Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jun 8, 2005, 10:51 AM   #11
NHL

mnmblu wrote:
Quote:
Then.......... you mentioned the $200 sigma, "everyone is raving about". Oh my gawd, is this the way to go and really just save a bundle to spend on others lens' or maybe add to my mod fund for the Porsche. I need a good coil-over suspension too.:O
There's a trade-off which you'll find soon enough though: 'action shots at the track' - Remember the $200 special does not have the faster ultrasonic (USM or HSM) focusing of the more expensive lenses

... Anyway it's a good start

NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2005, 11:08 AM   #12

Very good point NHL. That would be most important for my needs. Now down to two choices.:P

Am now leaning towards the Sigma but something is nagging me about the Canon. The look, the compatability, the size, weight, the IS... yada yada.

Question: Will the IS on the DO make up the difference in f stop to bring it more in line with the Sigmas abilities or is this more hype? I like the IS feature. I think the DO even has a setting for panning, which again fits my needs well.

I wonder how a lot of these decison makers in this world make snap decisons? I have to do my due diligence and agonize over choices before I pull the trigger. :?

The blue one is mine.

Attached Images

mnmblu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2005, 11:24 AM   #13

Quote:
All my werks are heavily processed... not trying to hide that fact, just want it to look appealing not necessarily real, ya know?

Oh yeah, I totally understood that. I only commented as I thought the movement above contradicts the static car below, in not the best way on that image. Still Seeing more of your shots is great. You've got an original bone there, keep it up.

LBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2005, 12:04 PM   #14

Lboy, thanks... You know how we all love hearing compliments on our work.:G

I know what you mean about the static. I was trying to give the impression of the silver car in motion just speeding by the stationary car in the foreground. The emphasis was to be on that beautiful Kenisis wheel. I do appreciate your observation though, it helps me to hear peoples preferences.

And... you don't have to ask me twice. :-)Here's another.
Attached Images

Old Jun 8, 2005, 7:00 PM   #15

Well, I pulled the switch on the DO. Got it at 17th St Photo $1099, $21 shipping to LA, $40 mail-in rebate and a $29.99 Hoya UV filter, the good one with the better coating allowing 99. something light in. So... the whole bang net out at $1109.89 delivered. Whadya think?

I guess that damn weight size thing won out with me. Also, the compatibility factor with the 20D and my other lens being the 17-85 USM IS, just seemed like a perfect fit. Now I don't have to worry about it fitting in the bag, and so on. Also, if I ever wanted to sell it, I think it would maintain it's value pretty well compared to the Sigma. That Sig is a nice lens and I was VERY tempted, very! I still have a nagging feeling but that is just buyers remorse, I guess. Damn this photography equiptment is NOT cheap. Now somebody buy a nice framed piece from me already. :bye::G I guess that's like preachin to the choir, huh?:angry:

Here's a couple more creative things I did last week. What do you think?

Attached Images

Old Jun 8, 2005, 7:01 PM   #16

And another of the local camera store

Hmmm, 214 posts and only one comment.Mama used to say that if you didn't have anything nice to say don't say anything at all. I think I'm in trouble with a tough crowd.:homey:
Attached Images

Old Jun 9, 2005, 2:19 AM   #17

nmnblu,

Ok I get your understanding however the ground below that wheel is moving, so anyway no matter, that one just doesn't work for me. You should try getting in touch with all the software gamin companies you can, with some samples of your work. There are always new and better versions of racing games on the market these days. They may be interested.
Old Jun 9, 2005, 9:46 AM   #18

Thanks Lboy.

Gaming companies huh? I never thought of that. Not sure how my images would fit into their scheme of things. Then again, I don't know diddly about that kind of stuff. Are you familiar with how they generate their images? Do they actually use photographs of cars? Anyway, thanks for you input and suggestion. I am always looking for suggestions on how I can further expose what I do. :-)I just got a new raincoat so I should be ready to go. :G

BTW do you guys have any thoughts on the Hitachi Microdrive, like the 2 or 4 gig card. Is it fast and goood. Seems like a pretty decent price.

Here is a Carrera GT I just finished.

Attached Images

Old Jun 9, 2005, 9:52 AM   #19

oh, they cheat all right. Well its not really. The box or front cover is artwork in a lot of cases.

Anyway was just a suggestion, you should be trying a lot of avenues.
Old Jun 9, 2005, 10:40 AM   #20

Oh, you mean for the packaging art? And... I am always up for suggestions so fire away if so inclined.

You are in Iraq, right? Man, I can't even imagine being there. Kudo's to you... and hope they are paying realLy well. Notice the capital L in really? That one was for you Lboy. I hope you remain safe.

One more, just a straight shot. BTW, like you couldn't tell, these are low res.

Attached Images