Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old May 22, 2005, 7:08 AM   #1

I just ordered a Canon 28-200 mm lens for my RebelXT. I've been having second thoughts now that maybe the 28-135 IS is a better selection. I originally went with the 200 for the extra zoom range, but I've seen some posts saying that the lens is really only about a 150mm, not the advertised 200. I've also seen a couple saythe 200 isn't as optically good as the 135.

My question is this, if I do end up cancelling that order and going with the 28-135 IS, can the IS be turned off (will I ever not want the IS for a particular reason)? I've never used an IS lens before, so I'm not exactly sure when it turns itself on, what options the user has to affect its function, how much of the battery it drains, etc...

Any help on those things would be most useful to help me decide which lens to go with.

Thanks
G35Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 22, 2005, 8:28 AM   #2

There is a switch on the lens like the AF switch for turning it off.

You need to turn it off when you are using a tripod. If you don't turn it off, the stabiliser gets confused because the camera is so steady and it starts to vibrate and makes things worse.

As for battery life, I'm not sure how much current it takes, but I've never had an issue with it flattening my battery in an excessively short time.

When you half press the shutter you can feel the IS "kick in". The image will jump slightly in the view finder.

If you wave the camera around while looking through the view finder you can feel motion sickness because the image you see doesn't move in time with the camera. There is a lag.

I love my 28-135 IS. (Not literally, that would be weird)
Paul(UK) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2005, 5:10 PM   #3
Super Moderator

if image quality is important to you, and for future satisfaction.. i would recommend the 28-135 over the 28-200.. it is much better optically and the IS does come in handy.. i would say that my 28-135 is on my 20d 95% of the time.. i have done quite a bit of event and portrait work with it and its image quality is more than adequate for my customers.. i just leave the IS on all the time just to ensure that critical sharpness unless i am on a tripod.. i can still get 600-700 shots out of my 20d with it on all the time..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2005, 5:57 PM   #4

Thanks for the info. I'm definitely going to go with the 28-135 IS. If I need a lens much larger, I can always save up for something that goes to 300mm later on.
G35Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2005, 10:30 AM   #5

Paul(UK) wrote:
Quote:
You need to turn it off when you are using a tripod. If you don't turn it off, the stabiliser gets confused because the camera is so steady and it starts to vibrate and makes things worse.
It depends on the lens. Even though theIS on my100-400L is oldgeneration, I took some shots at 400mm with& without IS and I see no difference between them at 100% crop. For some shots, actually keeping the IS on, while on the tripod helped.

For longer teles, like 500/600 F4,400F2.8 etc, you always keep IS on even on the tripod.
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2005, 10:22 AM   #6

Ditto everything that Hards80 said - 28/135IS has made me a LOT of money !
Setiprime is offline   Reply With Quote