Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old May 28, 2005, 10:41 PM   #11
Super Moderator

just getting the kit for now and seeing what you need in the future is a great idea.. plus its only 100USD more than body only.. not to mention its a very sharp lens for that price..

but yes, the sigmas and the tokina are all good lenses and you would be happy with any of them.. and yes the sigma's are worth the money.. about the meaning of life- i think we all have our own opinions here.. mine involves good food, pretty women and plenty of free time to take pics... (only have 2/3 so far, can you guess which?)

my advice.. either go for the kit only.. or go body only and get just one lens that covers more range, either the 18-125 sigma or the 24-200 tokina.. and then see what you need next.. don't forget your flash (check out the sigma 500 dg super)

best regards, dustin
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2005, 8:40 AM   #12

How are you going to be able to look your kids in the face after buying Sickma.

Really, Dont do it. It´ll only end in tears.

Do the right thing and get the 16-35 2.8 L.

LBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2005, 11:24 PM   #13
Super Moderator

Lboy,

how does that help.. you are offering a lens that costs over 1000USD as an alternative for someone who has admitted to having money constraints.. i don't get it.. i know you love your L-series lenses.. that is great, they are great lenses.. but not always within everyones budgets, nor are they always worth the extra expense..

McCall,

as i have mentioned before, sigma makes some very nice lenses, as does tokina, so don't be dissuaded...

best regards, dustin
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2005, 12:52 PM   #14

We´re not talking about sending an invasion fleet to a third world country here. cough.... Just 1000 bucks.

Personally speaking I tend to think its a false economy to chase the bargain.

But seriously, as wide angle is where the love is in this case, I´d say the Tokina can wait. (well theres an understatement). Rolling both costs together and were almost there. Bit of OT or HP and were laughing.

There another happy camper.

Next

LBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2005, 9:06 PM   #15
NHL

FYI - Sigma 18-50 f2.8 EX DC v. Canon 17-40 f4 L USM :blah:

... and the Sigma 17-35mm EX @ a local park:
Attached Images

NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2005, 4:46 PM   #16

Well, I've decided to go ahead and buy the camera WITH the lens, since it's only a $50 difference. I told myself I wasn't going to do it, but it will give me more time to decide on some lenses and possibly spend a little more money on them. I think I'll go ahead and get the 50mm 1.8 now as well. So THANKS to everyone for their help and LBoy, maybe someday I'll make you proud and buy an L lens. And NHL, again a nice picture with the 17-35mm lens. And Hards80, as for the meaning of life, I hope you get your 3/3. Thanks everyone.
McCall is offline   Reply With Quote