Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old May 26, 2005, 6:31 AM   #1

What is the difference between a TeleConverter and WideAngle lens? What difference does it make to the picture? Is WideAngle lens good to shoot movies? How can I get the `cinema effect' to my movies?
Glass is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 26, 2005, 8:16 PM   #2

OK, the first question is easy:

A teleconverter is basically a relatively narrow device that attaches between the camera body and the lense and adds more magnification - while not technically accurate, it's like having a magnifying glass between the two. Commonly, teleconverters offer either a 1.4x multiplication factor (thus a 200mm lense behaves like a 280mm lense) or 2x (the same 200mm lense would act like a 400mm lense). There are some trade-offs however. A 1.4x TC will reduce the lense aperture by 1 stop (thus a lense normally capable of f2.8 will now be f4.0) and a 2x TC will reduce the aperture by 2 stops (so that f2.8 lense now becomes 5.6). There is also some degradation of image quality which is why it is not recommended to use TCs on low quality lenses. On the professional qaulity lenses image quality with a 1.4x TC can still be excellent and 2.0x can still be very good.

A wide angle lense is the exact opposite - it's purpose is to have less zoom so you get a wider field of view and can fit more into the picture frame.

Now, as to movies, I'm a bit curious - you posted in an SLR lense forum and digital slr cameras do not take movies. What type of camera are you using? Or are you using a digital video recorder?
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2005, 8:22 PM   #3

Sounds like a camcorder question:?:
DynamoHum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2005, 3:40 AM   #4

Thanks for your informations. Appreciate it.

Sorry for asking that last question here about the movie. I'm using Canon S1 IS.
Glass is offline   Reply With Quote