Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old May 28, 2005, 2:53 PM   #1

Has anyone used this combination? How well does the autofocus work? Are you pleased with the picture quality? Is it better to stay with the 1.4 extender?

Thanks

//jim
killdeer0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 30, 2005, 3:34 PM   #2

Hey DeerKiller,

Course I have used the 2x with the 70-200. No problems with that by the way. What on earth makes you think there will be a problem with the auto focus. Ok no precision AF but your still at 5.6.

Ok you will resolve more using the 1.4x but the 2x is a very nice addition to have in your pocket.

Let me tell you a secret about these extenders...

In a very desperate situation recently I even stacked those bad boys to catch a few naughty Yank troopers giving some Iraqi teenagers (who weretauntingthem)the gun butt and following ribkicking). Not nice believe me, and the picture quality wasn't too fantastic either. Don't get me wrong though - very usable images, just not biting L quality. In this instance the subject matter itself was the defining element that stood out. So in situations like that, when you need the shot but for the sake of your future children you dare not get any closer, the 70-200, 1.4x and 2x in any permutation is a powerhouse 70 to the moon portable zoom range pack. By the way you will still get auto focus with these stacked (somewhat drunken though. Depends on the light). As this particular episode wasn't over in 2 minutes or 20, I was manually focusing.

Ps for those that think the white canon lenses are not stealthy. They really need to try sticking anyblack barrel shaped object (contrastingto the sand brick background) over the top off or round the side of any down town Bagdad building during the last year or so.

Anyway. Yip, you´ll have a ball with either of these extenders.

:roll:
LBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2005, 6:27 PM   #3

Thanks for the info Lboy. Guess I read somewhere that people were having problems with the AF with the 2X. My local shop said to try it out and if I wasn't happy switch for the 1.4.

//jim
killdeer0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2005, 10:58 AM   #4
NHL

killdeer0007

Check this out: http://www.pbase.com/fstopjojo/image/43917016/original
... also: http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...24&forum_id=65
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2005, 2:52 PM   #5

No problem.

I read that link, but who knows what the problem is there. Probably his eyes. I´ve used 3 different types of2x converters with this lens and would recommend you stick with canon. I´m on my 2nd of those also as my first dropped out my pocket, but wasnt worth jumping out of the jeep for. Anyway both have been perfect.
Old May 31, 2005, 2:58 PM   #6

"probably his eyes"

I'm the one who posted that question. The problem with the manual focus could be my eyes, sure. But the autofocus? Sorry, I don't buy that. It consistently focuses on objects behind the subject. I could have the settings wrong, but what I see shouldn't affect the AF.
tmilner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2005, 3:42 PM   #7

Maybe you can try a different extender ? Strange that all is fine with your camera and lens together.

Its machines were working with. Unfortunatly they do not always perform identically to one another,and to the intentions of the designers 100 percent of the time.

What settings are you meaning?

try another 2xin a local store. (see if you cant switch them when their not looking :shock
Old May 31, 2005, 3:52 PM   #8
NHL

It's not the extender...
i.e. it's a close-loop system!

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...317920#p317920
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2005, 3:56 PM   #9

By "settings" I mean anything on the camera that might affect this. I'm still relatively new at this, so I don't discount the possibility that I am the problem. However, the 70-200 f/2.8 doesn't have this problem when I use it without the extension. I can use auto focus on a moving person and usually get good focus. The problem only occurs with the extender. Now, I don't assume that the extender is bad, since other objects in the photo are in focus, and when I use it at closer range, it performs better. What I don't know is if there is some setting in the camera itself that I need to make when using the extender so that the autofocus is more accurate. Could it be that the Canon Digital Rebel is just not the ideal camera for using with an extender? Just fishing for information here.
tmilner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2005, 4:17 PM   #10

NHL,

No I dont think it is the extender either. But the user seems to think so.

tmilner

Bar trying another one to establish the problem. Are you able to pass your set up to a friend to establish its not your eyes. ? :-)

Seriously I cant work it out. But with the machine in hand itsa another story.

If your recomposing on a short DOF, this could be enough to knock you off. I think someone mentioned this. Do you understand what I´m meaning about this ?