Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jul 4, 2005, 10:55 PM   #41

Attached Images

arowana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2005, 10:58 PM   #42

Attached Images

Old Jul 4, 2005, 10:59 PM   #43

Attached Images

Old Jul 4, 2005, 11:04 PM   #44

6 These pics are not quite as good as yours LBoy butthese aremy first shots from about 3 years ago and I had not had much experience with a camera. But a different aperature and shutter speed would of made all the difference. Pay no attention to the signature and date. I just figured out how to stamp my pics this weekend.
Attached Images

Old Jul 5, 2005, 2:25 AM   #45
Super Moderator

Nice snapshots arowana - just the kind of thing I'd expect a decent amateur to produce with a P&S.

To say they're "not quite as good" as Lboy's however is a massive understatement. No insult intended, they're just not in the same class at all.

I am no snapshot-snob, I think snapshots are great and can even be great art, but they are very limited.

Lboy is 100% right about needing the best equipment to be able to produce consistently good pictures under the widest range of conditions. The best equipment without a skilled operator is useless, but the equipment does matter.

As it's the BGP this weekend perhaps you might allow me a motor-racing analogy, you're essentially claiming that the driver is far more important than the car. This year's results prove otherwise; there is very little doubt Michael Schumaker is the best driver in the world, but this year his car is not up to scratch and he is unable to consistently put in performances that make up for this disadvantage.

peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2005, 9:06 AM   #46
NHL

"In the beginning there was a general problem with digital, not with my specific camera. But you can actually say that I have shot for National Geographic [with the point-and-shoots]. We just do it and show the prints, and they forget about [what camera was used]."
FYI - http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/mul...id=7-6468-7844 :blah:
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2005, 9:58 AM   #47

Do you think it is hard to find an exception to anything that is said? I don't think its hard or for that matter imaginative. :blah:

Quote:
Majoli acknowledges that most of his photojournalist colleagues think he's crazy, but he's been shooting with digital point-and-shoots for three years, developing techniques to deal with their shortcomings and exploring their unique strengths, which still intrigue him.

Most photographerssimply cannot devote time developing techniques to shortcomings. Hence their decisions about equipment.Thats all I can say about that nice little story.

Anyway well done. An interesting read.

NHL, Arowana,

Please take the last word and we can mayby then move on. Men usually feel much better about things that way :lol:. Although reallyI did find this a lot of fun. ..

Take care.

LBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2005, 10:22 AM   #48
Super Moderator

Nice documentary photographs - just the sort of thing I'd expect a magnum photographer to be able to produce with a P&S.

I fail to see how it has any bearing on the assertion in question however which is that to produce good results under a wide range of conditions, better equipment will produce more consistent results.

And he does state rather clearly that he'd rather have a digital rangefinder - alas such cameras are not available yet, and indeed a digital rangefinder that could use existing Leica M mount lenses without substantial crop is technically very difficult. The Epson digital rangefinder notwithstanding.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2005, 10:44 AM   #49
NHL

You guys totally miss the point: http://www.luminous-landscape.com/essays/parable.shtml

-> read this thread from the beginning (not from the end)!

... and regarding not so 'Pro' equipment: "However, the widest aperture of that lens is ƒ/4; I can put an ƒ1.4 lens on the 7D and still get three stops' worth of advantage over the Canon offering for low light." - http://www.steves-digicams.com/smp/07032005.html :G
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2005, 5:07 PM   #50

Thanks for the compliment Peripatetic. And just to clear this up before someone runs away with it,I was not trying to compare those photos to LBoys. The depth of feild, shutter speed and and composition were way off. As I said those shots were taken in my early days of photograpy. All I knew is that you loaded a card in the camera and pushed the little button on top and when you got home you had a cool picture to put on your computer desktop. So in a way you are right. Those pics are not even close to the class LBoy is shooting in.My main point is that you can take a point and shoot and produce LBoys quality. No not every P&S can achieve this quality and no P&S can be as versitile as a DSLR. I have stated that before. Thats why I have a DSLR now. But in a controlled enviorment such as a zoo the quality can be produced. And believe me, if it cant I will be the first to admit how wrong I was. We will see. Now as far as LBoy being 100% right about having to have the best equipment to get quality and consistency. Look you Canon buffs can keep telling yourselves that untill your dying days. I really do not care what kind of equipment you shoot with. I only care about results. I bought Canon lenses and they gave me good results. I never denied that. But I also bought Sigma and Tamron and the results were just as great. For a lot less money. The people who view my Photos do not give a rats a__ what kind of equipment I use. They, as well as I ,love the end result. The photograph. And I have not seen anything posted here, on the net, on other image boards or forums or on my own computer from the pics I downloaded produced by Canon lenses that I owned that would make me spend that kind of money again. I love my 20-D compared to the D-70. I love my 580 EX flash compared to Sigmas 550. And I love my new Canon ring flash. But when it comes to lenses Sigma and Tamron have my undivided attention. So please, by all means, shoot what you like. Buy what you like. But do not give me any more bul#$hit about " you have to have the best to get the best" because I know better. I had what you guys call the best. Now Canons selling it to someone else because it did not impress me at all.

Oh and LBOY.I am guessing you are a woman based on your "Last word" comment. Well if you are then you know good and well men never get the last word in. I am married and to this day the only last wordor words I am allowed to say are "I am sorry".But of course that is followed by her saying " I forgive you, now rub my sholders". So I dont see why this should be any different.I know you are going to reply to this post, so as long as I do not feel the need to defend anything I will gladly bow out of this post now. I think I have made my views perfectly clear and all my points have been made. So before these posts get viewed as a contest to the last word, I am out.

See you guys at the next dicussion.

Oh wait. Check out my spider I shot this weekend. I captured him and now he is hanging out next to my fish tank. He's so cool.
Attached Images