Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jun 9, 2005, 11:49 AM   #31

Hi CS,

The reason I don't have a Sigma camera to go with my Sigma lenses is Budget. Also I am waiting to see if they come out with SD11. :G

But until I decide to change systems, My 300D and Sigma and Tokina lenses are here to stay. "L" Glass is nice, But I don't like White lenses.. LOL...

bluwing
bluwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2005, 2:18 PM   #32

bluwing wrote:
[quote]

"L" Glass is nice, But I don't like White lenses.. LOL...

*I don't care for the white (off-white) lenses either. Even so it would not stop me from buying one if I felt the need. Both of my "L" lenses (24-70 & 135) are black and the other "L" lens I want (16-35) is also black. However, the 1.4X TC I want is the off-white but I just can't see puting a non-Canon TC between a Canon lens (in this case the 135) and a Canon camera. I think it would be asking for problems.

csnudelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2005, 9:33 PM   #33

csnudelman wrote:
Quote:
Funny, Sigma lens fans don't use Sigma cameras.

Next time you are at a news conference or sporting event try finding a pro using a Sigma lens. Or drop in at any decent size newspaper or magazine office and count the Sigma lens. Pulitzer winners use Canon and Nikon, not Sigma.
Extrapolating your arguments, MacDonalds makes the best meat because most people eat there, and Starbucks makes the best coffee because they have the longest lines of any coffee shop in the morning. "Look at all those people holding Starbucks cups. That coffee must be the best!" Uchhh

Just because many 'pros' wear a Rolex doesn't mean it keeps the best time nor is the most dependable nor the best choice in timepieces.

There was a time that any 'professional' mechanic wouldn't be caught dead with any tool other than Snap-On tools. But how many Nascar teams now use Craftsman hand tools?

There have been numerous head-to-head tests showing that many of the Canon lenses have some serious problems, and underperform compared to the L lenses. I have read numerous reports of folks sending back Canon lenses- one fellow had to get three 17-85 IS lenses to get one good one.

And looking at the better lenses:
Canon warranty = 1 year
Sigma warranty = 3 years

Based on that, Sigma lenses are three times better than Canon... See, any statistic can be used in one way or another- the bottom line is that there are numerous photo collections online that can be browsed- and I have seen just as many good and bad images taken with Sigma lenses as with Canon lenses (comparing oranges to oranges).

Twenty or thirty years ago your points would have been well taken, but today, with computer design and computer-controlled production facilities it is not so true.

The dogmatic point of view that Canon lenses are superior, period, will empty your bank account with haste and abandoned, but it is not necessary to do so to get good pictures- even superior pictures.

This was taken with the Sigma 24-70 EX DG
Attached Images

Randy G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2005, 10:17 PM   #34

The McDonald's meat and Starbucks' coffee would be the 'point & shoot' cameras of the photo world. Besides, that has nothing, AND I MEAN NOTHING, to do with the subject at hand. Comparing apples to oranges or coffee to camera lenses is one of the ways, as you say "...See, any statistic can be used in one way or another...". In fact, someone earlier in this thread added heart surgeons and Honda cars into the discussion. The subject is SLR lenses and nothing else. Now, you can bet your sweet tush that McDonalds and Starbucks use professional equipment in their kitchens and not Kenmore or Black & Decker. Reguardless, the fact remains, by and large the pros use Canon and Nikon and not Sigma. There must be a reason. Maybe even a good one.
csnudelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2005, 1:34 AM   #35

Just my pennies worth.

I have both a Canon 300D and a Sigma SD10 with Canon and Sigma Lenses, both cameras and lenses are very capable pieces of equipment and can both knock spots off each other in certain situations.

I would suggest buy the best you can afford but not because of the name, check the reviews and buy sensibly. Who cares what the pro's use, we haven't all got never ending wallets of cash and as it's been proven here great results come from the photographer, not the camera. Using the right lense for the job is what makes a great photo.

ie. Don't take a shot with a 50mm then blow it up expecting great detail, use each lense within it's limits and you'll get the results you're after.

Just my thoughts.

:|
mf_blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2005, 4:40 AM   #36

Hi Folks,

Yesterday, i decided to buy a Canon 350D (Rebel XT). But,this decision draged me two the second big problem :sad:. Lenses. I want to buy only the body of the350D (Rebel XT). So which lens should i buy? I am interesting in to photograf the nature and human portraits in small villages (country life).

I have 2 options:

1- Firstly the Sigma 18-125mm F3.5-5.6 and after a couple of months Sigma 100-300mm F4.5-6.7 DL

2- Firstly the Sigma 18-125mm F3.5-5.6 and after a couple of months Sigma 70 - 300 mm F4-5.6 APO

Which choice is better?

I am waiting for your precious answers, suggestions or help
RODRIGUEZ_TR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2005, 5:30 AM   #37
NHL

RODRIGUEZ_TR wrote:

Quote:
Which choice is better?
The 2nd option: " the Sigma 18-125mm F3.5-5.6 and after a couple of months Sigma 70 - 300 mm F4-5.6 APO"

... and make sure its says APO - II when you buy, its the 2nd revision of this lens
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2005, 8:17 AM   #38

I can recommend the Sigma 18-125mm F3.5-5.6, as I purchased it last month and so far I love it. I'm saving up for the Sigma 50-500mm!

Mark:|
mrcoons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2005, 7:06 AM   #39
NHL

... Regarding 'Pro' and Canon lenses - http://www.sportsshooter.com/message...html?tid=14447 :G :lol: :-)
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2005, 8:39 AM   #40

Play nice Boys !
Setiprime is offline   Reply With Quote