Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jun 6, 2005, 12:26 PM   #11
Super Moderator

csnudelman wrote:
Quote:
"Sigma lense suggetions please"

My suggetion? DON'T

All things considered something in the Canon line should do you better.
Come now that's not very helpful. Do you have a reason for saying this?

A poor experience with Sigma perhaps, or an insight into some optical quality of their lenses that make Canon a better choice, perhaps you spent some time visiting a Sigma manufacturing facility and weren't impressed, or perhaps you don't like the boxes.

Knowing your reasons would help people to decide whether to take your opinion seriously.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2005, 3:50 PM   #12

Some reasons, I think, to stay away from 3rd party lenses.

1-The optic quality is generally not as good (many reviews show this) and this iseven more sotrue when comparedagainst Canon's best ("L" series).

2-One can't just quickly over ride the AF to use manual focus as with Canon. There is a push or pull or switch or some action needed (try both and see if it is not a pain) including, in some cases, alignment of rings to both go out of AF and back in again.

3-Canon's USM is the fastest, quietest motor around. Again, try both for yourself.

4-3rd party lenses need to be "re-chipped" to keep up with advancing technology. And, this can only be done once per lens. Then it can't be made to work properly with a new camera advance.

5-If you have a problem and Canon's service says "it's the lens, see Sigma" or Sigma says "must be the camera" what's ya gonna do?

6-The focusing and zooming rings rotation is opposite that of Canon's. Confusing, I think.

7-The Canon boxes are nicer.
csnudelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2005, 3:50 PM   #13

Old Jun 6, 2005, 4:19 PM   #14

csnudelman wrote:
7-The Canon boxes are nicer.

LOL.I like the sigma 70-300.Especially for the price.

Striderxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2005, 4:38 PM   #15
NHL

csnudelman wrote:

Quote:
1-The optic quality is generally not as good (many reviews show this) and this is even more so true when compared against Canon's best ("L" series).
It's been proven - except for the over $1000 DO, all other Canon 70-300 in this category are below average as compared to the <$200 Sigma 70-300 APO!

Quote:
2-One can't just quickly over ride the AF to use manual focus as with Canon. There is a push or pull or switch or some action needed (try both and see if it is not a pain) including, in some cases, alignment of rings to both go out of AF and back in again.
Not true for HSM lenses where you can full time overide the AF just like the Canon USM equivalent

Quote:
3-Canon's USM is the fastest, quietest motor around. Again, try both for yourself.
Have you hear how noisy the EF 28-135 USM is???

Quote:
4-3rd party lenses need to be "re-chipped" to keep up with advancing technology. And, this can only be done once per lens. Then it can't be made to work properly with a new camera advance.
This is 'new' to me - NONE of my Sigma EX need 'rechipping' yet - and I have several Canon bodies!

Quote:
5-If you have a problem and Canon's service says "it's the lens, see Sigma" or Sigma says "must be the camera" what's ya gonna do?
I've read more Canon users sending their lens in here...

Quote:
6-The focusing and zooming rings rotation is opposite that of Canon's. Confusing, I think.
It depends on the lens and if you're a Canon or Nikon users if the direction are opposite - this is mostly arbitrary any way :-)
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2005, 5:02 PM   #16
NHL

thommas wrote:
Quote:
nhl, did you use a tripod for those shots?
I used a tripod for this shot ('The Calm Before The Fall') - and it's not a Canon: :blah:

... mostly handheld otherwise

NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2005, 5:49 PM   #17

1. I have owned both Canon L and Sigma Ex lenses. I have no Canons left in my bag. Yes, some Canons are better than some Sigmas. But some Sigmas are just as good asCanons L series. I know because I had em both. One was the 70-200 f/4 everyone raved about. I bought it thinking it would be the best lense I would ever own. I am happy to say I now have the 100-300 f/4 Sigma EX HSM and Canon has the 70-200 back on there shelves. Sorry Canon L, but Sigma has you beat on this one.

2.My Sigma has full focus overide. No switches.

3. Sigma 100-300 is just as fast and just as quiet. Again, I have owned em both.

4.Have not had any of my lenses re-chipped. All work just fine.

5.Can not respond to this one cause all my Sigmas work flawlessly.

6. If you are used to Sigmas focus and zoom rings this is not a problem.

7. Boxes and bags. Who cares,all lenses end up in a gadget bag or backpack sooner or later anyway.

We can fight over who is better, Canonor Sigma, for the next 20 years. Its really not going to matter. If you like Canon L, by all means stay with Canon L. Some of us have been opened minded enough to buy and try both lenses. And Sigma EX lenses have my full support. And now fill my camera bag. Sorry Canon, Iloveyour camera,20-D, but your lenses dont impress me a bit. I think I will save my money and take a trip with my Sigma lenses. Just remember people, a photo can only be so good. And from my experience,the photos from my Canon lenses are not twice as good as the photos from my Sigmas. So why should I pay twice as much for a Canon L.
arowana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2005, 5:53 PM   #18

That is one very nice picture NHL. BRAVO. Very sharp. Very contrasty. And very much in focus. Great job.
Old Jun 6, 2005, 7:46 PM   #19

Funny, Sigma lens fans don't use Sigma cameras.

Next time you are at a news conference or sporting event try finding a pro using a Sigma lens. Or drop in at any decent size newspaper or magazine office and count the Sigma lens. Pulitzer winners use Canon and Nikon, not Sigma.

Look, someone asked for suggestions. I gave mine. I was asked to explain why. Which I did. Now lets see if someone can address the above statements. And don't give me "Nikon and Canon all but give their lenses to pros" cause it ain't so.

Old Jun 6, 2005, 8:21 PM   #20

You rarely see a heart surgeon driving a Honda either. Its all a partof fitting in. As I have said before,Canon and Nikon make great lenses. No one is denying that. If they didnt they would not be in buisness. But optically they are not perfect. There is not a single pro photographer that does not own a copy of Photoshop. Why? Because every single photo that comes out of that camera from any of there lenses is not perfect. Good,but not perfect. And Sigma lensesw are just as good as most Nikon glass and Canon glass. For a fraction of the price. I can duplicate any newspaper,sporting event or pulitzer prize winning photo with Sigma and Tamron lenses. Think about it. Why in the world would a pro need so many memory cards at 8 gigs apiece if every shot they got was perfect. You dont think they own cards that big, ask one. They take hundreds of shots and only pick the best ones. Not all are the best ones. And buy the way, you get me into any sporting event and I will flaunt my Sigma lenses all over the place. And the first Canon or Nikon guy that puts me down because of the equipment I am useing will find him self with a manfrotto monopod sticking out of his A _ _!!!!!!!!!!!!!