Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jun 16, 2005, 9:24 AM   #11

I don't think the 50mm prime will be your best option either. It was a secondary suggestionHowever I think its range is perfect indoors with the 1.6 factor. You need to be a bit away from your kids in order to not bother them too much and have natural candids going on. Wide angle is going to change their faces too much (distortion)and your going to have to be very close for head shots.

believe me on this.
LBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2005, 2:12 PM   #12
Super Moderator

wburychka wrote:
Quote:
Be wary of suggestions to get a 50mm as your only lens. On a 20D or RXT, that is a short telephoto lens, and while some professionals use a fast short telephoto as their "normal" lens, they are usually not taking pictures of the kids' birthday parties or first Monopoly games or other close-condition shots. You need 17 or 18mm at the wide end of your zoom on your 20D or RXT for indoor or close quarters outdoor shots.

If you were going to go back to basics with your new cam, the 1.6x equivalent of the old "normal" lens would be in the 31-35mm range, like the Canon 35mm F/2 or the new Sigma 30mm F1.4 (Canon has a 35mm F1.4, but it is over $1,000).
I have the 50mm f1.8 and I only use it occasionally, but I'm not bitter because I didn't pay for it - it was bought with gift vouchers. :-)

But I also have the EF 28mm f1.8 USM (*1.6=45mm) and I use it as my primary snapshot lens. If you had to restrict me to just a single lens it would be a hard choice between that and the 17-85. Actually I would choose on the basis of the light - in South Africa I'd take the 17-85 because there is plenty of light all the time (except at night obviously) but in the UK I'd take the fast prime because we only see the sun once a week if we're lucky. If I had had a £1000 to spend I would have got the EF 24mm f1.4 L for sure (*1.6=38mm).
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2005, 8:52 AM   #13

peripatetic wrote:
Quote:
wburychka wrote:
Quote:
Be wary of suggestions to get a 50mm as your only lens. On a 20D or RXT, that is a short telephoto lens, and while some professionals use a fast short telephoto as their "normal" lens, they are usually not taking pictures of the kids' birthday parties or first Monopoly games or other close-condition shots. You need 17 or 18mm at the wide end of your zoom on your 20D or RXT for indoor or close quarters outdoor shots.

If you were going to go back to basics with your new cam, the 1.6x equivalent of the old "normal" lens would be in the 31-35mm range, like the Canon 35mm F/2 or the new Sigma 30mm F1.4 (Canon has a 35mm F1.4, but it is over $1,000).
Quote:
I have the 50mm f1.8 and I only use it occasionally, but I'm not bitter because I didn't pay for it - it was bought with gift vouchers. :-)

But I also have the EF 28mm f1.8 USM (*1.6=45mm) and I use it as my primary snapshot lens. If you had to restrict me to just a single lens it would be a hard choice between that and the 17-85. Actually I would choose on the basis of the light - in South Africa I'd take the 17-85 because there is plenty of light all the time (except at night obviously) but in the UK I'd take the fast prime because we only see the sun once a week if we're lucky. If I had had a £1000 to spend I would have got the EF 24mm f1.4 L for sure (*1.6=38mm).
Quote:
Good advice, The 30 35 is the old normal Get that. We are all losing our site of cam basics. the 50mm normal has and always will be th emain stay of photography. with f stops at 1.4 to 1.8 you just cant get anybetter then that.
1texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2005, 2:26 PM   #14

Why don't you just get the Rebel XD for 700USD and get a good lens other than getting the 20D for 1200?
Geeek204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2005, 4:36 PM   #15

Because the XT is too small to use comfortably.

Geeek204 wrote:
Quote:
Why don't you just get the Rebel XD for 700USD and get a good lens other than getting the 20D for 1200?
vjack is offline   Reply With Quote