I too was debating between the canon f4 and Sigma f2.8. In the end, low weight of the f4 version won. I am very happy with the results. Don't see any back focus issues with 10D. It is light so you don't even need the tripod ring.
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2005, 11:53 AM   #8

I've never dealt with them (prefer places like B&H that I know are solid) but 17Th Street Photo gets a surprisngly good score from http://www.resellerratings.com/seller1755.html

Peter

thatsanicepicture2 wrote:
Quote:
Let us know how 17th street photo does on your order. Stuff like did they call you to up sell and did it come in on time. Stuff like that. I'm trying to keep track of the
good suppliers and the... Others.
Old May 21, 2005, 12:03 AM   #9

I buy everything from 17th Street Photo. Product is always new and in perfect condition. My Canon lens arived by Fed Ex this afternoon. Next day air. I always ship this way so my product does not get thrown around as much. I am going to Fall Creek Falls tommorrow for a hiking trip. I will let you know how the lens does. So for it looks great. Very light and Ilove how it goes from 70 to 200 mm with just a quater turn of the zoom ring. Thanks for all the info guys. And as for the 2x tele,I wont be needing one for this lens. I have a 135-400 sigma forthe long range stuff. Its not a very fast lens but the image quality is a lot better than people give it credit for.
Old May 21, 2005, 2:43 AM   #10

ive got the Sigma 70-200 f2.8 HSM and i use this lens as my walkaround lens.

Its not heavy at all, at only 1.2kg its featherweight and is a pleasure to hold.

The Sigma HSM is very fast compared to the Canons USM, however both do a good job.

The 2 times extender is very handy, and i normally have it attached for sports shots, however the auto focus becomes dangerously slow.

Youve bought the canon for the right reasons, and i hope you enjoy it.
twofruitz is offline   Reply With Quote