Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old May 21, 2005, 8:00 AM   #1

Hey all - I was pretty down on this lens until I got this shot last night. It was handheld, sort of... I was lying on my back to stabilize. The large image is 100% cropped and somewhat sharpened. I included another shot unprocessed (except for resize) for reference. The moon was fairly high in the sky. I look forward to trying this again when the moon is lower and larger...

My 70-200 f4L is on its way to replace this lens, but i might have to somehow convince the wife to let me keep this one also now! That IS is nice.

ChrisDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 28, 2005, 10:08 PM   #2

June will have the lowest (closer to horizon) moon in years.

I hope to get a good moon-over-the-house shot myself.

dale

thatsanicepicture2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2005, 9:09 AM   #3

Put a hold on the 70-200 f4L and get the 2.8 IS.

Its worth the extra snatch just to see the lookfrom any Sigma boy turningfunny colours,thathappens byby. Solid enough to give them a proper lump if they get too annoying also.

LBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2005, 10:56 AM   #4

Lboy

If you prefer the L over everything else in the universe, thats fine, but when you suggest it to everyone, don't try to force it on them saying that everything else is junk or rotten from the core out. Show some damn respect! Some people here have families and cannot afford L lenses for every lens, or just dont want to spend that kind of money. At work I have several L lenses, the 17-35, the 16-40, and the 100-400. I prefer my Sigmas over those lenses any day. The arent that great.
rob_strain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2005, 11:25 AM   #5

LBoy.Im not sure if your serious about photograpy or just here to get a little needed attention. Quit acting like a child. This board is not here for you to slander products or tell people how dumb they are for purchasing a product you dont like. If you dont have anything useful to contribute or any valuable information to report go else where.I am sure there are plenty teenage chatrooms avaliable for you and plenty of kids there who like to put each other down. Her we prefer to dicuss photograpy and what products suit us best. Wheither it be Sigma,Tamron or Canon. Theres plenty of info and user specs out there that prove no one lense or manufacture is superior over another. You want to spend mega bucks on Canon just because they say they are the best, fine. Me, I listen to trial and error from other posters here to help make my decision. And for you to say that Canon is simply the best is obsured. I know this because I just sent back my 70-200 f/4, cause it did not impress meat all. I recieved my Sigma 100-300 f/4 friday and I am just now getting around to down loading all my memory cards cause I just could not put it down. As I said before, the Canon 70-200 f/4 is a good lense for anyone who just has to have Canon L glass. It took great pictures. But I would recomend this Sigma 100-300 f/4 2to1 over the Canon. And thats just my OPINION!!!!!!
arowana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2005, 9:18 PM   #6

LBoy - The last reason I would buy any lens over another is to attempt make another photographer, or any other human being feel less significant. That would indicate that I am insecure and am attempting to overcompensate from some other deficiency or shortcoming, which would just be childish. But I'm sure you can't relate to that...

I buy equipment because it works, and my new 70-200 f4L works just beautifully, as I'm sure a similarly priced lens from Sigma would. And of course the 2.8IS would have been even more useful in certain situations, but the savings in cost and weight were significant enough to me.

LBoy wrote:
Quote:
Put a hold on the 70-200 f4L and get the 2.8 IS.

Its worth the extra snatch just to see the look from any Sigma boy turning funny colours, that happens by by. Solid enough to give them a proper lump if they get too annoying also.

ChrisDM is offline   Reply With Quote