Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jul 5, 2005, 5:08 PM   #51

Spidey 2. These were shot with my 150mm Sigma micro and Canon ring flash.
Attached Images

arowana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2005, 1:58 AM   #52

Quote:
As it's the BGP this weekend perhaps you might allow me a motor-racing analogy, you're essentially claiming that the driver is far more important than the car. This year's results prove otherwise; there is very little doubt Michael Schumaker is the best driver in the world, but this year his car is not up to scratch and he is unable to consistently put in performances that make up for this disadvantage.
Hum, I won't comment on Miiiicheal being the best pilot in the world ... (yes, I will, he is nothing to A. Senna!:blah.

Just one general point: Guys like A. Prost or A. Senna had the balls to change team after a world champion title. If Micheal Shumaker is not winning, it's because he failed to recognise the rise of Renault. And that makes you quite bad, no?

Ohhh, on the photoand arguing side, that was quite fun, and a little bit of learning for a guy new to photography:G. And much learning on the arguing side:blah:!
polarwasp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2005, 9:12 AM   #53

I just had to include some comments here.
Firstly this thread has been a laugh and a half from the start to finish. Excellent.

Anyway it seems to me that there are some participants on this site that just cant handle others having a differing opinion.

The thread started asking for the best add on lenses for sports shooting. LBoy made the suggestion about primes, which seemed ok. I didn't see any problem with this.

NHL it seemed then suggested in an indirect way that this was a totally daft idea.

Everything then degenerated into a laughable slagging match.... ho ho till the point came where LBoy was told to make account of him/herself in the form of photographic examples.

This was done and incidentally, quite frankly over the last year than I have been watching this forum, LBoy posted probably the 6 best taken, most interesting and original shots I think I've seen on these forums. That was entertaining indeed...

(I noticed the shots were also posted over in the wildlife forum)

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...jump_to=337855

where NORMCAR who is probably the finest photographer of wildlife posting there said :

Quote:
You have a sense of art and composition that indicates to me either a natural talent for photographyor some history of taking photos. Perhaps you did some film before this and are just beginning to get into the computer and digital photography. In any event, these are excellent and each has it's own contribution. My favorite is the fish, just a super shot. Thanks for sharing.
It seems that JohnG who laid down the gauntlet initially, decided to take an early shower at this point and has not been heard of since .. oh dear. Actually I think thats a bit lacking.

NHL after bombarding us with hardware technical information in just about every previous thread, then tells us that the equipment means nothing and its all down to the photographer.

LBoy explains that it is both a combination of photographer and equipment that is required to obtain a consistently high standard.

However the debate continued in a further loop of ego and high octane personalities that quite frankly has nothing to do with the question originally posted.

So as the debate is now regarding a comparison of P&S against SLR, I think I will add an opinion :

While it really doesn't need to be said, the majority of talented photographers use SLR's and if not, then most likely even more expensive equipment. Digital Back – Large Format etc.

Anyway the point I'm trying to make here is : Lets not argue for arguments sake guys.

There has been talk of the little guy getting bashed – but I'm just wondering now who it is that getting and giving the bashing ?

Still I have to say this thread was a lot more interesting a read than anything else of late.

vindolanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2005, 4:34 PM   #54

Well I know I said I would stay out of this but, well, I have to comment. And please, someone else post after me so no one thinks I am trying to get the last word.

Vindolanda, I am glad you were amused at this thread. After going back and reading all the posts I was also amused. But none of this was supposed to be funny. I agree that the bashing went astray somewhere in the second page. And the subject went astray from the original topic on the first page.But there really was not a need to start a new " whos better than who " thread. The bashing started out with the comment of Sickma and how stupid, or unintelligent, it would be to by such equipment. Comments such as thathave no place here. Of all the posts that I put here I have never belittled Canon in any way except for there priceing. The Canons I shot with were just as good and just as acurate as my Sigmas. But the Sigmas were alot less in price. Quality was the same. And, as far as the comparison between the P&Sand DSLR goes, the only comparison debated here is that under normal situations and normal conditions in a controlled enviromenta P&S can produce an image just as good as a DSLR.Not after the RAW DSLR image has been processed inphotoshop, but straight out of the camera. And last but not least, the photographs LBoy posted here are great shots indeed. I would print them and hang themin my livingroom. And are also ,more than likely, 6 of the best shots posted here. But compare those shots to some from PHOTOSIGand PBASE. And I know that alot of the better pics posted there were notshot with Canon lenses or Canon cameras for that matter.So I am glad you were amused with us, and keep reading and keep posting. We can always use fresh insight.
arowana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2005, 3:20 AM   #55

Arowana... as per your request !!

I think the core of all this is value for money... and limited budget!

The rest was much fun, even if it went a bit too far sometimes :P
polarwasp is offline   Reply With Quote