Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old May 27, 2005, 11:45 AM   #1

Ok, this is the deal. I'm a wide angle gal. My main purpose for getting the rebel xt is to shoot wonderful pictures of my kids (2 & 4 yo) and landscape-mountains and lakes, so my main lens needs to be wide angle and great in low light/indoors. So, after 6 months (3 months to decide to get the rebel xt and 3 months of looking around on forums, etc for lenses), I've narrowed it down to the Sigma 17-35mm f2.8-4 ex dg hsm (after seeing pictures from NHL of the ferris wheel), or the Sigma 18-50 f2.8 ex dc. My second lens, because of money constraints, is maybe the Tokina 24-200 AT-X242AF, this I can upgrade later. I welcome other suggestions, but I like the range of the Tokina, and the price. FYI, I plan on ordering the rebel xt today without lens, so I am totally new to all this, though it has been fun following all the forums. I love photography. Welcome all suggestions.
McCall is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 27, 2005, 1:46 PM   #2
NHL

IMO If you're a wide angle person, you'll be better off with the 17-35 f/2.8-4 EX or the 18-50 f/2.8 EX DC... The 24-200 won't be wide enough - although this option would be the better value of the 3

The 18-50 f/2.8 EX DC is a digital lens so it'll be the most compact. The 17-35 f/2.8-4 EX is a full-frame so you'll be using the best center part of that lens only - this lens also has HSM so the focus is faster, almost silent and you can also overide the AF full-time

If you don't mind the smaller aperture, you might as well consider the 18-125 or 18-200 which will give you a little more range... and better of an all purpose lens.
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2005, 2:37 PM   #3

Thanks for your response NHL. I should have clarified it better, but what I meant is the Tokina 24-200 would actually be in addition to whichever Sigma I get. I really want a nice lens for the wide angle and am willing to sacrifice on the tele end (only until I can afford a nicer tele that is-maybe christmas). My concern with the Sigma 18-125, from what I've read on some of the boards, is that a lot of people are not that impressesd with it... And I continue to ponder.
Old May 27, 2005, 2:38 PM   #4
Super Moderator

Go for the 18-50 as it gives you constant f2.8 across the range and perhaps match it with the 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO Macro Super DG.

That will give you a pretty good 2-lens combo.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2005, 3:51 PM   #5

Hopefully, during those 3 months you check out sample pictures at different zoom range (17mm, 24mm, 50mm, etc). The quality of picture might actually change...

Or maybe I'm too new to the SLR world...:?:

For instance, I have the lens kit, and I really don't like the quality of the pictures I get when the lens is at 18mm. There's nothing really sharp in the picture. But the pictures at 24-55 are great.

Also note that the general range for portrait photography can go as high as 50mm (head / head&shoulder). Wider angles will help for body / group pictures. I don't know if children at that age will affect the range but they'll grow up anyway, right?

So I think the 18-50 would be good if you considered portrait photography as a really important factor unless You are sure to get the 24-200, since that lens covers your range, alone.
BoYFrMSpC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2005, 5:18 PM   #6
Super Moderator

actually for portature.. the preferred focal length that gives the most flattering facial features is somewhere in the 70 - 125mm (35mm equivelent).. therefore w/ the 1.6 crop factor that is somewhere in the 45-80mm range.. i tend to agree w/ NHL here.. since you are starting out, maybe get 1 lens that covers most of your range.. you can save a little bit of money you can buy a nice flash with (sigma 500 super).. so i would second his recommendation of the sigma 18-125.. very nice lens for the price and covers a focal length that is useful for landscapes to portraits..

best regards, dustin
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2005, 9:28 PM   #7

I really got to drop by the library and pick up some books on photography...:shock:

At any rate...

You have to also consider who says they're not impressed with the sigma 18-125... Honestly, a ton of people say to stay away from the XT kit lens. Some of them really make it seem like it is the absolute foulest of the foul, but I really enjoy the pictures I get from it. I'll probably be less impressed when I purchase an expensive lens.

Also, I'm not sure if a filter comes with the 18-125... because I remember people complaining about the image quality on the 18-125 when they had a filter on.

Reviews may help you steer into a general direction, but it really is up to you whether you like the product or not. If you buy it from a store, it'll be much easier to return or exchange it if you end up not liking it. just double check the return policy.

I think the 18-125 would make a great general lens. But, again, just make sure pictures at 18mm are good for you.

BoYFrMSpC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2005, 11:17 PM   #8
Super Moderator

i am agreeing with BoYFrMSpChere.. you have to figure out what works for you.. since you are ordering your body first, when it comes in, you can always go down to your local camera store and try out some of these lenses with it.. see how you like the fit/finish and size.. see what zoom ranges seem to be where you need them.. and take some pictures.. then you can take them home and take a close look at them.. let that make the decision for you.. but if you can't wait you can sift through out advice and see what seems to make sense for you.. either way, have fun shopping and enjoy your new rebel xt..

best regards, dustin
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2005, 8:58 AM   #9

I think your on target with the 17-35 especially if you're going to get the Tokina for now. I tried the 18-125 and it is quite attractive due to its size, weight and reach. I found the AF to be noisy, slow and inconsistent in accuracy (but that's just one sample). The 18-50 might be a good choice but it doesn't have the HSM. I have not yet tried the 17-35 but find it temping due to the EX and HSM qualities.
Humrme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2005, 2:39 PM   #10

I'm soooo undecided again. Would love to try out the lenses, but I'm 2 hours away from "the city" and with 2 inpatient kids, well, they'd probaby kick me out of the store. Thanks for the info on the "flattering facial features", very interesting.
I haven't even ordered the camera yet, because now I'm thinking maybe I should just get the kit lens until I can decide on the lenses I want.
So here's a question, would I be happy with either of the sigmas and the Tokina (quality wise), are they good/great lenses??? Are the sigmas worth the extra money??? What is the meaning of life???