Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old May 22, 2005, 12:27 AM   #11
Super Moderator

NHL,

if i wanted the flexibility of having the faster 2.8 when i don't need the extra length of the 300, but still want that option.. how much image quality would i be giving up using the sigma 70-200 2.8 w/ 1.4tc vs the 100-300... obviously i know there will be some image degradation, and i believe the 100-300 might be sharper in the first place.. i dont know if you can answer that or not.. i tried to find some comparison on the web, but was unable to..

thanks, dustin
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2005, 4:03 PM   #12

I am shopping for a long tele zoom now and am finding the choices difficult (prices are general comparisons, and some include rebates):

-Canon 70-200 F/4 L $555 - nice lens for the money with great images from what I have seen.

-Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 EX - $840 (kicking the limit's teeth in). Great images, and comes with all the accessories.

-Sigma 100-300 f/4 EX - $900 (felony conviction to the limit). Leaves a hole past my current 24-70 in coverage, and do I really need 300mm? Also, a LOT of money- too much for me, really.

Canon EF 75-300mm f/4.0 IS - $400. Tempting. need to investigate this one as I don't know enough about it.

Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 APO - $219. For the money, if it doesn't get much use, seems to be an excellent deal.

There are other lenses for me to look at, but this is the beginning of the short list...

I realize that the quality range is all over the place here, but it reflects my level of indecision. If someone jalf-nelsoned me ight now and forced me to decide, I would probably say the Canon 70-200 f/4 L.. But it would have to be a brutal half-nelson!

PLEASE feel free to comment! Please!? :O
Randy G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2005, 8:03 PM   #13

I just ordered the Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 EX. I read here and at fredmiranda.com reviews of online retailers and basically came back with BHphoto.com ephotocraft.com adorama.com canogacamera.com and butterflyphoto.com They all have a decent return policy..

The Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 is only $699 before shipping out of www.Adorama.com

I had the Canon 70-200 f4, but I do too much indor shooting at a church and my kids music concerts and need the 2.8 in that light setting.

If you like the 24-70, find a reputable seller and give the 70-200 sigma a try.

Good luck.:|:|
sdattilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2005, 8:33 PM   #14
NHL

Hards80 wrote:
Quote:
NHL,

if i wanted the flexibility of having the faster 2.8 when i don't need the extra length of the 300, but still want that option.. how much image quality would i be giving up using the sigma 70-200 2.8 w/ 1.4tc vs the 100-300...
Stay with the 70-200 f/2.8 EX HSM then... it's more indoor vs outdoor

The 100-300 f/4 is an outdoor lens and will be just too long for your purpose (although it's probably the best lens from Sigma) - With the 70-200 you'll wish more outdoor though... :-)

Randy G. wrote:
Quote:
-Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 EX - $840 (kicking the limit's teeth in). Great images, and comes with all the accessories.
FYI - http://www.sigma4less.com/sess/utn;j...0200F28CA%3D29
I bought my 120-300 f/2.8 from Adorama, but I got my 105mm polarizer for the lens from Sigma4less (cheapest large size PL I can find anywhere) :idea:

Quote:
-Sigma 100-300 f/4 EX - $900 (felony conviction to the limit). Leaves a hole past my current 24-70 in coverage, and do I really need 300mm?
Only $780... :G
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2005, 8:39 PM   #15

Am I lost or was the subject of this thread "Sigma 24-70 f/2.8 EX" or something like that? I recently purchased the Sigma 24-70 f/2.8 EX DG Macro and it's my third attempt at Sigma with some regret. My copy appears well built and comes with excellent packaging but it has a front focus problem which becomes more pronounced as the focal length is decreased. This problem makes for out of focus images at 24mm. I will be contacting Sigma tomorrow to see how helpful they may in resolving this issue. So far I'm 0 for 3 with Sigma.
Humrme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2005, 8:40 PM   #16
Super Moderator

tradeoffs... always there are tradeoffs...... *sigh*

thanks nhl, you confirmed my intuition..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2005, 8:47 PM   #17

sdattilo wrote:
Quote:
I just ordered the Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 EX. I read here and at fredmiranda.com reviews of online retailers and basically came back with BHphoto.com ephotocraft.com adorama.com canogacamera.com and butterflyphoto.com They all have a decent return policy..

The Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 is only $699 before shipping out of www.Adorama.com
It is $685 at Abe's of Maine, and it states they are an authorized dealer.
Focus has it for $715.95 with a stated full US warranty.
The Adorama offering appears to be grey market.

Yes, this is a tempting lens, and all part of what makes this decision difficult. A tthis point I am more dealing with teh "what' and not the "Where." If I lived in a big city it would be nice to be able to rent or play with these lenses, but alas... a country boy am I. :-D
Old May 22, 2005, 10:00 PM   #18

I hope the adorama sigma is not grey market... I actually did a search on their page for "grey market" and it returns other lenses that they even label as grey market.

But if it is I have two options... one to return it and 2.. I read on a couple of forums that sigma USA does not distinguish between US and international lenses.. if it has the EX they cover it for 4 years. All they ask for to do service is a receipt.

If anyone know different please let me know too as I have a 70-200 f/2.8 EX en-route from adorama...

That Abe's of main price looks really low. I will have to do some research on them next.

Thanks for the heads up.
sdattilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2005, 10:16 PM   #19

sdattilo wrote:
Quote:
I hope the adorama sigma is not grey market... I actually did a search on their page for "grey market" and it returns other lenses that they even label as grey market.

But if it is I have two options... one to return it and 2.. I read on a couple of forums that sigma USA does not distinguish between US and international lenses.. if it has the EX they cover it for 4 years. All they ask for to do service is a receipt.

Thanks for the heads up.
No problem. I am careful about such things, and (although it doesn't always show here) being that I am a writer, I am sensitive to wording.

I bought my 20D body at buydig.com. At the time their pages stated, "Full USA warranty." I brought it to their attention that this could mean that some third party (and not the manufacturer) in the US honored the warranty. They have subsequently re-worded their website pages accordingly (to our benefit!).

The information about the Sigma warrnaty is interesting. I know my 24-70 lens came with the "official" Sigma US warranty card.
Old May 22, 2005, 11:07 PM   #20

NHL wrote:
Quote:
-Sigma 100-300 f/4 EX - $900 (felony conviction to the limit). Leaves a hole past my current 24-70 in coverage, and do I really need 300mm?
Only $780... :G[/quote]

That item has a one year warranty... Grey market, evidently, as the one year waranty is the International warranty, and the US is longer, if I understand correctly...