Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old May 22, 2005, 11:36 PM   #21
NHL

Randy G. wrote:
Quote:
That item has a one year warranty... Grey market, evidently, as the one year waranty is the International warranty, and the US is longer, if I understand correctly...
You're probably right... but it's the same as Canon; However I've not had the chance to use the waranty on any of my EX's yet

BTW here's what the 120-300 zoom can do with a 1.4xTC:

IMO the 100-300 f/4 EX is sharper, lighter, and a steal if you can get it for that price!

NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2005, 6:05 PM   #22

Beautiful image, to say the least.

I spent a couple of hours yesterday and an hour or so today browsing through sample images at pbase.com. For the most part I was comparing, in present order of choice:

Canon 70-200 4.0 L
Sigma 70-200 2.8 EX
Sigma 100-300 EX
Sigma 70-300 APO

I can say that the greatest number of excellent images came from the first two lenses with the Canon ahead in the count, tbut there were eenough good samples from the Sigma to place it well.

Some generalizations: there were enough good images from the better lenses to tell me that these comparative mass of images is somewhat tainted. Why? For the most part, a person taking mostly snapshots is not as likely to purchase the Sigma EX 70-200 as they would a "lesser" lens, like the 18-300 or the even the 70-300APO lens. That same person is less likely to possess Photoshop, and/or the skills to put that (or similar) application to work with skill to enhance images.

Looking at it from the other perspective, the "pro" or serious hobbiest perceives a valus in an $800-2000 lens and is the sort of person who most likely gets such equipment. They probably have more finely honed skills in photographing so that less cropping is necessary. They understand bracketing and so take a lot more pics and know how to get one or two excellent shots per session. Afterwards they probably have more skill in enhancing images.

Anyway, without writing a graduate thesis on the subject, it is difficult to choose based on the samples. I can say that of some of the images that looked like "lessly-enhanced" snapshots, the Canon 70-200L's images were nothing short of excellent. And in enough samples to make it also a top choice, the Sigma 70-200 EX. Between thpse two, one can choose to save some money and put up with the larger sized Canon with less warranty and no troipod ring, or spend more and get a faster, smaller,lens. I think both are capable piles of glass.

Off to do more comparisons.....

Randy G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2005, 7:01 PM   #23
Administrator

Randy G. wrote:
Quote:
Only $780... :G
Quote:
That item has a one year warranty... Grey market, evidently, as the one year waranty is the International warranty, and the US is longer, if I understand correctly...
[/quote]
I dunno... Brooklyn Address:

http://donwiss.com/pictures/BrooklynStores/h0067.htm

They've got a small Number of Customer Reviews at some of the popular review sites, withsome customers mentioning being called for order confirmation (a common tactic used by vendors trying to upsell customers)

Another thing I noticed was that a number of the reviews were edited by the reviewers later (a red flag with me), especially since the company has also been responding to a number of customer reviews.

http://www.resellerratings.com/seller9336-p3-s1-d1.html

http://www.bizrate.com/ratings_guide...id--97119.html

Sorry, I don't deal with companies with a small number of written reviews (with most of them being relatively recent), and I don't like vendors that call their customers for "order confirmation" (assome of the reviewers indicate happened in their unedited reviews).

Vendors can play the upsell/shipping chargesgames with someone else. I'd pay more at another vendor before risking doing business with one in Brooklyn that I'm not familiar with.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2005, 7:32 PM   #24
Super Moderator

i would just go through www.bhphotovideo.com or www.sigma4less.com .. i have had good experiences with both of these companies.. they both give you a curtousy call to confirm your order as well when the order is of a certain price.. and with them you know you are getting the US model with the full warrenty... after all that warrenty is a good reason to buy sigma, so why negate it for a few bucks..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2005, 8:31 PM   #25
NHL

Randy G. wrote:
Quote:
I spent a couple of hours yesterday and an hour or so today browsing through sample images at pbase.com
I prefer this site since the images here are rated and can be sorted by different criteria:
http://www.photosig.com/go/photos/br...ories?typeId=7

IMO there's noway you can make a mistake in any of the above selection...

Old May 25, 2005, 10:34 AM   #26

Nice site, but is it always that increadibly slow? Or is that because I am accessing it as a guest?

NHL wrote:
Quote:
I prefer this site since the images here are rated and can be sorted by different criteria:
http://www.photosig.com/go/photos/br...ories?typeId=7
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2005, 11:02 AM   #27
NHL

PeterP wrote:
Quote:
Nice site, but is it always that increadibly slow? Or is that because I am accessing it as a guest?
That's a BIG database of lenses!!! :blah:

-> Once you narrowed down to a specific lens, it'll be much faster

... Some really nice shots (- i.e. it's the photographer not the lenses)
Old May 25, 2005, 6:44 PM   #28

Thanks for the photosig.com link... there's another month of my life I'll never get back! :G The photos there do seem to be extrordinary compared to pbase.

My head is still bouncing around with the decision, and last night I even found myself thinking,"...Hmm... that 80-400EX would be nice.. ?" I wonder if it comes with wheels? :?

Here's an enhanced crop at 100% of one I took handheld yesterday with the 24-70 EX.
Tv 1/200
Av 16
ISO 400
Attached Images

Randy G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2005, 6:53 PM   #29

First shot and first post right out the box. Rebel XT and Sigma 24-70ex.
Attached Images

CrKManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2005, 9:29 PM   #30

Simply an excellent lens. My favorite, along side my 70-200IS.

http://www.pbase.com/fstopjojo/2470
fstopjojo is offline   Reply With Quote