Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old May 29, 2005, 5:27 PM   #1

Hi guys,

I went to a local autocross event yesterday to test my 300D. I know that the stock lens does not have enough reach but I decided to give it a shot anyways. Well as for the results, I was really dissapointed because i couldnt go anywhere near 200 feet of any of the cones so obviously my 55mm max zoom is not enough to get good pictures.

I've decided to purchase a lens this week and I've narrowed it down to 3 lenses:

- Sigma 70-300 Super II APO

-Canon 55-200 USM

-Sigma 55-200 DC ( no USM features I believe)

You may recommend me more expensive lenses than these 3, however at this point I dont want to spend on anything expensive as I'm still learning. The perfect lens I need is basically a lens with enough zoom that is not too soft at full reach. I'm also contemplating if I should stick with 55-200mm since its equivalent to 320mm max on my 300D. Please keep in mind that I am not a pro so I'm not looking into any of the L glasses, all I need is a good overall lens that have enough zoom for walk around and race pictures.

Sigma 70-300 APO seems to be highly favored, but I thought I should throw in the canon 55-200 USM on the mix. What do you guys think? by any chance, anybody here had taken pictures of moving cars on the road or track with any of the above lenses?

Regards,

Casey
rally123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 29, 2005, 9:19 PM   #2

Rally,

There is a thread running in Canon EOS that you should catch. The same question only it's a 350D. As far as this is concerned there is no difference.

Canon 350d + Sigma 70- 300 mm .

dale

thatsanicepicture2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2005, 3:43 AM   #3

Hi Dale!

I've been keeping an eye on that thread closely, seems like a lot of people are pretty happy with their sigma lenses.

How about any online vendor that carries sigma? I've checked www.pricegrabber.com http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_g...a+70-300+canon

and digitalphotoclub.com shows up with pretty good rating, should I take a chance with these guys? or stick witih b&h?

Old May 30, 2005, 11:17 PM   #4

R123

I bought mine through Hot Digital on Ebay for $174 but they don't ship out of USA.

You can't go wrong with B&H. I think it's 219 there.

As for the 70-300 APO I don't think you can beat it for the money... But there is a few guys here showing pics with the non-APO lens that are nice. It's a little cheaper but... The APO just isn't that much more. But it's your wallet.

good luck
dale

Old May 31, 2005, 11:30 AM   #5

Hey Rally123 - Why would you want to "learn" on a lesser quality lens??

Do you plan on "learning" then selling the lens at a loss and buying a "better" lens (and "learn" all over again)??
Your logic escapes me on this one.
I shoot closed circuit club racing - my 28/135 is fine on corners and I use a 70/200f4 or my 100/400L IS for distance.

By the way - "I'm still learning" after 40 of shooting !

Buy cheap and you will buy twice!
Setiprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2005, 12:47 PM   #6

1)How good is this lens in taking hand-held shots at long end 300mm.
2)Is It compatible sigma 1.4X or 2.0 x convertor...

Thanks

pasu_chennai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2005, 4:07 PM   #7

Setiprime - You do make a good point, but for some reason its easier for me to spend $200 compared to $700 for sigma 70-200 f2.8 HSM. Afterall, I'm sure the quality of this lens will be much better than my stock 18-55 kit lens.

Old Jun 1, 2005, 10:44 AM   #8

Setiprime wrote:
Quote:
Hey Rally123 - Why would you want to "learn" on a lesser quality lens??
You gotta start someplace.... In a perfect world Rally and i would have 20Ds with big white lenses.... To suggest that spendingup to a1000 on a lens for a new user is just not reasonable.... We will know when we reach that point....
Then we'll buy that kind of equipment.

You go Rally
dale
Old Jun 5, 2005, 7:42 PM   #9

Hi Rally,

I have the Sigma super Macro II NON APO version. I bought mine at Cameta Camera. The sell on eBay and have a Real brick & mortar store. The have the APO version for $219.00

I got the NON APO version because of my budget limits. I bought a combo Package from them for $189.00 and Got the Sigma 70-300mm and the 28-70mm 2.8-4. I am Very well pleased with the lenses and the Store that I bought them from.

With the sigma 70-300mm at full zoom 300mm it is a little shakey. The grip and upping the shutter speed does help.

Good Luck with whatever lens you buy and enjoy it.

bluwing
bluwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2005, 10:55 AM   #10

I have just got the Sigma 70-300 APO Macro Super II for my 350D. It cost £139 from Microglobe.co.uk. 7dayshop also have it at this price.

Generally very happy except;

The zoom feels very jerky especially from 200-300 both in normal & macro mode.

Anyone else get that or is it time to ask for a replacement?

Anyhow here is an example of what the macro can do. Comments appreciated.
Attached Images

kitz is offline   Reply With Quote