Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jun 7, 2005, 1:33 PM   #11

I think that I am more accurately characterized as a Happy Snapper than a Tool Fool. :lol:

Still undecided.....:?

--M
mgipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2005, 6:12 PM   #12

An alternative is a prime. The 300mm F4L IS is the same price as the 70-300 DO, has IS but is a stop faster. However, it is 1 lbs heavier (2.6 lbs vs 1.6 lbs). It does take a 1.4x TC and produces nice images.

Barthold
barthold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2005, 4:24 AM   #13

Quote:
I would be quite happy to learn from you and change my opinion if you had anything interesting or informative to add,
peripathetic,

haha, ok let me teach you something as you have asked, butwill you listen?Your not quite getting the hang of this are you. :blah::O:G.
Quote:
And yet in other threads you counsel the use of the 70-200 f2.8 with 2x converter. Which is an effective 140-400 f5.6, how is it that this combination has the speed you require?
Depending on the situation. It obviously has the speed I require at the point of deciding to add the converter. Wouldn't you think? Or I wouldn't add it. The lens itself at 2.8 has plenty speed up to 200. Maybe you hadn't grasped this yet, butphotography is a series of trade offs which you have to learn to live with. Your DO lens is f4.5 at best even at 70mm and f5.6 closed down.Which personally I find restrictive in photographic terms. If I shoot from 70-200 I have the option of 2.8. What about this did you not understand? Without looking back to all previous threads I might have talked about the 2x extender as being a worthwhile inclusion in terms of a portable and inexpensiveworking solution to telefocal. If you want a 400mm at 2.8 your going to have to pay a lot of money, and be carring a heavy pack around. Your very subjective inthe use of information you use toattack me. Its funny because is this not the reason you dislike me in the first place ?

You might think what I have written tobe my opinion, but believe me nothing I have said is revolutionary. Just being what most photographers know or have learned. I have no intention of interacting with you till you decide you need to have your little mad turns. Why not just concentrate on the questions asked at the start. Try not to get so annoyed when you obviously just have not understood my sense of humor.

I will continue to try to give a viewto the questions asked. If you dont like them or they dont fall into your way of thinking, why not just ignore it, as was I think your advice previously.

Take care and please relax.

LBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2005, 4:58 AM   #14

barthold,

That lens you have mentioned is a cracker. (300mm f4) But it is expensive. I thought itcost more than the DO lens. Suppose it depend on where you live. I tend to think the 70-200 f2,8 and the 1.4x, although probably costing 30 percent more than the option mentioned is the most flexible solution. Weight and cost are the down side to this combination however.
LBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2005, 9:32 AM   #15
Super Moderator

here stateside, the 300 f4L IS is pretty much the exact same price as the 70-300 DO at approx 1100USD.. i have also noticed that it is fairly easy to find on the used market, i have routinely seen lenses in exc+ to ln- going for around 900USD.. so this could definately be an option if the price is right and you don't mind the size/weight..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2005, 10:55 AM   #16
Administrator

Let's be civil guys.

If you want to debate the merits of one lens versus another, fine.

But, letsnot make it personal with name calling, etc. (and some comments made have been removed).

Thanks.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2005, 12:04 PM   #17

Hards80,

By no means a knock on the 300 f4, but I am curious about something in general - not just this lense. Is the fact that there are 'a lot of these used lenses available' a red flag of some sort? To me that says a lot of people are upgrading. Again - never used that particular lense but I would expect that if a lense was truly a great lense you wouldn't see a lot of them for re-sale. Or am I off base?

Just curious
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2005, 2:05 PM   #18

Lboy,

I like the 300mm F4 IS cause it also takes a 1.4x TC quite well. Its price is about the same as the 70-300 DO around $1100. Also, its not that heavy. (see www.bhphoto.com). The 70-200 IS plus a TC costs 70% more, around $1850 and like you said heavier.

JohnG,

I can only guess but there is an IS and non-IS version of this lens. The non-IS version is no longer made, maybe that is the one you see on the used market a lot? It also has been in production quite a while, Canon probably sold quite a few of them, thus that could explain that you can find them on the used market.

Barthold
barthold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2005, 4:22 PM   #19
Super Moderator

john,

my guess for the reason there were a lot of 300 f4L IS on the used market was because it is a prime ata length that is covered by many zooms, i.e 100-400L, etc.. therefore, as the trends towards zooms increases ppl are dumping their primes in preference for a zoom.. but that is merely a guess..

best regards, dustin
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2005, 5:17 PM   #20

Does the 70-200 F4 take the X1.4 TC ? I have a feeling that it does not. I am going with this one especially because it is affordable and currently with a £70 rebate. I will not be using it inside and will make up for the loss of a stop with a monopod.
*David* is offline   Reply With Quote