Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jun 13, 2005, 9:46 AM   #41
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 69
Default

I guess I'm a bit dull this morning. What does the ad thing have to do with the fact that most (almost all) pros use Canon and Nikon when using 35mm or digital cameras and lenses?
csnudelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2005, 11:29 AM   #42
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 3,396
Default

You do know that Canon does not make all their own lens inards, they do make some of them.
Like all big companies today they outsource to the most cost effective producer, Tamron for one makes the inards for some of your precious Canon branded lenses.

Even though I managed to buy a canon L that turned out to be a stinker I will never tell people to not buy Canon, generally you will get a good lens, though overpriced. And by going third party you would have gotten a lot more bang for your buck. To each their own.

This ongoing debate that only canon makes good lenses is about as valid as the Forever ongoing argument between the Nikon and Canon camps each claiming only their cameras can take good images.

Peter.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2005, 2:10 PM   #43
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 69
Default

Dear PeterP,

I don't know if your note of June 13th was addressing me or not but since it follows a note of mine it seems, to me it does. If that be the case let it be know I never said my lenses were "...precious Canon branded...", only that they were Canon branded. In fact I can't seem to find anywhere on this thread were someone refered to their Canon branded lenses as "precious". Please correct me if I'm wrong.

"This ongoing debate that only canon makes good lenses...". Again, pardon me but I can't find anywhere on this thread where someone made or tried to make the above point. I certainly am not involved in such a debate.

If your note was not addressed to me, I'm sorry. If it is you now stand corrected.
csnudelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2005, 2:37 PM   #44
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 3,396
Default

:homey: I am un-correctable :!:
Since that is all you have been doing in this thread,
nothing but ragging on Sigma (and 3rd party lenses in general)

csnudelman wrote:
Quote:
Dear PeterP,

"This ongoing debate that only canon makes good lenses...". Again, pardon me but I can't find anywhere on this thread where someone made or tried to make the above point. I certainly am not involved in such a debate.

If your note was not addressed to me, I'm sorry. If it is you now stand corrected.
Or don't you remember what you have posted. Here is a refresher.

csnudelman wrote:
Quote:
"Sigma lense suggetions please"

My suggetion? DON'T
All things considered something in the Canon line should do you better.
csnudelman wrote:
Quote:
Some reasons, I think, to stay away from 3rd party lenses.

1-The optic quality is generally not as good (many reviews show this) and this is even more so true when compared against Canon's best ("L" series).

2-One can't just quickly over ride the AF to use manual focus as with Canon. There is a push or pull or switch or some action needed (try both and see if it is not a pain) including, in some cases, alignment of rings to both go out of AF and back in again.

3-Canon's USM is the fastest, quietest motor around. Again, try both for yourself.

4-3rd party lenses need to be "re-chipped" to keep up with advancing technology. And, this can only be done once per lens. Then it can't be made to work properly with a new camera advance.

5-If you have a problem and Canon's service says "it's the lens, see Sigma" or Sigma says "must be the camera" what's ya gonna do?

6-The focusing and zooming rings rotation is opposite that of Canon's. Confusing, I think.

7-The Canon boxes are nicer.
csnudelman wrote:
Quote:
Funny, Sigma lens fans don't use Sigma cameras.

Next time you are at a news conference or sporting event try finding a pro using a Sigma lens. Or drop in at any decent size newspaper or magazine office and count the Sigma lens. Pulitzer winners use Canon and Nikon, not Sigma.

Look, someone asked for suggestions. I gave mine. I was asked to explain why. Which I did. Now lets see if someone can address the above statements. And don't give me "Nikon and Canon all but give their lenses to pros" cause it ain't so.
Sorry if I minunderstand your point, but it sure sounds like a genuine Canon (my precious ) is better than everything else rant.

Peter
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2005, 3:14 PM   #45
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 69
Default

1- I never called a lens "precious" and if you are saying I have then prove me wrong, nothing you just wrote addresses this. You jibber-jabber and assume and make things up but the fact remains I never called a lens "precious" and for you to contend I did is incorrect.

2- I never said "...that only canon makes good lenses..." and if you are saying I have then prove me wrong, nothing you just wrote addresses this. You jibber-jabber and assume and make things up but the fact remains I never said "...that only canon makes good lenses..." and for you to contend I did is also incorrect.

What I did say was " Reguardless, the fact remains, by and large the pros use Canon and Nikon and not Sigma. There must be a reason. Maybe even a good one."

I have enough problems with what I say and don't wish to address what I didn't say.

csnudelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2005, 4:51 PM   #46
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 3,396
Default

You are correct, If you read my original post I called them Precious Canon Lenses, I did not say YOU called them that. (at the price of good lenses they are a precious item).
csnudelman wrote:
Quote:
1- I never called a lens "precious"
NO??? You plainly said stay away from 3rd party products, which then infers that only Canon or Nikon branded lenses are any good. I assumed nothing, I pasted your own posts and you are now calling them jibber-jabber?? Well so be it.
csnudelman wrote:
Quote:
2- I never said "...that only canon makes good lenses..." and if you are saying I have then prove me wrong, nothing you just wrote addresses this. You jibber-jabber and assume and make things up but the fact remains I never said "...that only canon makes good lenses..." and for you to contend I did is also incorrect.
Never disagreed with this statement :-)
They usually work well, and if you don't have to foot the bill yourself it is hard to go wrong with them.
csnudelman wrote:
Quote:
What I did say was " Reguardless, the fact remains, by and large the pros use Canon and Nikon and not Sigma. There must be a reason. Maybe even a good one."
Don't we all :G
csnudelman wrote:
Quote:
I have enough problems with what I say and don't wish to address what I didn't say.
Peter.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2005, 5:06 PM   #47
NHL
Senior Member
 
NHL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: 39.18776, -77.311353333333
Posts: 11,547
Default

What do pros (or their equipments) have anything to do with good photographs?

... As I recalled some masters use Point & Shoot and even some pinhole cameras :lol: :-) :G
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2005, 5:16 PM   #48
Super Moderator
 
peripatetic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 3,599
Default

csnudelman wrote:
Quote:
I have enough problems with what I say and don't wish to address what I didn't say.
I'm thinking of adopting that for my sig.

peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2005, 9:49 PM   #49
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 3,396
Default

:blah: I always thought that setup advert image of all the pros with their canon whites, should be replaced with a flock of sheep with their white lenses and one black wolf in the middle with a not white lens. :-):lol::-):roll::blah:

NHL wrote:
Quote:
What do pros (or their equipments) have anything to do with good photographs?
peripatetic: Yes agree that is a good one.

Peter
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2005, 3:18 AM   #50
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 117
Default

NHL wrote:
Quote:
... Regarding 'Pro' and Canon lenses - http://www.sportsshooter.com/message...html?tid=14447 :G :lol: :-)
Do you have to be a registered user of this site to view the image that is being discussed?

What's really scary is that a photo-journo that works in Cumbria spoke about this web site at weekend and told me to try to get registered.

Sorry for going off the subject!

Carl.
CarlsPhotos is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:32 PM.