Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jun 29, 2005, 8:00 AM   #21

Sorry its taken a while, but I have been a bit busy of the last few weeks. Anyway John as I previously stated I would not be providing shots from work, but would look to supply something for you at least. So as it happens last weekI took the kids to the local zoo as the weather has been so good. In truth its the only opportunity of late I've had to showwhat this kind of equipment can do.Normally I wouldn't takea camera on aday out like this, preferring to relax and just enjoy the kids time, so I hope you appreciate the effort John...:-)

I am hoping these turn outnear to how theylook on my screen, however I just simply do not spend any time in general in my private life manipulating files for the web. So anyway I gave it a shot.

Equipment used - quite simply a 20D body with a Canon 70-200 Lf2.8 IS. This was used throughout the day.I knew it wouldcover everything I would need and on its own is really light compared to my work pack. In between looking out for two 4 year olds I managed to take about 100 shots, 20 of which I kept, from which the selection below was taken. This is purely down to time restrictions unfortunately at the moment.

Anyway

Attached Images

LBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2005, 8:02 AM   #22

Attached Images

Old Jun 29, 2005, 8:03 AM   #23

Attached Images

Old Jun 29, 2005, 8:05 AM   #24

Attached Images

Old Jun 29, 2005, 8:10 AM   #25

Attached Images

Old Jun 29, 2005, 8:30 AM   #26

6. Opps this is a bit big. And in my opinion not the best. Anyway its here now. This was a crop from a much larger shot, which included background and two fully grown wolfs. In this sense I fairly happy with it. High resolution chips and IS in play.
Attached Images

Old Jun 29, 2005, 10:51 AM   #27
Super Moderator

Point proved about what a good lens it is.

Beautiful shots all, and it's certainly not JUST the lens either, point made about the skill of the photographer too!

Lovely exposure and stunning composition - my favourite is the fish.

peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2005, 11:07 AM   #28
NHL

There was a post back from Kalypsoregarding severalbeautiful glamour shots than he took with various cameras from cheap Point & Shoots, "prosumers",to expensive dSLRs: The challengewas to guess which cameratook the better picture - No one at least from this forum got it right!!!

It's all in the skill of the photographers...The rests are just tools

NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2005, 5:10 AM   #29

NHL,

In this subject "photography" the equipment is asfundamental as the photographers skill and knowledge. We are not road runners where one pair of training shoes will work almost as well as any other.
Quote:
There was a post back from glamour shots than he took with various cameras from cheap Point & Shoots, "prosumers",to expensive dSLRs: The challengewas to guess which cameratook the better picture - No one at least from this forum got it right!!!

I not really sure what you are saying, so I will make a guess.

Every camera/lens is to an extent capable of fantastic shots in the right conditions.But a test like the above will not represent lifelike shooting environments and situations. Good equipment will mean the shooting environmentswithin whichyou are able to "get" the shot will broaden vastly. The photographers skill can do nothing to change this.On the other hand,an unskilled photographer with all the necessary equipment will occasionally get a lucky shot but in general will not become hugely better because of it.

As Ipreviouslyimplied,it isa combination of both that is required to obtain a high standard of consistency.

Quote:
No one at least from this forum got it right!!!
Well I'm not going to comment on this, NHL, cos although I'm sure it doesn't represent all participating on this site, .... you surehave said it all.

Take care. :-)

Peripatetic,

Appreciated comments. The fish is my favorite also, but the kidswere not so sure aboutthat one. I wonder why, probably reminds them of some culinary disaster I've served up recently :lol:. While trying to obtain as much variation in subject, I was also looking to grab some ofthemore unusualcreatures, that would also interest the children too.

Old Jun 30, 2005, 4:30 PM   #30
Super Moderator

nice pics, thanks for sharing!
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote