Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jun 7, 2005, 9:06 PM   #1

I just received the Canon EF 28-135 f/3.5-5.6 IS lens today.
However, Now I am considering sending this lens back and buying the Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L USM.
The 28-135 does not seem to have much of an advantage over the 18-55 I received in the kit. I know I am not using the 28-135 to its full capabilities.
I am in no way trying to offend anyone with this lens. I am just wondering if my purchase should have been the 70-200 or any other lens with that reach around the same price.
Do you think there is a big advantage to the 70-200 over the 28-135? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Eric
egartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 8, 2005, 8:46 AM   #2

The 70-200 is a better performer. I think you will see its quality over the 28-135 which is by no means that bad a lens.

The 70-200 is sharp from f4 on wards. Nice and light. Internal zoom. Well lit indoors with ISO somewhat bumped and you'll be laughing.

Apart from the quality, of course the obvious difference is that your shooting at a different zoom range. Unless you have a particular need for this range you might find it less useful than the 28-135, the range of which in my opinion is more generally needed for the average persons every day needs. Whether using 1, 2 or 3 lenses to get there.`But this is the whole point of the SLR. It allows you swap lenses. Zooms with a large scatter are harder to produce with bitting quality through their range. This is what you are finding.You have to decide what you want. A one lens solution or the capabilities of the SLR solution. In which case over time select your lenses for individual purposes.

I take it you still have the 18-55 that you can use, till of course you can upgrade to the 17-40f4L USM or the 16-35 f2.8 L USM :G
LBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2005, 9:27 AM   #3
Super Moderator

i have the 28-135 and honestly it stays on my camera 90% of the time..

the way i like to think of this lens is this.. it is not the best at anything, but it is good at many things..

it might help us help you if you can tell us what you plan on using the lens for..

best regards, dustin
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2005, 10:02 AM   #4

The lens will be used mainly to take pictures of my children.
Old Jun 8, 2005, 10:59 AM   #5

Quote:
The 28-135 does not seem to have much of an advantage over the 18-55 I received in the kit.

Just so we address the root cause, in what way are you saying the 28-135 doesn't offer an advantage - in 'reach' (i.e. max zoom), optical quality, low light performance? In what way does it fall short of what you want your 'upgrade' from the kit lense
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2005, 2:09 PM   #6

Quote:
Just so we address the root cause, in what way are you saying the 28-135 doesn't offer an advantage - in 'reach' (i.e. max zoom), optical quality, low light performance? In what way does it fall short of what you want your 'upgrade' from the kit lense
Optical quality was my main concern. I was expecting sharper images with the 28-135 lens.
Old Jun 8, 2005, 10:11 PM   #7

I went ahead and purchased the 70-200 f/4 today. It will be here tomorrow. Thank you all for the advice.

Eric