Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old May 26, 2005, 4:05 PM   #11

I also agree with you guys in saying that the canon products are way over priced. And in my opinion I really didnt like the white color of the 70-200 f4 canon. Mabey some people think it makes them look more like a pro photographer to show up with this White lens with Canons name on it but at the end of the day the photographs will tell the true story. And from my experience Sigma is no less in Quality than Canon is for a lot less money. I do not want to discorage anyone who wants to purchase the Canon 70-200 f4. As I said before it is a great lense. But for100 dollars more you can have the same focal length with f2.8 and just as great image quality. Just something to think about. I will let you guys know how the Sigma 100-300 does over my 3 day vacation this weekend.

Thanks again guys.
arowana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2005, 4:52 PM   #12
NHL

arowana

I've been enjoying the Sigma 100-300 EX f/2.8's big brother (with the same 1.4x TC):

NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2005, 5:55 PM   #13

LBoy wrote:
Quote:
Yeah, complete pants with all that S*gma glass. Yeeuck!
"... complete pants..." ?

Odd response, LBoy, and of little help or, IMO, value. An emotional response such as that does not help anyone make a decision on what lens to buy.

I have been spending the last week comparing a LOT of sample images off the Internet, trying to decide on a tele-zoom lens. The two top runners at this time are the Canon 70-200 f/4 L, Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 EX. There are others, but these are the main contenders today. :?:

Without arguing price, warranty, length, weight, or supplied accessories (all of which are in favor of the Sigma), there does seem to be a greater number of great images from the Canon lens than the Sigma. Now, you might sit back and say, "Well, sure! A Canon L is going to beat any Sigma lens, and the numbers of great shots prove it," but that is nonsense.

I have also seen a number of wonderful images from the Sigma- just not as many. That only proves that both lenses are capable of producing excellent images, nand that maybe more people with the L post images or capture more images... Or maybe they just know how to use Photoshop with more skill.

I have read many complaints about Canon lenses having to be sent back two and three times for returns in order to get a good one, but I can't remember any concerning Sigma lenses. Does that mean that the Sigmas are superior? No, but their superior warranty seems to indicate that they think so.

Maybe you could set up a test to prove the superiority of the Canon lens over the Sigma. One camera, one tripod, same subject, same focal lengths, apertures, etc.
For a good example of what I am suggesting, take a look at this page (a bad Babelfish translation of the original Japanese site): http://tinyurl.com/86wu4

I certainly would be very interested in seeing the L and the EX compared in that way because it would help me decide what lens to buy. Better yet, the 2.8 L vs. the EX. It would help me decide if it was worth forgoing the longer warranty, having to buy the tripod ring separately, and end up spending the extra $500 for the Canon.
Randy G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2005, 6:27 PM   #14

That is one nice shot NHL. I only hope I can get such nice photos out of my 100-300 f/4 with 1.4 TC. I have been researcing the net for so long for just the right tele lense that my fingers ache. I thought the 70-200 L f/4 was the one but I was mistaken. And these shipping charges are killing my savings acount. Well see this weekend. By the way, was that shot hand held and what f stop was you using?

Thanks a bunch.
Old May 26, 2005, 10:00 PM   #15
NHL

arowana wrote:
Quote:
By the way, was that shot hand held and what f stop was you using?
1/1000s @ f/8 handheld - kind of difficult to track birds in flight otherwise...

Randy G. wrote:
Quote:
I certainly would be very interested in seeing the L and the EX compared in that way because it would help me decide what lens to buy. Better yet, the 2.8 L vs. the EX. It would help me decide if it was worth forgoing the longer warranty, having to buy the tripod ring separately, and end up spending the extra $500 for the Canon.
Is this review close enough? :idea:
"Photography is about taking great pictures, and it is the ability of the person behind the camera that makes great things happen! Yes, the right equipment is important, but don't buy expensive equipment just because it will make you look like a pro ... it is more important to work on your skills, not on your look." - http://www.naturephotographers.net/mg0600-1.html

... BTW I posted this picture in a previous thread for folks doubting the 70-200 f/2.8 EX 'bokeh' or its fast AF focusing ability:

Old May 27, 2005, 4:11 AM   #16

Well maybe I just don't have time for the fancy arguments sometimes, sorry bout that. And fine, if those that have spent less want to come up with a thousand reasons why they made a shrewd investment that turned out to be a bargain -good. If so we'll all soon be seeing the demise of Canon and forthcoming bankruptcy. Hail Sigma the new king of Lens manufacture. Learn about the economics of business. An institution can get away with the stature of its name and on itspast reputation for only so long. If canon were not producing better lens for the extra cost they have always asked, they would no longer be no1 and/ or for that matter in business. Accept it or not your choice.
LBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2005, 5:09 AM   #17
NHL

LBoy wrote:
Quote:
Learn about the economics of business. An institution can get away with the stature of its name and on its past reputation for only so long. If canon were not producing better lens for the extra cost they have always asked, they would no longer be no1 and/ or for that matter in business. Accept it or not your choice.
I highly doubt that this fact would affect the Canon bottom line any (if at all): :idea:
http://www.canon.com/ir/results/2005/rslt2005q1e.pdf

1. Lenses (+ film cameras) are only 14% of sales (Page S3)
2. and that's 14% is out of the Camera Products which accounts for only a fraction of total sales -> Canon major revenues are their Business Machines
Old May 27, 2005, 5:25 AM   #18

Yourlink is unimportant.

I'm not talking about the whole company. The demiseof Canon andbankruptcy was tongue in cheek. Of course Canon produce untold amounts ofvarying component. Howevereach and every division is responsible for turning round a profit.Their oneoverriding aim to bethe market no1.Do you think more Sigma cameras are sold than Canon, or more Sigma lenses are bought by Canon users than canon lenses? Canon SLR and Lenses are the Worlds No1. Why? Because they make you look good? Come on!

This thread is not for this argument. I gave my opinion about which lens I thought the poster should go for. The decision was made.Fine finished. Then I made a bad joke, forgetting a silly smilly. ho - hum. Problem with you sigma boys is that you just cant swim past the hook. :-)

LBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2005, 10:07 PM   #19

Your right about the whole hook thing. See I dont have a lot of money to be buying and trying out lenses every week. The camera stores here in nashville T.N. do not keep a very large stock of lenses and the ones they do have you cant rent. So that only leaves trial and erorr. And since these stores do not stock very much I have to buy online. Thats where you guys come in. I read reviews and look at sample pics to determine the right lense for me. And I gotHOOKED on the canon. As I said in my first post,THE CANON 70-200 F/4 was a really good lense for 600 dollars. But it did not have the reach I was looking for and the picture quality was not good enough for me to just settle with that lense. Plus it was white. That was very annoying to me. My black D-70 and black 20-D was one of the things I was thrilled about when I switched from grey and silver consumer cams to DSLR. And now heres this white 7 inch lense sticking out in front of my camera. Annoying. So I sent it back and I just recieved my Sigma 100-300 f/4 today. Beautiful thing. And a tripod mount and awesome carrying case. I also got the 1.4 tele to go with it. Awesome case also. Have not taken any pictures with it yet but ifthe results are at least 85 to 95 percent as good as the canon, I will be happy. But I am surethe results will be much better. So Canon can just keep making commercials and adsand let there customers foot the bill when they buy there products. Me, I will buy Sigma and take the money I saved to go on a vacation to get some use out of my new lense.
Old May 27, 2005, 10:21 PM   #20
NHL

Randy G. wrote:
Quote:
Well Randy - Check this out: http://www.pbase.com/fstopjojo/3telezooms

arowana let's keep it a secret between us Sigma fan... at least we 'know' what we are talking about, let the LBoys keep on spending :idea: